!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Estepera Nord (French/Spanish roundy with small terminus)  (Read 818 times)

Online weave

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Estepera Nord (French/Spanish roundy with small terminus)
« on: June 19, 2020, 04:24:15 PM »
Hi all,

I partially built a layout called Sant Pau de Mar (on the Forum somewhere) located in my fictional Principality of Izaro on the French/Spanish border. I wanted a small beach and restaurants etc. but this was limiting train operation on an already small layout.

Having progressed on a smaller Izaro layout called Cala Cuina (on the Forum) during Lockdown and after a work injury, I have decided to change Sant Pau de Mar into Estepera Nord. Cala Cuina has most of the Mediterranean scenics I wanted so this will be mainly track with a small terminus so I can park trains and look at them rather than watch them fly by in seconds.

Am only recently on crutches but hope to be able to get up the stairs to the train room in about 2 weeks so hopefully the plans in my head will come to fruition.

A pic of the old layout. The station building (already knocked down) and car park area to the right will be removed to become the terminus tracks with an extension past the bottom left rocks and maybe to the right depending on platform and track widths....

IMG_1099 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

The layout will eventually be linked from the back to the Cala Cuina layout but need to get upstairs first and sort the track plan in situ.

Maybe a few more thoughts and original pics another time but will leave it there. I just wanted to make a start in writing rather than just lots of ideas bouncing round my head.

Thanks for reading.

Cheers, weave  :beers:

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
Re: Estepera Nord (French/Spanish roundy with small terminus)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 04:29:31 PM »
Keep us posted Chris.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 04:31:30 PM »
Good luck, Chris, and let's hope you're off those crutches very soon

Online Nbodger

• N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 05:10:53 PM »
Chris,

Hope all goes well and you make your anticipated recovery time and are soon running up those stairs to put your plans into fruition

Stay safe and look after yourself

Mike H  8)

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 12:14:45 AM »
Hi all,

Another update from the earlier pic in that I had also done this rock scenic work around the tunnel portals and behind the wall.....

20190729_203641 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

20190729_203648 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

20190729_203408 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

That is all still there. It looks slightly out of place but Eastern Izaro is very rocky and would explain why the terminus is small. Also Estepera Nord is one of two terminus stations in the City which are linked (will do a map another time) but I think it'll look less imposing with buildings below and either end and with greenery on it so it doesn't look like an Alpine mountain. I'm not ripping it up as it took a while and I'm quite pleased with it. Also I want to run trains and not have to do more base landscaping.

Thanks for reading.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2020, 12:30:05 AM »
The cliff faces look great. At first glance I thought they were cork bark, but can see they're not. Very good modelling.  :thumbsup:

Take it easy on those crutches, mate. Boy do I know what it's like! Are they Canadian crutches? They're a lot more convenient than the standard type (if any crutches can be considered convenient!!)  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2020, 07:04:22 AM »
Hi George,

I cheated on the rocks. They are individual plaster ones and were bought on eBay at quite a reasonable price.

I had to look up Canadian crutches but yes, they are the ones, not the underarm walking crutches.

I am trying to take it easy and it's nice to get outside easily now. Just waiting for the sun to come back which I believe is this Weekend or definitely next week.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2020, 07:18:25 AM »
I hope that you plan to recycle the nice palm trees (in the Lego planters I seem to recall).  :)

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2020, 07:55:06 AM »
Yep, they're the ones, buddy. Here's mine parked in a spare room which is hopefully where they will remain.

Oh, there's the NGSJ BR Blue supplement on the floor there!

Wonder if I could talk @NeMo into producing a BR Green/Black one?  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2020, 08:49:15 AM »
Hi Keith,

The palm trees are all intact in their planters and there will be some frontage to the station building so am sure they will be making an appearance in the future.

Online cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2020, 10:07:39 AM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
So glad to hear your moving around now, the rocks still looking good.
  Looking forward to seeing more of your ideas, take care & stay safe
   regards Derek
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2020, 09:48:58 AM »
Hi,

Hope you all had a good Weekend.

I've been doing some more thinking which I know can potentially be a bad thing especially when I'm just working off photos and memories but am having a rethink about the right hand single tunnel portal.

It was originally to add a bit of interest as a branch passenger line and for goods wagons to unload but I was never happy with how tight the radius was and long Continental passenger coaches either couldn't cope with the track or the portal or would look silly on the curve.

As the station idea has changed I thought I could get rid of it and lose the single line....

20190729_203408 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

The two main lines will be bidirectional with the left line being a station avoiding 'fast' line to Estepera's main terminus station and the right line being a slower stopping line. The right hand side will have two lines to the new 'Nord' terminus coming off the slow line so thought the fast line on the left could have a couple of sidings coming off it from the top tunnel as well (remember the left platform won't be there).....

20190729_203648 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

This would mean that the coaches from trains stopping at the 'Nord' terminus could be shunted off, out through the tunnel and back into the storage sidings. The slow line also veers off eventually towards Cala Cuina with trains dividing at this station so their coaches will need to be dealt with as well. The headshunt for all of this being the other side the short tunnel.

The movements might sound a bit boring but the day and night trains will be going to many different destinations and countries so think it will be nice to make up different formations and see all the various liveries etc.

With regard to 'playing trains', once a train is made up and departs the 'Nord' terminus it can then travel around the layout time and again on the fast line, in my mind as if it had departed from Estepera's main terminus station. Depending on how much watching I want to do the loco can change ends round the back and return to the 'Nord' terminus as if from far afield wherever that might be.

Hope that all makes sense and any thoughts welcome.

Thanks for reading.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 09:55:10 AM by weave »

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2020, 10:02:54 AM »
Hi Chris

A revised track plan would be useful.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2020, 10:28:25 AM »
Hi Laurence,

No need for a track plan drawing. Looking at the second picture above it'll just be the two main lines down the middle with two terminus lines coming off to the right and two sidings to the left. The headshunt thing on the other side of the tunnel is fictional. The main lines are linked off scene with a couple of storage sidings but nothing complicated.

All the writing was to explain it all as a drawing would probably look too simple and odd. Maybe it is odd and non prototypical but I think it'll work.

I might have linking points at the buffer end of the terminus although am not that bothered about locos being trapped. Have seen both and anything trapped adds to operational interest  :D.

Any good as an answer?

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2020, 10:42:07 AM »
Yes that's fine.  I obviously didn't take in your initial post very well.  Now I've been back and re-read it, I understand the concept.  Thanks for making it clear.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100%