!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: supply dc ac  (Read 193 times)

Offline STEVE44

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26049
    • Awards
supply dc ac
« on: July 25, 2020, 02:16:58 PM »
Hi I could do with some help. I am thinking of buying a power supply PSU1 from blocksignals. I would like to know if I can put dcc power supply into this then I would have three outlets for 12 v. Would that be enough power to run about 12 signals and other lights ie in buildings and platform lights. If I cannot use DCC power supply could I use a gaugemaster series DF which has accessories 16v dc. Sorry not to clever when it comes to electrics. Hope someone can help me
cheers Steve.

Offline jpendle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
Re: supply dc ac
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 03:25:43 PM »
Hi,

Did you read their website?

It says "Accepts AC, DC or DCC inputs"

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline STEVE44

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 03:46:26 PM »
Ok cheers.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 04:44:45 PM »
Yes you can feed the PSU1 with DCC (the specification says so) but why would you?   Use a separate power supply and save your DCC power for running trains and other devices which NEED a DCC signal to operate. Seems a total waste to power lights from DCC.

How many signals and lights you can power depends on the rating of the lights and the rating of the power supply you use.  If they're LEDs then they probably only draw 20mA or less, if they are Grain of Wheat or Grain of Rice bulbs then maybe a bit more, perhaps 50mA? 

On the PSU1 each output is only rated at 250mA (because of the fuse).  So that might be 5 GoW bulbs or 12 LEDs per output, but it really does depend on the actual ratings of your lights.

The Gaugemaster DF accessory output is rated for 1 amp, so using that to feed a PSU1 can only use 3/4 if its max rating (although it's a good idea NOT to take things to the max anyway so not necessarily a bad thing).

That PSU1 is an interesting little board, I see it's a voltage regulator module just like ones I've used in the past and bought cheaply on ebay (less than £2), soldered to a board with a bridge rectifier, terminal blocks and self-resetting fuses.

Here's the PSU1:

Here's the voltage regulator module on ebay, look familiar?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LM2596-Step-Down-Module-DC-3V-40V-to1-5v-35V-3-3V-5V-12V-3A-Voltage-Regulator-UK/152680549026

The only trouble with that regulator module is it requires DC input so you can't feed it directly from the Gaugemaster accessory output which is AC. That's why the PSU1 includes a bridge rectifier. 

For my current project I went for a different approach, I used fixed output rectifier/regulator modules which can take AC or DC input: one 9V module and one 12V module are wired underneath each baseboard and fed from a 15V AC supply, which gives me a choice of voltage to power different lighting. I found some lights look better reduced to 9V.

So, personally I think these rectifier/regulator modules as above are a better option *other than they don't have fuses built in*.  They can handle more power (1.5 amps) and they cost £3 as against £13 for a PSU1.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 04:53:36 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Offline STEVE44

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 09:14:03 PM »
Wow, thanks for the reply. I'm even more confused now. All I want to do is have good power supply to power my 12 or so signals and some lights in buildings and the lights on the platform. Can someone just tell me the best option to do this. The trains run off DCC but like to have DC to power signals and lights. Going back to the last reply is it as easy to wire the gaugemaster 16v to the last item you mention to get the 12Dc power. Help needed cheers Steve.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 09:21:47 PM »
@STEVE44   Yeah, sorry got a bit carried away looking into the PSU1 and coming to the conclusion it can be done a lot cheaper   :)

Yes, you can use the rectifier/power filter/converter modules at the bottom of my long post, with the Gaugemaster 16V AC output, to get 12V DC output. That's the equivalent of what I'm doing now. Two wires in, two wires out (which you can then use to create a power bus for your lights and signals).

Just remember to order the 12V version, and they come from the Far East somewhere so will take a little while to get here if you order one.  There are lots of different ebay listings for the same modules, if you want to you can shop around and see if there are any UK based, but many so-called UK stocks do actually come from China or Hong Kong anyway.

For the price, I would seriously consider ordering a 9V version at the same time - you might find it useful and you might even prefer the lights not quite so bright!  You can connect the 12V and 9V modules to the same Gaugemaster outputs, and then choose which voltage looks best for each light.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 09:27:57 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Offline STEVE44

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 09:42:11 PM »
Thanks , I will order 12v and 9 v . I will see how I get on. Cheers Steve.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
August Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal