!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hillsden  (Read 12544 times)

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Hillsden
« Reply #315 on: June 06, 2020, 02:00:46 AM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
  Must agree with Chris, very interesting & entertaining, splendid modelling Mike
  stay safe regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Offline Nbodger

• N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
« Reply #316 on: June 06, 2020, 06:54:05 PM »
@Hailstone

I noticed you spent a long time today, looking through this thread.
I hope it brought some enjoyment to you as it has done for me writing it.

Thank you for spending this considerable amount of time both reading and watching the videoís, I hope you have been entertained enough to keep following the daily life in Hillsden.

Hope you visit again soon

Stay safe

Mike H  8)

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #317 on: June 06, 2020, 09:08:50 PM »
I have not been paying much attention to the layout construction board - my mistake! your layout is outstanding and I had to go back to the start of your thread to see it all. I must admit that I am surprised that you have only recently joined our happy band, for on this forum are the answers to most people's modelling problems, hints and tips plus there are some outstanding locomotive and rolling stock builders, I have learned an awful lot here having joined in 2012 and have made many friends here

all the best,

Alex
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 09:14:12 PM by Hailstone »

Offline Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #318 on: June 06, 2020, 09:16:58 PM »
Hillsden Day 41

It rained all night in Hillsden and continued with showers during the day and the wind became stronger, blowing those infamous trees all over the town.

Well what a surprise today a Hillsden District Council road repair gang has been out and about the town filling in potholes and other repairs, with some gooey stuff that dries to a matt finish. They also worked on repairs to the various stone sett ten foots and access roads to the backs of the shops and cinema.  ;)

After a few weeks of backwards the forwards with the roads, the council seem to be getting to grips with the situation and the finish is somewhat like I wanted to achieve, so for once happy.  :laugh:

To my surprise the landscape contractors turned up unexpectedly, obviously they were looking to make up for yesterdayís lost time, when they had that puncture. They seeded quite a large area and it is already starting to look green, probably majority of green areas will be completed over the next week subject to good drying conditions for the diluted PVA. However, there is one area that will remain bereft of greenery for a little while, that is the area of the redundant canal which flows under the viaduct and between the mill and sweet factory as we are awaiting the stone masons to finish the coping stones to the canal and lock. Have you tried getting good stone masons today?  :doh:

We will soon be getting street lighting to the roads around Hillsden, today the street lighting department of Hillsden District Council have been preparing for the installation, they have been busy giving a grey primer coat of Humbrol enamel to thirty five road lighting columns and nine gas lamps. Apparently, there should have been ten gas lights but one had a little accident. It will be probably one or two weeks before the council start digging up the roads again, this time to install these and I thought the roads were all sorted.   ???

The lighting columns due to their fragility will not be installed until Nbodger has stopped standing on a chair to work on the back of the layout, I have lost count of the number of times trees have ended up on the floor, good job they are not fixed yet.  8)

Thinking about it I also need to repair the roof of Thornberís workshop before fixing the columns too.  :doh:

For todayís photographs I bring you the Ex LMS Fowler 4F on a small ballast train, this loco is an original Graham Farish Poole produced loco. It is a very good runner at all speeds and can achieve a reasonable crawl.

The photographs today have a typical photographer fail, the second Dogfish is unfortunately derailed, I didnít notice until I came to upload the photograph, so apologies.   :confused1:

The train consists of three Dapol Dogfish Ballast Wagon and a Society kit Shark ballast plough, I hope to purchase further Dogfish and weather including a ballast load.

Enjoy

Thatís it for today, hope you have enjoyed todayís exploits in Hillsden.

Stay safe

Mike H  8) 8)

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #319 on: June 06, 2020, 09:24:06 PM »
There are quite a few products on the street lighting front available. Be interesting when installed mike. Look forward to hearing more about the canal scene

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #320 on: June 06, 2020, 09:40:28 PM »
I like the 4f I have two, one of mine is a original poole loco LMS 4232. It is not has detailed has the later one but like yours it is good runner. I am running on dcc so mine has been converted by Digitrains, it has a  DZ125 decoder. Unfortunately also a black wire from the loco to the tender but I am keeping it for sentimental reasons, it was used on the layout I built for my two sons in the late 80's possibly 90's.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #321 on: June 07, 2020, 07:32:02 AM »
Your 4F looks right at home in that industrial setting Mike.
Itís certainly a nice model.

One thing that struck me was the fencing. You havenít made the mistake of having it dead straight. That slight, new word here, wiggiliness is very pleasing to the eye.

Oh and you should have kept quiet about the second wagon. I hadnít noticed .

Regards
Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #322 on: June 07, 2020, 07:38:03 AM »
I never really noticed the wagon either, and that loco has small flanges!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #323 on: June 07, 2020, 09:23:15 AM »
I like that '4F' very much, Mike.  I have got to know No. 43924 quite well over the years and your model captures the appearance of a '4F' very nicely indeed.  It's the big flat sides to the Belpaire firebox that are, to me, the distinctive feature of these engines.  Your excellent photographs of No. 44370 certainly shows this feature.  Your No. 44370 is a left-hand drive engine; No. 43924 is right-hand drive (and an original Midland Railway one as well). 

Many thanks and best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #324 on: June 07, 2020, 10:06:44 AM »
Your 4F looks right at home in that industrial setting Mike.
Itís certainly a nice model.

One thing that struck me was the fencing. You havenít made the mistake of having it dead straight. That slight, new word here, wiggiliness is very pleasing to the eye.

Oh and you should have kept quiet about the second wagon. I hadnít noticed .

Regards
Martin

Hi Martin,

I didnít know it was possible to lay PECO fencing dead straight, believe me I tried, but the ground undulates so it just follows the contours, in other words where somebody drilled the holes

Stay safe

Mike H  8)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #325 on: June 07, 2020, 10:46:11 AM »
It will be probably one or two weeks before the council start digging up the roads again, this time to install these and I thought the roads were all sorted.   ???

I hope to purchase further Dogfish and weather including a ballast load.

Isn't it always the case utility companies can't/won't get their acts together so roads are dug up then filled and not long afterwards dug up again?

I sourced the loads for my Dogfish at a Wigan show from Ten Commandments, Mike

https://tencommandmentsmodels.co.uk/product-category/n/coal-mineral-loads/

Online chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #326 on: June 07, 2020, 11:15:52 AM »
Isn't it always the case utility companies can't/won't get their acts together so roads are dug up then filled and not long afterwards dug up again?

Heineken had a better idea, years ago;

Offline Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #327 on: June 07, 2020, 12:57:55 PM »

Sometimes it depends upon the reinstatement regime, there are two ways 1) Permanent reinstatement, which today usually includes foam concrete backfill, plus surfacing 2) Temp reinstate and come back after some settlement has occurred and reinstate the surface.

Coming from a major main contractor background what annoys me is the standard of traffic management and pedestrian management.

There was a incidence a few years ago when some repair works were being undertaken at the traffic lighted crossroads in our village, the traffic lights had been replaced with temporary lights, a blind man and his support dog were stood at the permanent lights waiting to cross, completely oblivious to the fact that the lights were not in use. The workmen stood in the middle of the road pointing and laughing at this man. I got out of my car and helped cross the road.

Stay safe

Mike H  8)

Offline degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #328 on: June 07, 2020, 01:08:33 PM »
Hi Mick,
Although it does sometimes seem that way, highways rules are quite specific, so for example if a section of road is fully reinstated / resurfaced, the highways then place a section 55 notice on that part of the road. It means that programmed works cannot take place on that bit for 5 years. The exception of course is for emergency works, I.e a power failure, gas leak, water main burst etc.
In my last job the amount of grief we had and costs incurred because we couldnít dig up specific bits of roads to allow superfast broadband to be provided is nobodyís business - this is because all of our works were planned works, if one of our cables had been damaged then we couldíve just dug away.

Cheers Derek

Cheers Derek

Offline Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #329 on: June 07, 2020, 08:45:18 PM »
I like that '4F' very much, Mike.  I have got to know No. 43924 quite well over the years and your model captures the appearance of a '4F' very nicely indeed.  It's the big flat sides to the Belpaire firebox that are, to me, the distinctive feature of these engines.  Your excellent photographs of No. 44370 certainly shows this feature.  Your No. 44370 is a left-hand drive engine; No. 43924 is right-hand drive (and an original Midland Railway one as well). 

Many thanks and best wishes.

John

John,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide the additional information

Stay safe

Mike H

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP