!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hillsden  (Read 3881 times)

Online degsy_safc

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Hillsden
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2020, 06:30:01 PM »
Hi Mike,

I love your scratch built models, they are stunning  :thumbsup:.

On my layout, which is very much right at the start, I'll have to build at least one road bridge to span 3 tracks plus a couple of tunnel entrances and also a footbridge to span 4 tracks. Ive no idea where to start with these and not in any hurry at the moment, as I want to get the point motors first, get them fitted and then run a few trains round and round for a bit.

Then I'll start asking all kinds of scenic questions, already had a very kind offer from one of the guys to talk directly via phone just to get me going, can't wait to get to that point.

Cheers Derek   
Cheers Derek

Online Nbodger

• N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2020, 07:20:31 PM »
Hi Mike,

I love your scratch built models, they are stunning  :thumbsup:.

On my layout, which is very much right at the start, I'll have to build at least one road bridge to span 3 tracks plus a couple of tunnel entrances and also a footbridge to span 4 tracks. Ive no idea where to start with these and not in any hurry at the moment, as I want to get the point motors first, get them fitted and then run a few trains round and round for a bit.

Then I'll start asking all kinds of scenic questions, already had a very kind offer from one of the guys to talk directly via phone just to get me going, can't wait to get to that point.

Cheers Derek   

Hi Derek
Thank you for your appreciation of my scratch built structures much appreciated.

I believe that when building a layout it is important that you are able to run trains as soon as possible before building the scenery. It gives you a relief valve when scenic items get monotonous and you can soon loose interest if things seem to be taking a long time to build.

The next set of photographs I intend to post will be two road over rail bridges, spanning 3/4 tracks, which may interest you. If you need help when you come to build yours, you know where I am.

Mike H 8)

Online degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2020, 07:25:23 PM »

The next set of photographs I intend to post will be two road over rail bridges, spanning 3/4 tracks, which may interest you. If you need help when you come to build yours, you know where I am.

Mike H 8)

Thanks Mike - very kind of you  :thumbsup:

Cheers Derek
Cheers Derek

Offline pape_timmo

• N Gauge Society Number: 23256
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2020, 11:50:12 AM »
Great looking buildings, really captures the feel of Yorkshire mill towns 👍👍

Cheers, Timmo
Thereís the right way, the wrong way, and the Railway...

My YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxeUUCqEw_rWo229kmnizFQ

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2020, 12:00:28 PM »
Excellent modelling.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2020, 07:37:44 PM »
Midgley Road and Scout Road Bridges

Continuing my visit around the layout detailing the various scratch built structures, today offering are the final two bridges out of the five on the layout.

Midgley Road Bridge

This is a single span bridge, which is located just to the North of the station and carries Midgley Road over, the up and down main lines and the goods yard, four tracks in total. Again the bridge is built from my favourite medium Plastikard with embossed stonework to the abutments. Please note they coping stones to the abutments have not been fixed in place, this is why they are misaligned.

Scout Road Bridge

This again this is a single span bridge at the southern end of the layout, also covering the entrance / exit to the fiddle yard. The bridge spans both the up and down main lines and the branch line. Construction is same as Midgley Road Bridge as above but this was never intended to be the case. My original idea was to build a two span bridge, with a brick arch over the branch line and cast Iron span over the mainline, but from what I remember I changed my mind and decided to build the less complicated bridge, utilising my design from Midgley Road Bridge. Lazy or what, today I regret this decision but who knows may rebuild one day, but lots to do before then especially at my speed of construction.

Well hope you have enjoyed the series of bridges, the buildings will start shortly

Stay Safe

Mike H. 8)

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2020, 07:40:33 PM »
Super structurevwork. Have you decided what you will do with the station footbridge ?

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2020, 07:56:57 PM »
Super structurevwork. Have you decided what you will do with the station footbridge ?

Not yet, I am minded to repaint, but wont do anything until I am ready to fix the bridge in place. Life is too short and plenty yet to do

Mike H 8)

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2020, 08:01:32 PM »
For sure. Look forward to more posts mike

Online degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2020, 08:18:09 PM »
Hi Mike,

Love the bridges - plenty of those steel span bridges round my way, mostly they took the lines over the roads, but very few took the road over the tracks, itís this design that I want on my layout when eventually itís time for scenics  :thumbsup:

Cheers Derek..
Cheers Derek

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2020, 08:19:15 PM »
Its been a long week on Hillsden, not just posting on here but I have been doing constructive work on the layout. At last I have finished the road and paving construction around the mill. Well I say finished it all needs is a bit of filler, painting and weathering, but for me it is a mile stone (not a millstone). I now have sore hands and glued up fingers as it is a narrow and awkward place on the layout to work. There were times when I thought I was going to demolish the chimney before the mill was even open for business just like Fred Dibnah did.

Aerial View

Mill Lane

Mill Yard Paving

If you look closely at the picture of Mill Lane you will notice that the road narrows as you go toward the back scene, this was not intentional, just bad setting out of the buildings and retaining wall, however it does give the road some perspective.

You may also notice the retaining wall on the right hand side of the lane has warped outwards slightly, this is because the structure support at the back had to be cut down to fit the buildings in at the higher level. I have secured the wall so it shouldn't move any further, I am now contemplating putting some steel buttresses etc to the front of the wall as a temporary support as a cameo display. With every mistake an opportunity follows

Take care and stay safe

Mike H 8)

Offline Mr Sprue

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2020, 08:25:16 PM »
Well if that's Nbodging Mike I'd like to see what you make when your not!  ;) :thumbsup:

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2020, 08:29:26 PM »
After a few hard days working on the layout, I thought it was time to indulge and run a few trains, here are a couple of pictures of a Peak which has just past under Scout Road Bridge and is now approaching the viaduct before entering the station.

Hope you enjoy
Stay Safe

Mike H 8)

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2020, 08:33:03 PM »
Well if that's Nbodging Mike I'd like to see what you make when your not!  ;) :thumbsup:

Plastikard is great you can fill, file and fudge and really correct bodge ups, I've had lots of practice

Cheers, glad you like

Mike H 8)

Offline Mr Sprue

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2020, 09:52:25 PM »

Plastikard is great you can fill, file and fudge and really correct bodge ups, I've had lots of practice

Cheers, glad you like

Mike H 8)

I use quite a bit of the stuff modeling masters for my tool making.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal