!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Another new person  (Read 269 times)

Offline Ferris

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Another new person
« on: June 16, 2020, 10:23:29 PM »
Hi everyone,

I started a OO layout last year but sadly the only place to put it was the conservatory .... fast forward the first bit of sunny weather back in April this year and sea sickness warning were required onboard every train.  I thought about it a while I decided the problem was with the size, OO was just too big for the space I could use so all the OO is boxed up waiting for me to sort through.

That was my little try at OO gauge, now I've succeed in obtaining agreement that stashing a baseboard under the sofa is acceptable so that gives me 1200mm x 600mm to work with (just short of 4ft x 2ft for anyone using old money).  With that amount of space I decided to step into N gauge, I bought myself a starter set which arrived yesterday, the baseboard which arrives tomorrow and a few extra coaches which will arrive when the post deem the time is right.  This seems to be the place to be for n gauge so I look forward to asking all the questions that have been asked a hundred times.

Right now I'm in the middle of planning my layout but its proving challenging but I'll open a thread for that in the right forum, to get some input.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
Re: Another new person
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 11:04:09 PM »
G'day from Australia, Ferris, and welcome to the NGF!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online emjaybee

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 11:06:36 PM »
Welcome to the Wreck of the Hesperus!

You'll find knowledge, enlightenment, kind words and a certain amount of dreadful jokes and drivel, it's great here!

:D

Ask away! Plenty of answers await, on a good day they're quite helpful. But they're always entertaining.

:NGaugersRule:
Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 11:09:05 PM »
Welcome ferris. Here is a good read ....https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=35556.0  we would live to know which starter set   take it you maybe going dcc

Offline rogerdB

• N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 12:16:06 AM »

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2020, 06:58:49 AM »
Welcome to the forum.
It seems that you are going for a small layout which lends itself nicely to N gauge.
Have fun.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2020, 08:17:24 AM »
Welcome aboard!

I now have a small 'N' gauge layout after years of big layouts.  It's much more fun than any of these ever were.  I fully understand that this might not be possible for you but, if you can, please extend the width to about 30".  This will ease the radii of your curves and give you some space between the running lines and the baseboard edge which is handy for a platform or siding.

I look forward to seeing how your layout develops.

With best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online Nbodger

• N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2020, 10:49:24 AM »
Hi Ferris

Welcome to the fountain of all knowledge, look forward to seeing your plans develop.

May I ask which starter set you purchased.

Stay safe

Mike H  8)

Offline Ferris

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2020, 11:15:33 AM »
I've got the Graham Farish north eastern freight set, its the one with the tanker wagons and Thompson B1 loco.  Its a nice little set but I'm not sure if the track will be much good once I start building my actual layout as I plan to use peco track since they look to have the largest range.

As for expanding the width of the layout, I don't have any more space to play with at present.  Maybe in future I'll invest in a shed or something for a bigger layout but for now this is the biggest I can manage to find somewhere to stash so I think I'm limited to 2nd radius curves.  That said the starter set's track seems more like 1st radius at the box says it needs 506mm including the siding so at least I can be confident the loco is fine on 2nd radius.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2020, 11:34:02 AM »
Welcome!

Sounds like good use of the space, but do remember to cover the board with something to keep the dust off when it's under the sofa.   N gauge is easily affected by fluff and dust on the track and in the mechanisms.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2020, 11:37:50 AM »
Hi Ferris, and welcome to the forum.

4ft x 2ft tends to sound OK for N but it's not really big enough to have twin ovals and anything outside them. You might be better off with a single bi-directional loop with passing loops so you can run things but with self imposed restrictions e.g. goods trains make way for passenger trains and such like. Whatever you do, have fun and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Offline Ferris

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2020, 02:13:03 PM »
I've started my topic on the track plan if anyone has time to give it a look  ;D

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50008.0

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2020, 12:08:11 PM »
Welcome to the forum Ferris.  A good start with your plan!  :)

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2020, 09:25:45 PM »
 :welcomesign:  Ferris I agree with ntpntpntp if your putting the layout under the settee make sure you cover it over ,just a thought how much scenery are you going to put on the layout and how high is the back of your settee as you might be able to go with a wider board and stand it behind the settee  just pull the settee out from the wall a bit .but still cover it  up .
Bob Tidbury

Offline Ferris

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2020, 10:32:30 PM »
The radiator is behind the sofa and I'd be concerned that the heat from it could damage the layout if it was leaning over it, I have got a sheet over the layout now as it is coming along.

I decided to put the progress in the construction forum, not the most interesting I'm sure but it is my first try  :smiley-laughing: I've but a link to the thread.

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50052.0

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal