!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Station dilema  (Read 454 times)

Offline gavin_t

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Station dilema
« on: May 14, 2020, 01:58:46 PM »
Hi all

I have recently started work on my station area of my layout.
I plan to have a more substantial station building and facilities on my outer loop of my layout with a smaller platform and shelter linked by a foot bridge on the inner loop.
It is the outer loop one that I am struggling to picture how to build. I have started construction on a Peco NB12 station building that after a few tweaks to make it more suitable to my modern era I am happy with. However the only platform I have at the moment is a section of Graham Farish scene craft item. For the platform itself this is fine but I want to merge the platform area into the station building area and the car park that is going to be the area behind it. I assume the way to do this would be to scratch build something or use the Peco platform kits?
Currently the farish platform sections don't have any room for buildings etc in their width and are double edged when they don't need to be....
Suggestions welcome :)

I will try to upload some pictures when I am home tonight to better show what I am imagining in my head.

:thankyousign:

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
Re: Station dilema
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 02:11:04 PM »
Gavin. Out of experience , https://www.track-shack.com/peco-n-gauge-st-91-complete-platform-system-stone-type-peco-st-91. 2 ramps  2 platform pieces. Just an idea for width    compared to https://railsofsheffield.com/products/12959/graham-farish-379-200-n-gauge-platforms-x4-. I used scenecraft and have had to reposition in an area where I did not want any building except a scratchbuilt shelter. I in hindsight should and switched to the wider peco. I would look at both  ,peco are wider. Scratchbuilding is an option from plasticard.

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 02:17:03 PM »
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 02:19:14 PM by crewearpley40 »

Offline Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 02:28:56 PM »
If it's any help, this is what I have used on my layout;

The platforms are Gaugemaster/Kestrel, using the wider version where the station buildings are. The completed station building is also Kestrel, upcycled from a previous layout, together with the outline of the Peco station in roughly their final positions. I am going to build up the ground surface behind the station for the car park/station approach.

The camera never lies! Seeing the photo now, I obviously should have been more thorough when sanding down the joints in the platform pieces... Heigh ho...

Cheers,

Chris
"Outside of a dog, a book is probably man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."  Groucho Marx

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 02:32:51 PM »
That's a good idea chris. I used plasticard and some paint and always wondered what techniques others use to build up the ground cover. Maybe a fine brush in the station are, thicker one as you work in the larger areas

Offline LAandNQFan

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 03:34:32 PM »
I've been really happy with the Metcalfe platform kit - as it provides A4 size sheets there would be no problem having a common height for your platform, buildings and car-park. 
I have made 4 straight 5-coach platforms and two with complex curves out of a single kit and still have a lot of walls and pieces of surface left over.
Perhaps the proof that there is intelligent life in outer space is that they haven't contacted us.
Layout thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23416

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2020, 05:49:15 PM »
I would use 10mm thick foam-centred board for the land adjacent to the platform.

You might need to put some card of a suitable thickness on top of this to match the platform height.

Best regards,

Joe

Offline gavin_t

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 01:57:18 PM »
Cheers for the suggestions all.

A bit of online research has shown that alot of people used alot of different methods. 
Think for me it will boil down to using peco platform sections and building up other areas to match.
Or scratch build something using the peco platform edges as an outline.
On the outer loop I placed x2 farish sections together to represent 60mm. I feel this provides the right width. 600mm in length provides a good space for a train without interfering with the curves. However this then leaves an awkward amount before the edge of my baseboard. Unsure if just to have a slightly wider platform and take it to the edge of the board....
Will use my farish platform for the little inner loop platform. Ideal for the dmu etc. Just need some fencing and a little station platform shelter.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 01:59:15 PM by gavin_t »

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 02:06:08 PM »
@gavin_t . My advice go to john dutfield if not already been
.......     https://www.track-shack.com/peco-n-gauge-st-90-complete-platform-system-brick-type-peco-st-90. Then measure the platforms leaving space and check clearances. My platform can you see how much space I have used to allow coaches to run . Check locos especially 08s and the 47 with the overhang on the body of the 47 and the outside coupling rods. You can then work ground cover  ,add buildings, car park and a fill in  scenic strip like i did from card and make a road or bank

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2020, 02:08:21 PM »
The edge of the base of the platform measure to the nearest few sleepers and the rail. Run a few coaches.  See what I did. Once happy nothing will foul the platform. Leave and glue

Offline gavin_t

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 01:36:22 PM »
Right so I went to the local model shop today and picked up some concrete style platform edges by Peco.
Laid them out loose to see what kind of length I can fit in.
Now I am going to build up the centre body of the platforms myself so that I can get the width I desire.
However I am now unsure if to go for a set width say 60mm or run the raised section I create all the way to the baseboard edge. I could then incorporate a car park etc into platform level divided by fences etc.

Anyone got any pictures of their station area for inspiration?

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 01:38:06 PM »
Leave as it is gavin. Heres my layout. Will.reply later todsy

« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 01:41:10 PM by crewearpley40 »

Offline PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2020, 02:27:40 PM »
Anyone got any pictures of their station area for inspiration?
As ever, advice is look at the prototype for inspiration rather than other layouts.. Don't just copy other's models and potentially repeat their errors...

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2020, 03:25:58 PM »
My layout was just a quick snapshot as have been working and not an error. I would look at photos of a location  too and do what is natural to you and go with what you wish to achieve

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2020, 04:05:47 PM »
This is looking good. PM sent

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00