!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Short Circuit Protection for DCC++ System  (Read 626 times)

Offline drekly

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Short Circuit Protection for DCC++ System
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2020, 11:29:25 PM »
I suspect it's a large task taking DCC++ forward. Im just grateful people are spending their time and effort keeping it alive.

I may have a look at the WiFi options but haven't had any issues with bluetooth however, as I only have a simple test setup, maybe those joys are to come.

Cheers again for the link, I will have a look.

Online RBTKraisee

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2020, 11:37:52 PM »
I suspect it's a large task taking DCC++ forward. Im just grateful people are spending their time and effort keeping it alive.

Ain't that the truth!

I'm so grateful to these guys & (maybe) gals.   If I get a chance I'll buy 'em a round at some future meet event.  :beers:

Ross.
“The meek shall inherit the Earth. The rest of us are going to the stars” -Robert Heinlein

An Ex-Pat Brit:  Two decades living in Florida and still a shade of "British Tourist White"

Online RBTKraisee

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2020, 07:26:20 PM »
Amongst other things, the 1156 bulbs and sockets came in today!   And so too did the PSX2!

Ross.

“The meek shall inherit the Earth. The rest of us are going to the stars” -Robert Heinlein

An Ex-Pat Brit:  Two decades living in Florida and still a shade of "British Tourist White"

Online RBTKraisee

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2020, 07:37:48 PM »
I have previously 3D printed a box, the latest version featuring a working reset button, for my Arduino and Motor Shield (below).

Now that I see the PSX2 I'm going to need something similar for that too!

Actually, thinking on my feet; my Photon's print plate is small enough that I might need to cut the PSX2 into two separate PSX1's first, and print two boxes :)   I could even integrate the bulb sockets into it, just until I have a better place on my new layout to put them!

Ross.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 07:59:29 PM by RBTKraisee »

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2020, 08:00:25 PM »
Very neat. PSX2 box should fit in a Photon on its side easily enough.

Online RBTKraisee

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2020, 04:57:15 AM »
These PSX boards are ~123mm long, my photon's print plate is only 65x115mm on the flat, so it won't fit that way.   Thankfully it has 155mm height to play with - it's just going to take a really long time to print something that tall - something in the order of 18 hours, even using the lower vertical resolution settings!   I'll probably split this PSX-2 into a pair of PSX-1's and then try to print at least 2 tops and 2 bottoms for suitable boxes, all in the same print.

I've got a few other things I can try to cram on there at the same time too, such as a handful of "Tracksetta"-like template parts that I've been waiting to print in the vertical, and I also recently designed a "sleeper base" for testing how I might build a custom designed turnout.

The main one though, is I've got a design for a Travelling Post Office Sorting Van which will have moving doors and net, and being a Mk1 coach it won't fit the printer in any other orientation (unlike my Gresley's, which just fit diagonally across the plate!).

I ought to be able to get all of these on the one print and get the most out of such a long run some time later this week.

Ross.

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2020, 08:02:15 AM »
Put it on the diagonal across the build plate. You don’t need much depth, after all, the PSX is quite thin. I reckon it’ll fit. Or yes, split into two.

Will it take that long? Even on end you’re only talking about 120mm ish high.

What you need is the new 9” Photon Mono X ;)

FWIW for long bodies I just elevate them along the Z axis, I think about 50 degrees is enough to get a mk1 length vehicle in. You don’t want to print it vertically IMO.

Online RBTKraisee

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2020, 10:08:36 PM »
So, I've assembled all the short circuit gear and I think it's all ready to fit the layout (except the 3d printed boxes).

The conops here are to use a single PSX to provide high-level cut-off capability for protecting the programming track and a second to protect the main - and the bulbs will be used to provide local protection for the individual blocks on the main.   If/when the layout grows large enough to require boosters, I intend to protect each booster and everything in its zone, with its own PSX.

As my main layout is still largely "in development" right now it is being operated as a single block, so I only need the single bulb.   I'll extend the bulb wires out to locate the bulb somewhere on the layout when those features are ready to show (a while off, still!)

So here's the basic arrangement that I've got - and I think I'm happy with this as a solution going forward!  :)

A very big thank you to everyone who has provided advice - I really appreciate you taking the time to help me protect all my investments in the hobby!

Ross.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 10:17:23 PM by RBTKraisee »

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2020, 10:12:36 PM »
They look just like what I have put in my hallway. (The tiles, not the electronic thingies  ;)).
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online RBTKraisee

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2020, 06:05:23 AM »
Begun a box design for the PSX :)

I decided to integrate the bulb sockets into it, but I haven't yet added the mountings into the top piece for the M + F power connectors.

Ross.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
August Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal