!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: NCE Power Cab and DCC Concepts ADS 8sx  (Read 113 times)

Offline Graham Walters

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26013
  • Yes I support United...
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Testvalleymodels
    • Awards
NCE Power Cab and DCC Concepts ADS 8sx
« on: May 08, 2020, 09:01:01 AM »
So in  my small flat I've managed to squeeze in a layout.
I wanted to operate the points (Kato) via my NCE power cab instead of the Kato switches, so I purchased a DCC Concepts ADS8sx and the adaptors for 2 wire points.

The ADS talks about a DCC Bus  (I don't have one)

My question is, how do I wire the powercab  into the ADS and the track ?
Test Valley Models
testvalleymodels@gmail.com

Opening hours;
Monday Closed
Tues - Fri 1000 - 1700 
Sat 0900 - 1700 

Closed Public and Bank Holidays

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
Re: NCE Power Cab and DCC Concepts ADS 8sx
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 10:45:13 AM »
Accessory decoders mostly connect to the track power DCC bus (ie. your PowerCab's track outputs), though some may connect to the control bus (and will require separate power supply).   I would imagine it's unlikely that the DCC Concepts module can talk to NCE's proprietary control bus.  So.... just connect the ADS inputs in parallel with your track wiring as per the instructions.

To be honest I'm not sure the ADS was the most appropriate choice for driving Kato points, given that you don't really need the CDU feature of the ADS and you've had to get the additional 3-wire to 2-wire adapters?

I'd have gone for NCE SwitchKat decoders which are designed for 2-wire point motors such as Kato. I used them with my LGB point motors.  I guess it depends how many points you need to control, as to whether or not the combination of the ADS and adapter works out more economical than individual SwitchKats.  I've not bought any SwitchKats for some time and it looks like their price has increased significantly  :(

(As an aside, I have played with those DCC Concepts 2-wire adapters.  I make my own individual CDUs for each point to drive 3-wire Peco solenoids, and a while back purely as an experiment I re-designed the CDU to support direct plug-in of the 2-wire adapter just in case I ever want to add any 2-wire point motor designs to my layout. As I said before, a CDU isn't really necessary for Kato points but it gives me a consistency of approach should I need it).

« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 11:02:54 AM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Graham Walters

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Testvalleymodels
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 11:05:47 AM »
Accessory decoders mostly connect to the track power DCC bus (ie. your PowerCab's track outputs), though some may connect to the control bus (and will require separate power supply).   I would imagine it's unlikely that the DCC Concepts module can talk to NCE's proprietary control bus.  So.... just connect the ADS inputs in parallel with your track wiring as per the instructions.

To be honest I'm not sure the ADS was the most appropriate choice for driving Kato points, given that you don't really need the CDU feature of the ADS and you've had to get the additional 3-wire to 2-wire adapters?

I'd have gone for NCE SwitchKat decoders which are designed for 2-wire point motors such as Kato. I used them with my LGB point motors.

(As an aside, I have played with those DCC Concepts 2-wire adapters.  I make my own individual CDUs for each point to drive 3-wire Peco solenoids, and a while back purely as an experiment I re-designed the CDU to support direct plug-in of the 2-wire adapter just in case I ever want to add any 2-wire point motor designs to my layout. As I said before, a CDU isn't really necessary for Kato points but it gives me a consistency of approach should I need it).

I was advised to get the ADS by a fellow modeler, he has a the same system, but because of lockdown can't come round to show me how to wire it up.
He mentioned that the Powercab power supply may not be man enough to throw all the points at once when route setting, I've only got 8 sets of points, and at the most will only need to throw half of them at the same time.
Test Valley Models

Opening hours;
Monday Closed
Tues - Fri 1000 - 1700 
Sat 0900 - 1700 

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 11:21:32 AM »
OK so with 8 points it probably is more economical to use the 8sx plus a bunch of adapters.

Should be dead simple to wire up.  The 8sx's inputs go to the track (or rather, the wiring which feeds the track).  Each Kato point connects to one of the 2-wire adapters which in turn connect into an output port of the 8sx.

So you plan to use routes to throw multiple points? I would have thought the PowerCab can handle the brief bursts of power that Kato motors need (less compared to traditional solenoids like Peco etc.). 

I must admit when I ran my garden line with NCE gear and  DCC operated points I soon got fed up with the button pressing, even for set routes. I'd rather stick with traditional levers or a control panel with buttons.  I used an NCE MiniPanel module to control the points with stud-and-probe!

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Graham Walters

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Testvalleymodels
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 11:56:50 AM »
I think I may have overegged the pudding a little.
The Powercab was bought before my down time (see my post in the welcome thread), and was for a lot larger layout.

I was trying (failing) to save money by using the Powercab
Test Valley Models

Opening hours;
Monday Closed
Tues - Fri 1000 - 1700 
Sat 0900 - 1700 

Online lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 01:14:30 PM »
Hi there the basic  Powercab is a starter set which can be upgraded. When you run two wires to your track from the panel supplied that effectively is your dcc bus. Most people create the bus with two wires and run droppers off the track and join that to the bus. You just connect the ADS8sx to that bus. You can the control the motors with your Powercab as you want, you can add a NCE minipanel if you want after.
The beauty of the Powercab is you can upgrade and still use the handset with the upgraded system which is what I have done.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal