!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hillsden  (Read 19019 times)

GrahamB and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
Re: Hillsden
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2020, 08:15:54 AM »
Thanks!

I had a feeling it was Code 80, but you've done such a good job with the ballasting and weathering, I wasn't sure.  :thumbsup:

I continually whinge here about wishing I had used Code 55, but it just wasn't around when I started.

You've made Code 80 look good, though!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online Nbodger

• N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2020, 08:17:28 AM »
Having just looked at the video, I'd say that not only are our layouts of around the same age, @Nbodger , but I have the same stock!

Yours run a lot smoother than mine, though!

Are they Poole Mk1 coaches? Just wondering if the roof pops off as easily as it does on my collection? I only have to turn some of mine upside down and it falls off!

One thing about the video - the view as the train goes off-scene beneath the bridge would be so much better if the white background under the bridge had the backscene painted on it there as well.

Great stuff, though. looking forward to more on this layout.  :beers:

Hi Bealman

The coaching stock is a mixture of old GF Poole stock with the window inserts to Bachmann Farish from China plus some Dapol “Greeley’s”. There are a couple of Poole stock where the roofs do come off easily if mishandled.

Your comment regarding the white background under the bridge is something that is really noticeable on the video, it will be corrected. At present there is no vertical end board to the fiddle yard which will be painted. This is missing because that end of the layout is against the wall (which is white) and without dismantling the board from the layout as it is impossible to fit in situ. Another job to keep me busy.

Mike H  8)

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2020, 08:20:04 AM »
That explains it, then.  ;D  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2020, 08:21:52 AM »
looking good, it may have taken you a while but it is definitely worth it. Lovely video.

Cheers
Graham

Hi Graham

Thanks for your kind comment  :thankyousign:

Mike H 8)

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2020, 08:44:21 PM »
Burnley Road Bridge - Hillsden

Burnley Road Bridge was the second bridge constructed for the layout and masks the Northern exit to the fiddle yard, this is the only brick arch bridge on the layout and was constructed just over 25 years ago, from plastikard. The bridge is freelance design to fit the space available and carries Burnley Road over the Railway. A Fairburn Tank on a local freight is seen emerging from under the bridge.

The aerial view shows the location of the bridge and adjacent properties, again the road needs finishing and adjacent landscaping

Hope you enjoy these additional photographs with more to follow in subsequent post

Take Care and Keep Safe

Mike H 8)

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2020, 09:01:49 PM »
Like I said before I love the mill buildings I want something like that for my layout. My intention though is to fabricate something from a Metcalfe kit. Your viaducts look good too, it is obvious you have skill there building them, access to the drawings helps of course has long as you understand drawings, I don't.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2020, 09:27:59 PM »
Like I said before I love the mill buildings I want something like that for my layout. My intention though is to fabricate something from a Metcalfe kit. Your viaducts look good too, it is obvious you have skill there building them, access to the drawings helps of course has long as you understand drawings, I don't.

I used to model in card as it was a simple median, however my layout starting home was in a damp and drafty garage, so I decided everything had to be constructed in plastic, at the time, 30 years ago there was not many suitable plastic kits available so was forced into scratch building my own. I had many years ago, when I must have been around 12 years old or thereabouts had seen George Slater demonstrating his plasitkard  and fortunately my father bought me a starter pack to practice with.

There is nothing wrong with likes of Metcalf kits, and with a bit of practice can be made to look very different from the out of packet item, by recladding in embossed plastic or other types of brick papers. I would always encourage people to give new methods not in their comfort zone a try.

The methods used depend on how much time you have, kits are generally quick especially if no painting is required, where scratch building in plastic takes a long time some of my smaller buildings have taken 50 hours to complete. so you need to strike a happy median that suits you.

Mike H  8)

Online Jimmy77

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2020, 09:39:53 PM »
Hi Mike,

You have a great looking layout. The buildings, viaduct, and general architecture look great, very atmospheric and all comes together very nicely.

Cheers,

Jimmy

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2020, 09:55:52 PM »
Hi Mike,

You have a great looking layout. The buildings, viaduct, and general architecture look great, very atmospheric and all comes together very nicely.

Cheers,

Jimmy

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for kind comments, more to come

:thankyousign:
Mike H  8)

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2020, 06:35:06 AM »
I used to model in card as it was a simple median, however my layout starting home was in a damp and drafty garage, so I decided everything had to be constructed in plastic, at the time, 30 years ago there was not many suitable plastic kits available so was forced into scratch building my own. I had many years ago, when I must have been around 12 years old or thereabouts had seen George Slater demonstrating his plasitkard  and fortunately my father bought me a starter pack to practice with.

There is nothing wrong with likes of Metcalf kits, and with a bit of practice can be made to look very different from the out of packet item, by recladding in embossed plastic or other types of brick papers. I would always encourage people to give new methods not in their comfort zone a try.

The methods used depend on how much time you have, kits are generally quick especially if no painting is required, where scratch building in plastic takes a long time some of my smaller buildings have taken 50 hours to complete. so you need to strike a happy median that suits you.
I began with Metcalf kits and Ratio platforms, but I replaced one of the platforms with a scratch build one from Plastikard.  Then I came across Roger's Wrenton and now I build my buildings from Plastikard as well.  Using Scalescenes cover layers is a quick was to finish the outsides.  I used to be a railway operator who did a bit of modelling, but using Plastikard has turned up my modelling wick a bit.  I do like your approach.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2020, 08:20:48 AM »
I began with Metcalf kits and Ratio platforms, but I replaced one of the platforms with a scratch build one from Plastikard.  Then I came across Roger's Wrenton and now I build my buildings from Plastikard as well.  Using Scalescenes cover layers is a quick was to finish the outsides.  I used to be a railway operator who did a bit of modelling, but using Plastikard has turned up my modelling wick a bit.  I do like your approach.

The good thing about plastic is that you can file it, sand it etc, and generally make adjustments, which you can not do with card eg “Bodge It”

I prefer to paint my models and utilise embossed plastikard as the finishing layers where required.

Take Care and Stay Safe
Mike H  8)

Your neighbour from two stops up the line

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2020, 09:10:54 AM »
Back to a previous point mike. I have tried creating scalescenes and freestone models kits. It's been therapeutic during lockdown and an escape from my key worker role on the railways. Keep up the good work and look forward to more. Chris

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2020, 05:10:47 PM »
Hillsden Station Footbridge

Please ignore the lighting columns on the platform, they are waiting installation but only when work at the back of the layout is completed, similarly the stations buildings and footbridge have not been glued in place.

The station footbridge is loosely based on Hessle East Yorkshire, I had previously constructed Hessle Footbridge for a club layout so I already had drawings available, however, Hessle has a long ramp to the platform and this could not be accommodated on Hillsden therefore it is constructed with a step access, similarly Hessle was a four span bridge whereas Hillsden has just two.

I am in two minds at the moment whether to rebuilt the bridge or not, the abutments are a bit two chunky, this was due to a mistake when building and had to redesign, similarly the weathering has been overdone, maybe a repaint is required.

:helpneededsign:

I would appreciate your thoughts on whether I should rebuilt / repaint or not however, the basic design of the superstructure will remain the same.

Take Care and Keep Safe,

Mike H  8)

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2020, 05:17:02 PM »
Impressive. Laurence @Innovationgame maybe interested . I would just paint . Structure looks fine. Chris

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2020, 06:29:19 PM »
Impressive. Laurence @Innovationgame maybe interested . I would just paint . Structure looks fine. Chris
The Hessle bridge has peeling paintork and there's not a lot of paint left.  But that's privatisation for you!
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42%