!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Maitham Garden Railway by BradC  (Read 644 times)

Online BradC

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Chainswords Page Chains Word and Chains World
    • Awards
Maitham Garden Railway by BradC
« on: July 14, 2020, 01:01:15 PM »
Hello all, it's been years since I've been on theses forums let alone working on trains.  I'm now living as an ex-pat in Bahrain so have decided to build a Kato-Unitrack layout so if and when I relocate I can at least take the modular track with me, the only investment lost will be the table and scenery, all traction, rolling stock, buildings and a lot of scenery can be packed up and shipped!

That being said I'm looking for a way to temporarily secure mt Kato-Unitrack system.  I've seen many suggestions, perhaps there is even a post already if someone could point me in the right direction.

In addition, I've decided to run a blog alongside my project, hopefully it's OK to link to it, it's: www.chainswords.com  I wont be offended if the link is removed but it does show my layout, you just have to go to the Model Railroad Section and there are a few posts already of the table, foam top and some of the carving and painting works.  Please forgive me if this is not allowed but I want to show off my layout, get some feedback and get active on these forums again.

Actually after reading a few other posts I left out some information, the layout plan is slightly modified version of one I found on the internet, not all the credit is mine.  The system will be a North American railroad of slightly mixed generations, I'm not that much of a generation expert.  I'm planning on putting things I've seen and personally liked.  I wish I could make a full INTERMODEL layout but just not enough room for all the stacks, yards and loooooong trains.  So far just some two SD-35 high hood, EMD leasing switchers with an SD-40-2 on the way.  The SD40-2 is a Broadway Limited, I've heard good things about these and it is DCC with sound ready!  Can't wait for it to arrive.  Also mixed freight rolling stock but more of that to come after the layout is running.

I have the SCARM plans but I'm not sure how to post them, I'll try posting the file, let me know if anyone can see it or convert it for me so everyone can see, I know not everyone has SCARM.  Actually I have no idea eve how to post the file. 

Could someone help on how to convert or even put on my website so people can see and give feedback please, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks, BradC / Chainswords (Chainswords or Chainsword is my on-line / gaming handle so I will intermix both and my real name is actually Brad.

Thanks for reading, I've got a lot to figure out about the forums!

« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 01:13:32 PM by BradC »
www.chainswords.com to follow the progress of my layout construction

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Maitham Garden Railway by BradC
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 01:13:16 PM »
Hello Brad,
Most folks tend to put the link to their layout in their signature, which you can do by changing your forum profile.
I use SCARM and either export it to a jpeg and then upload it as a picture (see Help & FAQs for uploading pics) or convert it to a pdf and attach it to a post using the 'Attachments and other options' underneath the text box when you compose a post.
Good luck!

Online BradC

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 01:23:53 PM »
Hi Newportnobby, thanks for the tips.  I think the Export worked!  Lets see.

OK, I'm not sure if this worked.. Lets see, if not I'll keep editing until I get it right! :)

Ahh it worked, even twice, thanks so much for the help!!!!  I love this community!

Online zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 01:53:00 PM »
I use Copydex (water based rubber solution glue) to secure my Unitrack when I can, but due to not being able to get it here in Spain and not (yet) knowing what the local equivalent is, I've just used small amounts of PVA.

PVA isn't ideal as you have to wet the baseboard down a bit to be able to peel the track off without too much damage when you remove it. Copydex is ideal for Unitrack as it hold firm when in use but peels off easily when you need to move the track.

Online emjaybee

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 02:12:58 PM »
+1 on the Copydex, if you can get it. You just slide a thin blade under, and then the residue will just rub off the track.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Online BradC

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 03:18:29 PM »
Hey thanks zwilnik for the recommendation, I'll have to have a look at it.  Nice part is I have an Aramex account so I can order from anywhere in the world!  Thanks too emjaybee for for the + on it.  I'll look for it and see how it goes, I'll keep you posted.  If I can get it I'm sure I can send some to Spain for you if you need it bad.

Thanks guys, stay safe!

Add: Just checked I can get it from the UK easy, the local hardware stores carry it.  My wife is there, I'll have her grab a tube and try it!  Thanks! 

If you really need it PM me your address and I'll have my wife ship you a tube.

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 03:21:59 PM by BradC »

Online BradC

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 05:42:01 PM »
Since I know not everyone will go to my website and plow through the posts, here is the latest progress on the table foam top and painting:

Also here is just some of the testing track on a desk with all my construction stuff:

If you can't tell, I'm so excited about this project!  Sorry for spamming posts, I try and keep most of it on my website, www.chainswords.com but I know not everyone will visit so I'm sharing some here too!

Take care, be safe!!!

Online emjaybee

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2020, 09:41:32 PM »
Good start there.

Can you give us some dimensions for your baseboards? It'll help to give some idea of how the track plan works.

Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Online BradC

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2020, 08:59:05 AM »
Hi thanks for the compliments, the board is 2400mm x 2400mm x 1000mm x 1400mm x 1000mm.  Since I left the US i work in metric haha

The total area is approximately 53 square feet so its kind of small for now but much room for expansion, even a plan for an helix extension and a second level too!  someday...

I just have to keep it mobile and the table and any construction or glued scenery won't be so it will remain visually basic but the fun part is running the trains.

The plan is to run a double main line with two cut tracks, a classification yard and a north short line.  So basically mainline consists will cut on the two cut tracks for the switchers to pull back to the run off line for classification and rebuilding of consists.  The cut lines can also be used as extended main lines when switching operations are not in effect.

I hope that makes sense, my railroad lingo has been forgotten over the years...  I'm sure it will come back.  Any suggestions for a place that defines rail network terminology?  It would be nice to sound like a professional operator! :)

Thanks

Online BradC

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 09:18:07 AM »
Two of my babies touched the layout today, I'm like a child with this, so excited!!!!

Just a little posing of my only two Loco's...  So lonley, can't wait to get them running on main lines!

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2020, 09:58:03 AM »
@BradC  My layout Averingcliffe is all Kato Unitrack and I have just used small amounts of PVA to hold it down - keeping it well away from the points!  ;). When I have decided to move some track, I just slide one of those cheap 'snap off' knives with the slightly flexible blades under the track, the track lifts easilly.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online BradC

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2020, 10:06:30 AM »
Thanks dannyboy, I was kind of thinking that but was nervous would end up with glue all over the track and making a mess.  I might have to try a few options but PVA glue sounds like a good try.  I'll test it later this week with a few pieces. 

Thanks for the advice!, I'll check out your layout now too, is it posted?  I'm sure I can find it under your profile.

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2020, 10:27:54 AM »
If you look at the underneath of a piece of Unitrack, you will see little round bits, (to take track screws/nails?). I tend to put a small amount of PVA on those round bits, plus a drop in one or two places on the outside edge of the piece, put it in position and weigh it down. Because of the way Unitrack clips together, it tends to hold itself in place, but a drop of glue helps - very little is required. I also use the Kato ballast to disguise the edge of the track a bit, so this also helps in fixing the track.

Averingcliffe starts here
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=44061.msg547551#msg547551
it is a bit longwinded, currently on page 17, but the thread was started 18 months ago, (flippin' 'eck!).
David.

Online BradC

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2020, 10:35:09 AM »
Thanks again, yea I saw those what look like nail holes but you have to punch through the top, I tried one and it looked terrible and the nails required are so small they would never hold anything...  What is this Kato Ballast, I'm going to have to look that up now!  Thanks for all the advice, glad to have a fellow Kato track man to help me.

A lot of people despise Kato because it's so easy, in fact I used to also hate it and swore I would never go away from Atlas, roadbed, Ballast switch machines and all that crazy hard work but requiring a layout I can pack up Kato has won me over!!!  You have no idea how many layouts I have started and had to just waste when I moved, switches and track do not come cheap!

Sen me a link to your layout, I couldn't find it, would love to see how you have yours done!

:photospleasesign: :thankyousign:

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2020, 10:42:29 AM »
Thanks for all the advice, glad to have a fellow Kato track man to help me.

There are lots of Kato users on the forum. www.fiferhobby.com has some useful advice on his site about using and adapting Unitrack, including how to make, (slightly), flexible track.

Sen me a link to your layout, I couldn't find it, would love to see how you have yours done!

Averingcliffe link -
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=44061.msg547551#msg547551

Addit: There are also a few threads on the forum regarding Kato Unitrack - this is one =
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24931.msg266521#msg266521
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 10:46:22 AM by dannyboy, Reason: added a bit »
David.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
August Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal