!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Signal / point cranks  (Read 177 times)

Offline Danielmc1

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Signal / point cranks
« on: July 14, 2020, 01:57:28 AM »
Iím toying with the idea of building a few Ratio lower quadrant semaphore signals and making an attempt at operating with my spare Megapoints channels and servos. Iím not convinced this will be doable for me, but Iíd like to give it a shot!

For the bracket signal I will need at least two cranks... The only place Iíve found any for sale is the 2mm society website and it looks as though you need to pay to be a member to make any purchases from their site.

Does anyone know if there are any cranks available for sale elsewhere (and pins small enough!) or if maybe itís worth joining up for a year to the society? Perhaps they have other items for sale that other modellers can recommend to make the most of a years membership...?

Iím also toying with the idea of cosmetic point rodding which the same or similar crank set would be perfect.

http://www.2mm.org.uk/products/shops.php?shop_num=1

Online PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
Re: Signal / point cranks
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 07:48:09 AM »

Offline Danielmc1

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 09:52:44 AM »
Ah.... now thatís interesting.... Iíve been looking at these signals on their website but didnít take the plunge as I wasnít convinced I could solder anything so small neatly enough, but again I couldnít work out how to get them working - I obviously hadnít come across these post fixings - not sure how I missed them?!

Well since Iím ordering the cranks I may as well add a signal or two and see how I get on...

Offline Danielmc1

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 01:22:19 AM »
The MSE etchings have arrived in the post.

I knew theyíd be small, but WOW...

I think even a track pin will be too large to act as a pivot for those cranks?! If that doesnít work, I canít think of anything thin yet strong enough that would work. I canít imagine being able to solder anything that tiny either. Is glue an option with these I wonder?

Either way, Iíll give it a whirl - I have nothing really to lose now I suppose 😆

I was looking at a video of the mechanism for what I think was a OO dapol bracket signal (Chadwick model railway)...

...it uses a simple Ďbeamí on a pivot under the bracket which I think is how Iím going to have to tackle mine. There must be some etches I can make use of for this somewhere so Iíll do some searching.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
August Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal