LATEST FORMULA 1 NEWS..............

Started by Newportnobby, June 30, 2020, 11:44:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

njee20

Can't see Albon having a seat next year. He's consistently underwhelming, and sadly for him with Gasly having found his feet at Alpha Tauri that avenue is closed to him. That should have been an easy victory for RB on Sunday once Merc removed themselves from the picture, and he was nowhere.

Sooner see Perez or Hulk in the Red Bull.

Mr Sprue

@njee20

Yes it is a shame that he hasn't been able to impress, after all he had the right equipment. Although nothing confirmed yet a shame that Albon looks to loose his seat for next year.   

However if he does go it would be good to see more young drivers recruited into the sport, it needs freshening up!

Skyline2uk

@Mr Sprue

I think Albon has been a bit hard done by, the car is clearly developed towards Max and his driving style.

I wonder who they could drop in there who would cope with the tail-happy nature of current RB designs.

Skyline2uk

njee20

Yes it's a bit of a poison chalice the RB; you can't avoid being compared to Max, who is clearly very talented. I read that if they replace Alex it'll be the first time it's someone from outside their junior team, but that may be a good thing. It feels like Kvyat/Albon/Gasly have all gone to big school and found it a bit overwhelming. Someone who's already used to a decent car would possibly fare better.

Quote from: Mr Sprue on December 08, 2020, 12:15:19 PM
However if he does go it would be good to see more young drivers recruited into the sport, it needs freshening up!

Do you think? I'd have it's pretty fresh already, and by next year we'll have new drivers in the shape of Mazepin and Schumacher, potentially among others, with Kvyat potentially heading for the door. It'll be interesting to see if next year throws up any real surprises given the cars are basically the same. Is Latifi hanging around? He's not exactly doing much, but I guess he's paying his way.

Newportnobby

Personally I rate Daniel Kvyat and think he's had some impressive drives this year. Sorry, but I don't think Grosjean coupes le mustard and think his time in F1 is soon up so that will release a seat.

chrism

Quote from: Newportnobby on December 08, 2020, 02:28:04 PM
Sorry, but I don't think Grosjean coupes le mustard and think his time in F1 is soon up so that will release a seat.

Which seat would that be, then?
The one being taken by Nikita Mazepin or the one being taken by Mick Schumacher?

Newportnobby

Quote from: chrism on December 08, 2020, 03:08:42 PM
Sorry, but I don't think Grosjean coupes le mustard and think his time in F1 is soon up so that will release a seat.

The one being taken by Nikita Mazepin or the one being taken by Mick Schumacher?

I was just displaying my lack of in depth knowledge. I've never heard of Nikita Marzepan but do recall an M. Schumacher :hmmm:

chrism

Quote from: Newportnobby on December 08, 2020, 03:13:18 PM

I was just displaying my lack of in depth knowledge. I've never heard of Nikita Marzepan but do recall an M. Schumacher :hmmm:

Mick is the son of Michael, he's just won the F2 Championship.

Haas have decided to replace both their drivers, Grosjean and Kevin Magnussen, next year with Mazepin and Schumacher.

Snowwolflair

Quote from: chrism on December 08, 2020, 03:17:31 PM
Quote from: Newportnobby on December 08, 2020, 03:13:18 PM

Mick is the son of Michael, he's just won the F2 Championship.

Haas have decided to replace both their drivers, Grosjean and Kevin Magnussen, next year with Mazepin and Schumacher.

One brings money one brings publicity.  Given where Hass are they have to roll the dice.

Mr Sprue

Time for a chuckle.... came across these two funnies!  :D

keithbythe sea

So, George back in the Williams this week. At least he will be comfortable and have a decent pit crew.

Unless Lewis sends the Chuckle brothers over.....

Manny

Bit sad that George Russell was toiling away for little reward this week but nice to see Verstappen get his first pole of the year (and only the 2nd non-Mercedes pole this year).

Some big news on the McLaren front - they are getting new investment in so when the cost-cap is implemented they should be operating at the upper end of the limit.

Skyline2uk

Quote from: Manny on December 12, 2020, 08:17:26 PM
Bit sad that George Russell was toiling away for little reward this week but nice to see Verstappen get his first pole of the year (and only the 2nd non-Mercedes pole this year).

Some big news on the McLaren front - they are getting new investment in so when the cost-cap is implemented they should be operating at the upper end of the limit.

Yet another reason Carlos is regretting his Red defection....

Skyline2uk

Jeff McGhie

To my mind, a truly great driver is one who can outperform a mediocre car. Alonso, for all his other faults, is probably the most recent example. It would be interesting to have seen where Hamilton could drag this years Williams for example. He did well in average cars at the end of his McLaren/start of Merc though.

bridgiesimon

Personally I think that the truly great drivers end up in the best cars because that s where the money to pay for the talent and also they become a major part of the development of the car over several years just as Lewis has done, similar to Schumacher. I am really not into this comparison stuff because the sport has changed so much over the years to compare drivers like Moss etc who raced all sorts of cars in different series to the out and out professional of the modern era is unfair to all of them. I am just happy to sit back and enjoy the show.

I do think though, that it does not matter what era you are discussing but the first and main comparison is to your teammate (yes I know some teams are so geared up to one driver that anyone else has no chance (Schumacher/Irvine or Barrichello) and on that note, Russell has still not be out qualified by a Williams team mate, he beat Latifi again today!

Despite being a Hamilton fan, I am a little disappointed that Russell didn't get the race the Mercedes for the last race, after last weekend, it would have been a mega battle between him and Bottas. Russell to prove it was no fluke and Bottas to prove his worth/arguably to safe his seat for the future as well. Will be watching tomorrow and hoping for a great race to end the season.

Soo looking forward to next season, BRING IT ON!!!

Best wishes and Merry Christmas to you all!!
Simon

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £20.00
Below Goal: £80.00
Site Currency: GBP
20% 
June Donations