!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: wiring seep motors for a crossover  (Read 133 times)

Offline Muppetman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22542
    • Ebay
    • Awards
wiring seep motors for a crossover
« on: June 30, 2020, 04:52:02 PM »
Hi all

Iam stumped and cant find a solution anywhere, Iam building a dcc layout, very slowly and stumped by SEEP points and a wiring them for a crossover using a dcc concepts ADS8SX accessory decoder. I have done wiring for x-overs in the past on my DC layout using peco motors without issue but cant suss SEEPS out!, does anybody know any easy to follow wiring diagrams or can give advice??

Thank You.

Online chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
Re: wiring seep motors for a crossover
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 05:07:26 PM »
Iam stumped and cant find a solution anywhere, Iam building a dcc layout, very slowly and stumped by SEEP points and a wiring them for a crossover using a dcc concepts ADS8SX accessory decoder. I have done wiring for x-overs in the past on my DC layout using peco motors without issue but cant suss SEEPS out!, does anybody know any easy to follow wiring diagrams or can give advice??

I found this handy when I was wiring mine - albeit that I was only doing DC.

http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=12295&forum_id=6

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 07:21:11 PM »
Hi,

The SEEPs have 6 contacts. A,B, & C should be connected to the Solenoid pins L, R & C, in that order, on the ADS8SX.
Pins D,E,F on the Seep should be connected to the Frog pins on the ADS8SX.

Now, depending on the orientation of the point you will either connect D,E,F on the Seep to L,R,C on the decoder, OR D,E,F on the Seep to R,L,C on the decoder.
This is something you'll have to figure out when you wire up the Seep to switch the point frog.

Regards,

John P

Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 08:22:42 PM »
What's the point of wiring the Seep D,E,F to the accessory decoder frog switch?   Surely that just wires one frog switch to the other with no power at all flowing between them? Doesn't make sense.

Either use the D,E,F frog switch on the SEEP to switch the point frog *or* use the built-in switch in the ADS8X.  I would use the latter, as the changeover switch on a SEEP is not particularly reliable when used with N points (not enough throw)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 08:26:41 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 08:57:30 PM »
What's the point of wiring the Seep D,E,F to the accessory decoder frog switch?   Surely that just wires one frog switch to the other with no power at all flowing between them? Doesn't make sense.

Either use the D,E,F frog switch on the SEEP to switch the point frog *or* use the built-in switch in the ADS8X.  I would use the latter, as the changeover switch on a SEEP is not particularly reliable when used with N points (not enough throw)

:doh:

Absolutely correct, use one or the other.

:-[ , what’s even worse is that I think I pointed out that very mistake in another thread, possibly by the same OP.

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 08:59:19 PM »
@jpendle  yeah I thought it sounded familiar  :)
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Muppetman

• N Gauge Society Number: 22542
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 09:21:06 PM »
Hi,

The SEEPs have 6 contacts. A,B, & C should be connected to the Solenoid pins L, R & C, in that order, on the ADS8SX.
Pins D,E,F on the Seep should be connected to the Frog pins on the ADS8SX.

Now, depending on the orientation of the point you will either connect D,E,F on the Seep to L,R,C on the decoder, OR D,E,F on the Seep to R,L,C on the decoder.
This is something you'll have to figure out when you wire up the Seep to switch the point frog.

Regards,

John P

So far l have wired 1 Seep up to the decoder and it works, l thought l could just tag the A,B &C wires onto the next Seep and hope it would  operate in tandem with the other motor....sadly it doesn't,  this is where lam lost. :helpneededsign:

Cheers
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 09:37:52 PM by Muppetman »

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
July Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal