!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: New Castle with next18  (Read 75 times)

Online lil chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
New Castle with next18
« on: May 19, 2020, 11:56:24 AM »
Hi there I recently bought the Castle Pullman set with the loco with a next18 decoder. I am not sure if the chip is fitted, never seen a next 18 before. In the box with the loco is a chip, is that a blanking chip ?. I would have thought the loco would have the decoder fitted and be enabled for DC or DCC by default although it is in a Dcc set, in the instructions it says some sounds work on DC. I know it needs running in, I do have a rolling road I can use. Which is the best way to run the loco in. A note, I see nothing in the instructions saying run on DC first like most GF locos.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 12:05:33 PM by lil chris »
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Offline DCCDave

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N gauge transition era DCC
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Google+
    • MySpace
    • PhotoBucket
    • Twitter
Re: New Castle with next18
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 12:22:54 PM »
I am not sure if the chip is fitted, never seen a next 18 before. In the box with the loco is a chip, is that a blanking chip ?

Yes the sound chip is already fitted, that is a blanking plate in the box in case you wanted to convert back to DC.

Which is the best way to run the loco in. A note, I see nothing in the instructions saying run on DC first like most GF locos.

Not necessary. The idea of running on DC first was to see if the loco was a duffer before you went to the trouble of fitting a decoder. Since the decoder is already fitted then just run it in using DCC.

Cheers
Dave

Online lil chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
Re: New Castle with next18
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 12:27:07 PM »
Thanks Dave @DCCDave that is just what I wanted to know.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal