!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Fiddliest Projects  (Read 254 times)

Offline icairns

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 6662
  • 2mm Association Number: 5510
    • Awards
Fiddliest Projects
« on: June 30, 2020, 10:17:59 PM »
Because of the current COVID-19 situation, I have been cranking through my 2020 project ”to do” list at warp speed (compared to my normal pace).

As my layout is substantially complete, the majority of these projects were layout detailing tasks. 

Two of the fiddliest projects that I have successfully completed were adding a representation of point rodding and installing vehicle wheel chocks on the NGS car-flats.

Point Rodding

Before anyone gets excited, I have only installed a representation of point rodding – it is not prototypically accurate but I think it adds a nice detail that is not always modelled.

I bought some etches of rods, cranks, compensators and stools from the 2mm Scale Association.  However, I got a shock when I downloaded the 2mm Scale Associations instructions – they run to 56 pages!

I decided that this was going to be too complicated for me so I used the cranks and few other pieces from the etch and incorporated them into my own rodding design using plasticard. 

I am fortunate that the points on my layout that would be operated by rodding are all fairly close to the signal box.

Overall, I am very pleased with the result but it was definitely the fiddliest job I have ever done on my layout. 

Finally, I was able to tell my wife that the point rodding project had been completed.  She said: ”Oh, good.  Does that mean there’s going be less swearing now?”

Car-Flat Vehicle Wheel Chocks

Actually, this project was not as fiddly as I thought.  Wheel chocks were made from Plastruct 1.0mm triangular rod (#90842), painted yellow and cut to size.  An illuminated magnifying light, a steady hand, and a good pair of tweezers were all that was required. 

What are some of the fiddly jobs other people have completed recently?

Ian

Offline Webbo

• Awards
Re: Fiddliest Projects
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 07:51:57 AM »
I'm very impressed with the point rodding, Ian. However, I'm having to reconsider what I consider to be fiddly after seeing your fine work.

Webbo

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 11:47:38 AM »

Car-Flat Vehicle Wheel Chocks

Actually, this project was not as fiddly as I thought.  Wheel chocks were made from Plastruct 1.0mm triangular rod (#90842), painted yellow and cut to size.  An illuminated magnifying light, a steady hand, and a good pair of tweezers were all that was required. 

What are some of the fiddly jobs other people have completed recently?

Ian
A delivery from Linwood?
Not completed yet, but this
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view&id=95332

Is supposed to look like this

All those hand rails and waveguides are giving me nightmares..
And I haven't got near the SSR750 radar on top yet..

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 02:23:44 PM »
Does this count?

I've replaced the two diodes, the orange/black things, to get my Dapol Voyager lights working again.

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline keithfre

• N Gauge Society Number: 5036
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 02:56:17 PM »
The point rodding looks brilliant!

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 02:57:43 PM »
Does this count?

I've replaced the two diodes, the orange/black things, to get my Dapol Voyager lights working again.

John P

Definitely!!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online Nbodger

• N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2020, 03:14:32 PM »

Finally, I was able to tell my wife that the point rodding project had been completed.  She said: ”Oh, good.  Does that mean there’s going be less swearing now?”

Ian,
Point rodding  was something I was contemplating doing on Hillsden, well, after reading your post I think I will give up on the idea, well at least it will save me from getting an ear bashing from Mrs N.

Stay safe

Mike H  8)

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal