!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Midway  (Read 1225 times)

Online NOE 544R

• Trade Count: (0)
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Midway
« on: May 15, 2020, 05:08:34 PM »
Hi all,

This thread has been started to show the progress of my new proposed layout. Another separate thread is in use where questions etc will be asked (by me), but I welcome your questions too!

This new layout measures 600mm wide by 1650mm long. The baseboard is a flat pack kit purchased from a manufacturer online. Control of the layout will be DC, with no point motors initially (unless plans change or anyone can convince me otherwise). All track is Peco code 55, with electrofrog points.

The track plan is as follows:

The layout will be set during the Steam/ Diesel transitional period. This is, however, not a "trains must be accurate" layout. Ex- GWR will run alongside LMS and LNER designed locomotives (all in BR livery), with the odd unusual train here or there. The long term plan is to operate fully weathered stock with detailing fitted to one end. Construction is set to start once the baseboard arrives.

So, sit back and enjoy the build!

Thanks,
NOE544R

« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 10:02:36 PM by NOE 544R, Reason: Name Update »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: New Layout (yet to be named)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 07:12:45 PM »
Are you considering having a station as, for the life of me, I can't really see where one would fit :hmmm:

Online NOE 544R

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 08:33:57 PM »
Hi,

No stations plans! The intention is a scenic run!

Thanks

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 09:57:50 PM »
Then I really think open frame construction would be best i.e. baseboard only under the track rather than 100% coverage. It's far easier then to build scenery above and below track level.

Offline steve836

• N Gauge Society Number: 22948
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 10:09:29 PM »
As you already have the baseboard on order I would suggest you put foam risers under the track when laying it so that you can have track on embankments and  bridges.
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Online NOE 544R

• YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Midway
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 03:18:46 PM »
Then I really think open frame construction would be best i.e. baseboard only under the track rather than 100% coverage. It's far easier then to build scenery above and below track level.

As you already have the baseboard on order I would suggest you put foam risers under the track when laying it so that you can have track on embankments and  bridges.

I did think about this, but this layout will be used to learn wiring etc.  The intention is to build a larger layout in the future with open frame design, and possibly to move to DCC.

Edit: ooo and a name has been chosen; Midway!

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 05:12:57 PM »

Sounds like you're expecting an epic battle! :worried: ;)

Online NOE 544R

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 06:27:58 PM »

Sounds like you're expecting an epic battle! :worried: ;)

You said it! When’s modelling never!  :smiley-laughing:

Online NOE 544R

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2020, 10:06:23 PM »
Hi all,

Having mulled the plan over this weekend I've reworked the fiddle yard. Although compact and slightly complex looking, I feel this is a much better use of the space and shouldn't be too difficult to wire. I think I may also add LED's to show the active path etc to avoid accidents. The runoffs will also have blocks of foam or wood at the end to prevent mishaps!

The Original:

The New:

As always, feedback welcome  :)

NOE544R

Online rob_au

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2020, 12:12:42 AM »
I did think about this, but this layout will be used to learn wiring etc.  The intention is to build a larger layout in the future with open frame design, and possibly to move to DCC.

With that many electrofrog points, you are certainly going to get a good handle on wiring ... ;)

Also too, is it intentional that you have no means by which to move trains from the inner circuit to the outer circuit? This seems to be a pretty big omission in this layout from my perspective.
Layouts under Construction

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2020, 09:27:59 AM »

Also too, is it intentional that you have no means by which to move trains from the inner circuit to the outer circuit? This seems to be a pretty big omission in this layout from my perspective.

A fair point (electrofrog, of course).

Online NOE 544R

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2020, 12:13:10 PM »
To be honest, the crossover would never be used. I think it’s one of those each to your own positions on the matter! When I come round to a larger layout in the future it’s something which I will include  :)

Online NOE 544R

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2020, 04:22:33 PM »
Hi all,

Minor update time. Most of the track required has now arrived, although a few points are still to be dispatched. It's unlikely that I will have all I need, but I have around 20 in total, better than nothing! I'm still waiting on the baseboard to be dispatched. The website stated up to 3 weeks, and we are only 1.5 weeks. I also had email confirmation saying they were "shipping them as usual".

Attention this week has focused on preparing some kits for construction. More information can be found on my workbench thread. Today, my loco's were dug out and tested on the test loop. Fortunately, all but two are working fine. The non-runners will be sent off for repair at a later date. Disappointingly, one was my reliable Farish B1 (not so reliable now), and the other a Dapol 22 Milk Train set. This one, in particular, is a real disappointment as it completed one lap and just died! [Just to clarify, no manufacturing bashing here].

Watching the Blue Pullman set go-round makes me wish the baseboard would hurry up!!!

Thanks,

Online NOE 544R

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2020, 01:18:49 PM »
Midway Week 4

Its been 4 weeks (roughly) since my last post, and I'm happy to share significant progress on Midway. The baseboard finally arived, albeit without the crucial glue! A quick call later the missing item was on its way to me via the post. Once it arrived the baseboard was constructed within a day, with all track arriving from various shops a few days later.

Before track laying began, I decided to draw the track plan onto the baseboard. Upon doing so, I discovered the board would not facilitate a 5 coach train... The problem with this is that I wouldn't be able to store my blue Pullman in one of the fiddle yard lanes, and ultimately wouldn't be able to run decent length trains. A trip to the supermarket to purchase shopping for vulnerable family members resulted in a detour to B&Q, to purchase a small extension of Ply. Now I remember why I hate B&Q for Wood! Despite a slight warp, I decided it would be usable and continued with the build.

Once in place, the track plan was redrawn with minor alterations made. Now the fun started! All track was laid by week 3, with feeds soldered underneath the rails. Although there are no current plans for point motors immediately, holes have been drilled to facilitate this in the future.

At this time I'd like to give thanks to @ntpntpntp and other members, who have assisted with wiring diagrams and explanations. Without this Midway would not exist. For those who have limited knowledge of wiring like me, this thread may prove extremely helpful - https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=49538.msg639101#msg639101

Over the last 2 weeks, wiring has progressed at a good rate. The outer loop is now fully wired with trains running in as I write. The inner loop likewise is roughly 50% done, with the intention to complete this by the end of the week. The bends have also been subject to superelevation to give a more realistic appearance to them. I'm happy with how it has turned out - subtle but noticeable. This was done with very thin cork. Once completed I plan to test track weathering and, weather permitting, airbrush all the track. This, however, will be done outdoors, so let's have nice weather again!

Anyway, I know why you're all here, you want pictures!

I'm contemplating trying to film a little running session with the layout in its current form, and possibly smaller update videos to complement these forum posts. I'd like your opinions if its something you'd be interested in?

Edit - Moderators/ Admin, is it possible to move this thread to layout construction without the requirement to start a new thread? Apologies for the mention @Tank and @Newportnobby (and other mods) but you're the only people I can think of from the top of my head!

Online Nbodger

• N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2020, 02:42:30 PM »
Thank you for the photograph’s, pictures are sometimes better than 1000 words and saves on the typing.

All of the wiring is looking very neat and tidy, unlike my layout, at least nobody on the forum has seen that yet.

Obviously you had the space to expand, so a good decision made to accommodate what you wanted, else you would have regretted not building the small extension and would never be happy with your layout.

I think all on here like to see trains running in videos, they certainly like their pictures. As I said previously the visual experience saves all the typing

Keep the updates coming, and enjoy the build

Stay safe

Mike H  8)

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal