!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Soldering tips and tricks video  (Read 147 times)

Offline Jordash

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25630
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Soldering tips and tricks video
« on: May 08, 2020, 12:03:15 PM »
Hi guys,

Whilst Ive been building my layout I've been using MERG kits and thought that it might be useful to share some of my soldering tips and tricks.

It's all fairly common sense, but if you don't have a lot of experience then there's probably a few useful titbits in there.

Online impinabox

• Awards
Re: Soldering tips and tricks video
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 01:16:32 PM »
Excellent video, @Jordash .

I think it would be helpful to emphasise a couple of points that you demonstrated but didn't say much about...

1. For electronics work use flux-cored solder.  Don't mess about with separate solder and flux, it's just not worth the hassle.  And the old tin-lead solder is generally much easier to use than the newer lead-free stuff.

2. To achieve a good joint you need to get the bits to be joined, the solder and the tip of the iron together to get everything nice and hot.  Apply the iron firmly to the component lead and the track, touching both, then touch the solder to the lead and track rather than directly to the iron.  That way the flux will run into the joint and the solder will flow in too.  It's easy to get too much solder or too little but that comes with practice.

3. When you see the solder melt into the joint, remove both the iron and the solder and let the joint solidify.  Don't be tempted to leave the iron in contact afterwards in the hope of making the solder flow further.  As soon as the flux has burned off the solder will stop flowing nicely and you risk a 'dry joint'.  That's when the solder crystalises, gets a matt skin on it and gives a weak joint.  The solder blob should stay shiny after it has solidified.
Mike

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing badly.

Current layout project: Halfway - https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=48537.0

Offline Jordash

• N Gauge Society Number: 25630
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Soldering tips and tricks video
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 04:03:14 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, it's appreciated.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal