!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Plan Feedback Welcome  (Read 594 times)

Online TMcG1959

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 29278
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Awards
Re: Plan Feedback Welcome
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2020, 09:50:04 PM »
That would be great, and worth waiting for

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2020, 09:54:12 PM »
I take it your layout will be set in the 50s 60s with semaphore signals

Online TMcG1959

• Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2020, 10:24:59 PM »
Yes, the last days of steam, always the most excitibg

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2020, 12:08:41 AM »
Tony. If you could number or put a letter on each point that would help identify each point to make identification and giving those that reply a help to help work a track plan please. Eg the plan I drew here may help
   in Dave 's reply #2  he suggests move the point directly below the turntable. You have 2 left points , 5 rights. If only have one line that will fit in the space . Eg one oval. Points A and C are the two left hand , B and D are the right hand points if look at the lower diagram i drew. Hope helps
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 12:23:26 AM by crewearpley40 »

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2020, 12:29:02 AM »
Tony try this

Apologies it's only a rough sketch I drew and on nights at work
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 12:30:18 AM by crewearpley40 »

Online chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2020, 07:03:09 AM »
This was my original suggestion;

I've reversed the right-hand crossover which makes it a trailing crossover and simplifies movements from the outer loop into the yard (and vice versa).
Since I still think that the building about which I asked is a signal box, I've relocated that - not to where I originally suggested but opposite that because my original suggestion would have bobby's view to the left obscured by the station building. I've also moved the access line to the yard back a bit to make room.

If you were to switch to a single line with loop in the platforms, then this is my first thought.

The positions of the rightmost two points could be swapped so that the yard access comes off the inner line of the loop instead of the single line but I thought that might be a bit tight against the tunnel (?) mouth. However, it's your layout so your choice.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2020, 08:39:31 AM »
The second plan is also what I was thinking chris @chrism and adding a loop in the fiddle yard would allow storage

Online TMcG1959

• Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2020, 09:29:12 AM »
I must say thank you to EVERYONE who has put some thought and took the trouble to sketch and amend plans, I am grateful. It is also nice to hear that NewportNobby may help, when time allows. On reflection the last plan with the layout reduced to single track may work well. I also think that if I move the station building and platform to the left it may free up some space for trains coming around the curves to straighten up before cross the paintwork into the passing loop or back bay. Very interesting thoughts and ideas, thanks again - Tony
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 10:59:24 AM by TMcG1959 »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2020, 12:49:35 PM »
Just waiting to hear if you've decided on a track system yet, Tony, so I use the right stuff.

Online TMcG1959

• Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2020, 12:57:48 PM »
Peco Ngauge Code 80 Streamline with electrofrog pointwork.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2020, 03:00:21 PM »
Please see below a twin track and a single track plan. Baseboard size is 2100mm x 600mm which is correct (within a few mm) for 7ft x 2ft. The twin track leaves no real space for a fiddle yard and means the inner oval is 228mm radius which some larger locos may struggle with.
The single track one is 263mm which is a lot better and gives room for a 4 road fiddle yard. You could 'cut' the longest loop in two and hold two smaller length trains or one long train as is your need.
All end curves are set track code 80 ST15 outer and, where applicable, ST12 inner. All points apart from the 'Y' in the middle (SL-E397F) are either LH (SL-E396F) or RH (SL-E395F) apart from the bottom ones in the single line plan where I've used curved points (SL-E386/7F) to create decent geometry. Sorry, but I can't draw curved lines to show platforms :-[

I just happen to have 3 x SL-E395 new for sale @ 5 each + postage. If interested drop me a PM.

Online TMcG1959

• Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2020, 05:26:45 PM »
NewportNobby, what a brilliant job you have done here with this.You've really produced something to get me started. Thank You!

I think either option is do-able, though I'd be a bit concerned about the sharper radius curves of the inner circle. Does having the four road fiddle yard also mean that I can isolate a loco in the passenger station and bring another loco out onto the passing loop?

There is also plenty of room to add platform, buildings, signal cabins and many other features that will bring it to life.  Can I ask TWO questions ...... will it be difficult to wire and if I change to Code 55 does it simply mean that I need to use flexi-track on the curved sections???
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 06:43:01 PM by TMcG1959 »

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2020, 05:35:26 PM »
Tony. Apologies, been on nights. Mick's plan looks great. Can I suggest 3 or 4 locos will look impressive, 3 or 4 coaches maybe 6, a dozen wagons. Plenty to choose on the market. Chris

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2020, 06:29:17 PM »
Can I ask TWO questions ...... will it be difficult to wire and is Code 80 the way to go???

It shouldn't be too difficult to wire. If you are using DC then I think you can get away with just 3 power connections. I at each end (on the curved sections), and on to the left of the Y point to allow access to the engine shed and turntable.
Just remember that you need to insulate the frogs on Electrofrogs, especially where you have the loops in the fiddle yards and the platform.

Because the plan uses Setrack curves then it would be easiest to use Code 80 for the rest of the layout. Apart from that, Code 55 looks better and is more robust then Code 80.

Regards,

John P

Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Online TMcG1959

• Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2020, 06:37:48 PM »
Tony. Apologies, been on nights. Mick's plan looks great. Can I suggest 3 or 4 locos will look impressive, 3 or 4 coaches maybe 6, a dozen wagons. Plenty to choose on the market. Chris

Hi Chris,

Thank you for taking an interest and sketching! I have got three locos at the moment, two Union Mills and a Gaham Farish. I also have about 6 wagons though I will add to this as time goes on.

Tony

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal