!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Station dilema  (Read 478 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Station dilema
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2020, 04:11:27 PM »
The choice is yours, Gavin. As you say, you can have the station car park at the same level as the platform height but that might make things awkward for roads leading away from the car park, or you could have the car park at baseboard level and have steps and/or ramps from the station building down to car park level. Either would work.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2020, 04:25:25 PM »
So......I think keeping the platform at the approximate width indicated by the card is the best answer.
The problem with extending it to the baseboard edge is that itíll lead to a large flat concreted section at the very front of the layout that is going to rather dominate.
Iíd go for the road at baseboard level and if you want extend the station building down to road level.
Hereís my station on St Agnes (in unfinished state) where Iíve done exactly that.

If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2020, 04:28:55 PM »
So......I think keeping the platform at the approximate width indicated by the card is the best answer.
The problem with extending it to the baseboard edge is that itíll lead to a large flat concreted section at the very front of the layout that is going to rather dominate.
Iíd go for the road at baseboard level and if you want extend the station building down to road level.
Hereís my station on St Agnes (in unfinished state) where Iíve done exactly that.

can I second Martin ' suggestion . That is what I did. Martin looking good on st agnes

Offline gavin_t

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2020, 10:01:25 AM »
Anyone got any pictures of their station area for inspiration?
As ever, advice is look at the prototype for inspiration rather than other layouts.. Don't just copy other's models and potentially repeat their errors...

Very true. I have a good idea of what I would like to achieve but as my layout is a little fictional 2x4 setup I am struggling with downsizing something that will work etc so other people may be able to provide an insight as to how they have made things work.

Offline gavin_t

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2020, 10:03:56 AM »
The choice is yours, Gavin. As you say, you can have the station car park at the same level as the platform height but that might make things awkward for roads leading away from the car park, or you could have the car park at baseboard level and have steps and/or ramps from the station building down to car park level. Either would work.

True the steps and ramp maybe an easier way to go for my beginners skill set.
I was just unsure what to do with the none rail side edge of the platform if I went for this approach.  Assume using the peco edging strips wouldn't look quite right on this side.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2020, 10:45:29 AM »
Gavin. How long is your platform ? Look at https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/99238-peco-platform-edging/              I used a strip of balsa and filler then borrowed ideas here and grey paint for tarmac

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2020, 10:48:19 AM »
Road side you wouldn't need white platform edging or the small overhang so you could still use the edging strips but butt them up to form a right angle join to the platform edge. If you have any spare then cut them at an angle and thus make the ramp of the same material. Stiff card or plasticard to make the actual ramp surface.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2020, 10:52:59 AM »
I used layers of  wood as the base for my platform and stiff card for the ramp here with plasticard edging. I did not bother with the road until the platform was satisfied

Offline gavin_t

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2020, 11:59:25 AM »
Cheers again all.

@port perran thanks for the picture. Kind of what I am looking to achieve and it's good to see how others are going about things.

Yours looks great!

I have been having a mess about with the edging strips and some card and think I am halfway there with a plan.

With regards to making the platform I see some stick the edges down as a framework and fill with poly filler.  Others use the card approach. 
Opinions on each?

Offline gavin_t

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2020, 12:14:26 PM »
Quick snap to show where I am up to so far.

Main edging glued to the rail side and clearance for stock checked. Had to leave a slightly bigger gap then I wanted to guarantee no issues with larger stock coming off the curves with over hang etc.
On the left side I have the the slope going down to the signal box which will be fenced off with white fencing and gates. Then there is space for some rail way workers car etc by the signal box. I have then mitre joined some edging at 90 degrees which I will then add fencing to. This will avoid cars and people falling to their death  ;D

Now the other side I am still not sure on as I don't want the platform area to be too large as it will dominate the area too much as mentioned above. Need to bring the road level up from the town area somehow and merge the two.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal