!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Brookline  (Read 1209 times)

Offline Andy-S

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28292
    • Awards
Re: Brookline
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2020, 12:30:43 AM »
I use a Brother label printer to label wires, they even produce a heat shrink printable tubing if you donít like flag type labels. Available from the usual diy / electrical suppliers.

Offline LASteve

• N Gauge Society Number: 28183
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2020, 06:11:32 AM »
I think the secret is to get as many colours of cable as you can and then colour code as much as possible.
I have at least eight colors of cable in at least 4 gauges with plans to separate bus, droppers, point motors, frog power from the DCC side and a DC bus with low-voltage feeds color-coded accordingly.

I have to date

Red/Black DCC Main Bus in one wire gauge (16 AWG) - Win
Red/Black track droppers to a power distribution board in 22AWG - Win
Blue/Green power to point motors in mostly the same gauge - call it a Win but it's a mix of single and multi-core too, so maybe a just-Win
Mostly white frog wires to the motors or juicers for the crossovers in any gauge handy - let's call that a vague Win, but we're getting close to a Lose
White and Black DC bus in one wire gauge - Win! But not hard, it's a single run of two wires. Hard to screw that up.
Then it all goes to hell in a handbasket - I've got blue, green, white, black, red and yellow (where the hell did yellow come from)? in gauges from 24awg to 32 lighting the DC stuff. - Major Lose to the point it negates all the other wins.

Result? Spaghetti, but at least due to the 3M Painters' Tape I know where it all goes. Or I think I do.

However, all wire pairs are identified with blue painter tape annotated with a Sharpie referring back to the original wiring diagram I made a couple of years ago, so that's something. Let's call that a solid win.

Online emjaybee

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2020, 11:53:53 PM »
I think the secret is to get as many colours of cable as you can and then colour code as much as possible.
I have at least eight colors of cable in at least 4 gauges with plans to separate bus, droppers, point motors, frog power from the DCC side and a DC bus with low-voltage feeds color-coded accordingly.

I have to date

Red/Black DCC Main Bus in one wire gauge (16 AWG) - Win
Red/Black track droppers to a power distribution board in 22AWG - Win
Blue/Green power to point motors in mostly the same gauge - call it a Win but it's a mix of single and multi-core too, so maybe a just-Win
Mostly white frog wires to the motors or juicers for the crossovers in any gauge handy - let's call that a vague Win, but we're getting close to a Lose
White and Black DC bus in one wire gauge - Win! But not hard, it's a single run of two wires. Hard to screw that up.
Then it all goes to hell in a handbasket - I've got blue, green, white, black, red and yellow (where the hell did yellow come from)? in gauges from 24awg to 32 lighting the DC stuff. - Major Lose to the point it negates all the other wins.

Result? Spaghetti, but at least due to the 3M Painters' Tape I know where it all goes. Or I think I do.

However, all wire pairs are identified with blue painter tape annotated with a Sharpie referring back to the original wiring diagram I made a couple of years ago, so that's something. Let's call that a solid win.

Red/Black in 1.5mm for the track bus. (Seperate bus as it will be both DC and DCC (but not at the same time))
Red/Black Peco wired fishplates.
1.0mm Blue/Brown - white covered flex for the DCC bus.
16/0.2 Blue/Orange for DCC feeds to Cobalts, Turnout switches, Turnout LED's. (Don't have brown)
16/0.2 Green for Cobalt Frog feeds, Turnout LED's common.
16/0.2 White/Yellow for manual turnout switches. (half have two yellow, one white, and the other half have two white and one yellow as I was going to run out of wire)
16/0.2 Red/Black for various other ancillary bits and bobs.

All connected up and tested! Happy days!

Bonus points to anyone that can fathom out what the mimic board is made from.

:D

Oh, okay. I've discovered that plastic vehicle number plates are just the job. They're easy to cut, easy to drill and just a nice thickness. A quick, light sand, primer and good ol' Transit white. The track plan was old pin stripe self adhesive tape from my RC Car days.

There's still a few bits to go on it, uncoupling switches and some occupation LED's.

Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Offline LASteve

• N Gauge Society Number: 28183
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2020, 02:39:22 AM »
. I've discovered that plastic vehicle number plates are just the job. They're easy to cut, easy to drill and just a nice thickness. A quick, light sand, primer and good ol' Transit white.
That's good thinking. You can find the board from 100 yards away with a flashlight if theres a power outage. Does the other mimic board come in yellow? :bounce: I'm easily amused.

Online emjaybee

• Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2020, 08:03:51 AM »
. I've discovered that plastic vehicle number plates are just the job. They're easy to cut, easy to drill and just a nice thickness. A quick, light sand, primer and good ol' Transit white.
That's good thinking. You can find the board from 100 yards away with a flashlight if theres a power outage. Does the other mimic board come in yellow? :bounce: I'm easily amused.

Ah, unfortunately it was the reflective side that got painted...

...but I like your thinking.    :D

Brookline build thread:

Online emjaybee

• Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2020, 11:50:05 PM »
A bit of clarification and explanation of the mimic/control panel.

The turnout LED's are red with the exception of the two on the 'loop'. These are green, so if I want to run laps I know that I have to have two green LED's lit before proceeding. All the turnouts can be controlled from the sprung centre toggle switches, if I'm running DC then I don't need to plug in the Daisy II handset to use the track.

The large two way changeover switch at the bottom in the middle allows me to change the track power between DC and DCC. The switch has a centre off position to avoid any momentary 'overlap'. So, if I want to run a new loco in, or just run an un-chipped loco I can, then with a flick of the switch the track is DCC.

On the left hand side at the top is a 3.1mm socket. This is powered by the two way changeover switch next to it. Power to the socket can be changed from the Programming Track power, for programming locos, to a standard DCC signal to allow me to pull off power to test DCC modules, servos etc. This size socket is less common, the idea being to hopefully avoid plugging the wrong thing in and creating smoke!

The lower socket is a DC 2.1mm auxilary power input for anything else that is likely to require power.
Brookline build thread:

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2020, 06:42:25 AM »
It looks as though you've got all the angles covered.  :)
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online emjaybee

• Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
Servo controlled uncoupling ramp.
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2020, 11:23:26 PM »
I've made a Mk1 version of my servo controlled uncoupling ramp.

Here's two short videos showing a demo.

https://youtu.be/uW8jYRaVHzQ

The Peco manual uncoupling ramp has a sweeping curved profile on the top. I'm not sure why. I'm trying to get a reliable system that I can blend into the track disguised as a foot crossing or some such thing.

https://youtu.be/0PHa8jASLH4

It's a lot of servo, control board and effort for a tiny amount of movement, but it's a good starting point. I've really got to get all parts accurately attached, a small deviation seems to be amplified in use.

Suggestions are more than welcome.
Brookline build thread:

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2020, 08:35:43 AM »
That looks like a promising start.  I am hoping to develop an automatic method of uncoupling as trains pass, but what you have demonstrated could be a start.  Well done!
With kind regards
Laurence

Online emjaybee

• Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2020, 08:59:22 AM »
That looks like a promising start.  I am hoping to develop an automatic method of uncoupling as trains pass, but what you have demonstrated could be a start.  Well done!

Can you elaborate a bit on your plan? How are you thinking of doing it?
Brookline build thread:

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2020, 09:28:46 AM »
Up to now, I've tried magnets, with various degrees of success and the Dapol system, but that is a non-starter with my small prairies.  I might investigate using a sensor to operate the servo, using your method of operating the ramp.  It may prove to be a blind alley, but it is worth experimenting.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
Re: Servo controlled uncoupling ramp.
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2020, 09:41:22 AM »
I've made a Mk1 version of my servo controlled uncoupling ramp.

Here's two short videos showing a demo.

https://youtu.be/uW8jYRaVHzQ

Looking promising.

The Peco manual uncoupling ramp has a sweeping curved profile on the top. I'm not sure why.

The Peco one seems to sit at, or slightly above, railhead level. I suspect the curved profile is simply so it doesn't snag any couplings that hang slightly low or snag any if it wasn't fully returned to the down position.

@Black Sheep  - this could be worth you keeping an eye on for Milliedale-on-Sea.

Online emjaybee

• Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2020, 11:40:40 PM »
Up to now, I've tried magnets, with various degrees of success and the Dapol system, but that is a non-starter with my small prairies.  I might investigate using a sensor to operate the servo, using your method of operating the ramp.  It may prove to be a blind alley, but it is worth experimenting.

My first thought on this idea would be how does the uncoupler sensor know which wagon to uncouple?

Surely it would want to uncouple any vehicle that passes, so you'd have to solve the problem of the system trying to uncouple every vehicle that passes.

Keep us posted on progress.
Brookline build thread:

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2020, 06:29:59 AM »

My first thought on this idea would be how does the uncoupler sensor know which wagon to uncouple?

Surely it would want to uncouple any vehicle that passes, so you'd have to solve the problem of the system trying to uncouple every vehicle that passes.

I think what Laurence is after achieving is for a dead end platform road - so the train comes in and the loco is uncoupled automatically before drawing forward to clear the loop points so it can run around the train.
In that application he's only got one uncoupling to be done and it'd always be the same combination of loco and vehicle.

Online emjaybee

• Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2020, 07:34:29 AM »
Oh, okay, yes I can see that could work.
Brookline build thread:

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00