!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Gauge master prodigy 2 advanced  (Read 153 times)

Offline Rooster

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Gauge master prodigy 2 advanced
« on: May 10, 2020, 08:28:41 PM »
 :helpneededsign:

Hello could anyone tell me if I can up grade my prodigy to possible increase my amp from 3 to 5 please seams I can only get 3 to 4 trains operating at same time if I add another loco It won’t move Am I doing something wrong  :thankyousign:

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
Re: Gauge master prodigy 2 advanced
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 08:48:45 PM »
A modern N gauge loco and train should only be drawing  100mA - 300mA ish, so you should be  able to run more than 4 trains on a 3 amp system.  What else have you got powered from the track bus - any lighting or other accessories? Stall type point motors via accessory decoders? Coaches with lights?

Does the Prodigy have an option to show the current draw when everything is running?  ([edit] I don't see anything about that in the manual  :( [/edit]

There are boosters available for the MRC / Gaugemaster systems, but I think investigate why yours is maxing out at 4 trains first, that doesn't sound right for N gauge.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 08:55:50 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Offline Rooster

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 08:56:46 PM »
Got points on its own circuit
Have soldered all droppers on bus wire not the best at soldering would I wonder if the solder joints are to big do I need to reduce the droppers to as am putting three to each bus connection  :thankyousign:

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 09:06:20 PM »
Assuming the wiring is correct then the number of droppers or size of solder joints makes no difference.  If you had an error in the wiring then usually you'd expect a dead short. If it's a partial / high resistance fault then probably you'd have a rather hot wire somewhere!    If you want to prove the wiring then disconnect the track bus from the DCC system and test the bus wires with a multimeter on continuity mode - it should  read as an open circuit.

When you say the points are on their own circuit you mean they're not operated by DCC?

Do you have the ability to run your locos on plain DC with a multimeter in series to measure their current draw of each?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 09:08:38 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 09:25:33 PM »
When you say you have 3 or 4 trains on the layout and you add another but it won't move, is the additional loco causing the system to shutdown with an overload indicated?   What happens if you take off one of the other trains?  Can you get that loco to work with nothing else on the layout  (trying to establish whether or not it's a fault with that additional loco and/or its address)?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 09:27:09 PM by ntpntpntp »

Offline Rooster

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 09:51:11 PM »
 :thankyousign:
Yes I have the points on a different system not on the dcc total separate wireing and controls
Will do as you suggest with trains good idea
Thanks again

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
August Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal