!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hillsden  (Read 20464 times)

Train Waiting and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Hillsden
« Reply #810 on: August 01, 2020, 08:28:32 PM »
Excellent little video Mike and a jolly nice tune as well.
Enjoy your BBQ tomorrow.

Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Nbodger

• N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
« Reply #811 on: August 01, 2020, 08:29:46 PM »
Click on the video and it says video unavailable. Would have been a joy to watch. Is it youtube clip mike ?

Chris, Try again, should be ok, I had forgot to save it as public use

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #812 on: August 01, 2020, 08:36:50 PM »
I echo martin's words and it's a pleasant one with a super variety of 60s motive power. Hope mick @Newportnobby will enjoy it as much as we have so far

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #813 on: August 01, 2020, 08:44:18 PM »
Excellent video Mick.  :thumbsup: . Is the camera mounted on a tripod or a 'bodge' support?
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #814 on: August 01, 2020, 09:08:26 PM »
Many thanks, Mike.  That's a very nice film.  Lots 'n' lots of lovely locomotives (and some diesels).  I particularly enjoyed the 'going away' 'Horwich Mogul' at just after a minute.  It's a marvellous model.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #815 on: August 01, 2020, 09:14:53 PM »
Excellent video Mick.  :thumbsup: . Is the camera mounted on a tripod or a 'bodge' support? :D

Hi David,

Have you been talking to Mrs N as you are now calling me Mick, the family name  ;D

Yes the camera is mounted on a tripod, as I wouldnít trust bodger with it

Mike H (but you can call me Mick, I donít mind)   :D

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #816 on: August 01, 2020, 10:10:06 PM »
Jeepers, Mike, but the poor signalman must be hearing bell codes in his sleep!! ;)

Online cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #817 on: August 01, 2020, 10:32:56 PM »
 :hellosign:
  Superb video Mike. agree your couplers must be bullet proof. Happy Yorkshire Day   :thumbsup:   :beers:
    stay safe regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #818 on: August 03, 2020, 05:28:37 PM »
Hillsden Days 98 and 99

Sorry to disappoint you all but after a day away from the Forum, unfortunately for you all I am back, donít worry you will soon get a whole two week break from me at the beginning of September as Mrs N and myself will be having a little holiday, not too far away but on the coast, just north of Filey. By the way Flo the cocker is coming too, she is a different dog since the passing of her big sister, she is obviously missing her and confused, with regards to where she has gone.  :doh:

With that holiday in mind old bodger needs to get together some work to do on an evening, as we will not be eating out or attending pubs, Mrs N has already informed me she is taking her watercolour paints with her, I am thinking of taking a few wagon kits to build, but how many, do I need to buy some more, should I take paints, questions all these questions. Well I have four weeks or so to get myself sorted.  :hmmm:

Yesterday was a wonderful relaxing day as a family we were all together for the first time, since before Christmas, with all three of our children with their spouses / partners. We had a lovely cooked BBQ, the day was that good Mrs N is a little worse for wear after the cocktails she was drinking, I am afraid NBodger had to stay on the soft drinks.  :doh:

Of course we had Flo with us as well, she has never been on her own ever, so someone had to take he out for a little walk, well, that was bodger of course, as we were in Cottingham, bodger took Flo for a walk down by wait for it, the railway and Cottingham station area in particular, surveying what was intact from its heyday. Around twenty plus years ago, the railway club bodger was a member of at the time was looking to built a layout of Cottingham in 4mm scale though to continue the local scene theme we were at time adopting alongside the already under construction model of Hessle which was in N. The project never got started and Hessle never got completed, I understand it was dismantled after I left that particular club, which is still going today and I am minded to rejoin them at some stage, as when I meet any of them, they all ask when are you coming to see us.

Anyway, I digress.

Not a great deal has happened on Hillsden since my last post but, old bodger has temporarily sorted the baseboard joint that caused the problems in Saturdays video. Due to bodgers very good bodgiting (yes this is derogatory term) skills of so called joinery a double layer of plastic material had been inserted to raise one of the boards at the joint, this little fix had become dislodged and lost, hence the problem, the temporary, temporary fix involves a quarter inch wood chisel, wedged on the board until a permanent solution is invoked. Yes, there has been way too much bodging going on.

A little bit more gardening has gone on, the flower border planted on Saturday, looked a little bit dull, so more leaves have been added along with some lovely lilac flowers to complement the pale blue, all looks rather magical, it has even got the approval of Mrs N, however, in the same breath she did utter the words ďcanít you plant up a half barrel and place that in the garden as well. I thought how good do you think bodgers skills are, please donít answer that. The upshot is NBodger has now to create a N Gauge flower tub from a barrel, help!!!!

A shrub has also been planted in one of the gardens, bodger attempted to red flower flock to it but failed, however will now resort to blobs of watercolour to achieve this. Gardening to N Gauge is all very new to bodger, so a lot of experimenting with the material he has to get a reasonable result, hence taking time.

The racks to the store he has been building are now complete, just need fixing in place, but again detail work that is slow is taking a lot of time, so will be a little while before the building is plonked in Hillsden.

Other than a garden shed or two there is only one plot of land in Hillsden, that requires a building erected, this is along Burnley Road and is the triangular plot above the goods yard, that bodger has ear marked as a used car sales area. So bodger has started developing ideas on paper for this area, which will comprise a small car servicing workshop, plus sales and admin office, leaving an area for second hand cars which are for sale to be displayed. In the next one or two days bodger will have some up with a completed working drawing and will commence construction.

Well that is as far as we have got in the development of Hillsden, everything is now quite slow to finish.

On bodgers workbench there are some very nice station seats from those nice people at York Model Rail, that require constructing, they are quite small and delicate, bodger did build around six of them last summer, which he had to develop a jig to help in the construction, unfortunately these six now need rebuilding as something by someone was put on top of them, we do have a no blame culture here in Hillsden.

Well bodger was down early this morning at Hillsden station and managed to get a glimpse of the local commuter train arrive into the bay platform four, this consisted of three suburban coaches in maroon and was hauled on this occasion by a Fairburn tank, bunker first. Bodger managed to get his camera ready and was able to photograph the process of the locomotive being uncoupled and the train being readied for departure

Again, thank you for viewing, hope you have enjoyed your visit and return again soon

Meanwhile Stay Safe

Mike H  8) 8)

PS Got permission from Mrs N to purchase some more wagon kits  ::)

« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 08:02:12 PM by Nbodger »

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #819 on: August 03, 2020, 05:33:07 PM »
Mike. I'm.glad the authorities have given permission to purchase more stock. Keep up the good work

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #820 on: August 04, 2020, 09:26:08 AM »
Thank you for these excellent photographs, Mike.

The first one shows your particularly realistic curved platforms to especially good effect.

The others, from a lower viewing angle rather remind me of the K&WVR for some reason.

Thanks again and best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #821 on: August 04, 2020, 09:53:06 AM »
Thank you for these excellent photographs, Mike.

The first one shows your particularly realistic curved platforms to especially good effect.

The others, from a lower viewing angle rather remind me of the K&WVR for some reason.

Thanks again and best wishes.

John

John @Train Waiting

Thank you for your kind comments very much appreciated.

I have recently reduced the quality of the photographs I have taken, to save space and allow the posting of more views, I think this is a detriment to the photoís. For instance the last photograph which is my favourite at its full quality you can read the engine number on the smoke box door and the carriages have a better definition. I think in future I will go for quality instead of quantity.

You say the photoís remind you of KWVR, I know what you mean, but for me it is a setting of most preserved lines, seeing a loco moved from one end of the train to the other.

I am rapidly running out of safe areas to take the ground shots as detail gets completed, will need a cantilevered support soon like like Roger of Wrenton fame.

Mike H  8)

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #822 on: August 04, 2020, 07:29:14 PM »
Hillsden Day 100

What an odd day today weather wise, had a lovely walk along the banks of the Humber with Flo the cocker spaniel, it was very warm and sunny, but as the morning went on the day got colder, damp at times and later the wind became stronger.

Old bodger managed to get the front and back lawns cut, whilst it was still warm, he also decimated a few flowers with the mower, well Mrs N has been told not to plant her border plants near the front as they grow over the grass, so bodger held no prisoners.  :worried:

NBodger also did a little gardening in Hillsden, planting up a border or two, plus laying a little turf around the terraced houses in Sunnybank. Also started to sort out the potato runs in one of the gardens, chips all round later in the year. Well it was tiring work so bodger finished in time for lunch.  ::)

A sneak look at one of the gardens, through the boundary fence.

Bodger also had video chats with friends from County Durham during the morning, then with members of The North Lincs Area Group in the afternoon, well that took two hours of the day.

The third international one day cricket match between England and Ireland was on television in the afternoon, so bodger was watching this on his iPad whilst doing a little more work for Hillsden.

Nbodger spent most of the afternoon working on the stores building for Thornbers yard, work included applying a second coat of paint to the external brickwork and weathering to the timber cladding, both internal and external

He has also cut some 10tho plastikard into numerous sheets of ply to form, materials for the yards and racking, similarly with microstrip formed some bundles of timber for also stacking on the racks, as I have stated before photographs will follow when the building is finally plonked in Hillsden.
Bodger was again at Hillsden station this morning with his camera, he was a little later this morning as the commuter train was all but turned round and ready for departure. Well Nbodger came through the booking Hall onto platform two, saw what was happening and ran down to the footbridge, crossed the main lines and again ran along platform four to get the following photographs  :camera:

Sorry folks but that is all for todays visit to Hillsden, hope you have enjoyed being in Yorkshire and return soon.

Stay safe

Mike H  8) 8)

« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 08:02:45 PM by Nbodger »

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #823 on: August 04, 2020, 07:49:47 PM »
I like the garage Mike - it is just like one I had years ago, until we had a gale one night and it was virtually demolished! One question though, what sort of calendar are you using, your days are not following on?  90 follows 88 and 89, but 88 and 89 do not follow 97.  ??? Have you gone from the Gregorian calendar back to the Julian?  ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #824 on: August 04, 2020, 07:53:41 PM »
Well Nbodger came through the booking Hall onto platform two, saw what was happening and ran down to the footbridge, crossed the main lines and again ran along platform four to get the following photographs  :camera:

Take it steady with all this running malarkey, Mike ;)

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
August Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal