!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Advice on painting sleepers  (Read 179 times)

Offline Macnabs

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Advice on painting sleepers
« on: May 28, 2020, 03:27:57 PM »
I want to paint the sleepers of my track to resemble concrete ones. I'm using Peco Setrack, so I'm not aiming for something that is ultra-realistic - just a neat finish in a convincing colour. From my research, Railmatch enamel Concrete seems to be a good bet for the paint.

Any advice and experience on the application of paint?

Using a spray gun would be a quicker method than manually brushing it on, however, I'm not sure how difficult cleaning the rails will be - especially on the sides. I'm guessing points will probably need to be done especially carefully by hand - maybe even avoiding certain areas of them altogether?

Offline greenlaneman

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25444
    • Awards
Re: Advice on painting sleepers
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 03:34:36 PM »
Assuming Peco flexible trackwork, is it not to late to swap the standard wood sleeper track for concrete sleeper?
Homeopathic warfare - the smallest army wins!
Terry Pratchett

Offline Macnabs

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 03:39:42 PM »
Assuming Peco flexible trackwork, is it not to late to swap the standard wood sleeper track for concrete sleeper?

The track has been laid and fixed to the baseboard!

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 04:56:24 PM »
As many will tell you, peco plastic is something that would survive a nuclear war!!! A good plastic primer first to give you as much key as possible. Halfords are a very good source and a very good product.

I'd go for grey although they do it in yellow as well, and then a couple of coats of Railmatch concrete, it has a yellow tinge to it but a good colour, airbrush would be my preference and then a really good clean up job afterwards. I dont think masking would be possible and brushing it, you'll need lockdown to last another year  :D

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 05:26:35 PM »

The track has been laid and fixed to the baseboard!

Oh that's a shame.  Fancy not thinking of wanting concrete sleepers before!

Even if you do paint the sleepers the wood grain may still show through, and the shape may not look right for concrete sleepers.

I think you're setting yourself up for a lot of work, given that you'll have to repaint the rails afterward.  I believe Woodland Scenics offer "pens" for painting rails and chairs, which might make the job a little easier.
As has been mentioned the plastic Peco use is not paint-friendly, you'll need to find a primer which will stick.  I spray enamel paint to apply a base weathering colour to my wooden sleeper track (and the rails, all in one go).
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal