!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Konigsbrucke - Swiss N gauge layout 1997 - 2005 (and some present day stock)  (Read 1690 times)

Offline cornish trains jez

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Hi,

So, for the last few days, the turnouts have been bugging me. My rolling stock seems to clatter and have quite a bit of movement through the crossings so I decided today to see if it were possible to create some N gauge turnouts from scratch.
Comparing the 2mm scale association code 40 rail head to the Peco code 55, the head of the rail seems (in my eyes) to be the same width, so first box ticked. However, the rail itself is lower than the code 55. So with a 0.25mm packing strip under the code 40 rail to bring the code 40 rail up to the same height as the code 55 using copper clad sleepers, I think I can hand build some nice sweeping turnouts where the continental stock will run through nice and smooth.

I took an aerial picture this afternoon, transferred it to templot and created a track plan with size 10 turnouts which should allow for smooth running. I'm even going to do the slip!!!

Below is a screenshot of my trackplan in templot. The mainlines will need slightly re-aligning heading to the bridge but I've allowed sufficient space from the single slip to be able to do this.

I've already printed this off and will get to work tomorrow and see what I can do. Will keep you all posted.
If it works, I'll hand build N gauge turnouts on the rest of the layout.

Best regards and stay safe,

Jeremy
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 06:33:57 PM by cornish trains jez »

• Awards
Morning,

Hope everyone is keeping well and safe on this sunny morning. Been busy progressing the layout and had a running session (playing with trains really!) at the weekend. All in my latest video!

https://youtu.be/PTDfePmHBZo

Best regards and stay safe,

Jeremy

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
Coming along well! Good effort!

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
Which reminds me I really must get back to the Cisalpino ETR 470 project I started many years ago using the DelPrado models when they came out. I had the bodyshells pretty much done but think I stalled because the DelPrado metal chassis were too heavy even after drilling out.  A job for a 3D print I reckon.....
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Brandon_5

• Awards
Great video! How are you making the ICN? Is that a kit from somewhere? And what are you using to make the turnouts? I'm aware of fasttracks as DIY turnout kits, or are you doing it all from scratch?

• Awards

Cheers Nick! Tempted yet to do a Swiss layout?!  :D

• Awards
Which reminds me I really must get back to the Cisalpino ETR 470 project I started many years ago using the DelPrado models when they came out. I had the bodyshells pretty much done but think I stalled because the DelPrado metal chassis were too heavy even after drilling out.  A job for a 3D print I reckon.....

I bought a few of those with the same intentions. I reckon you could get away with just reproducing the underframe in plastic which will remove all that weight.

• Awards
Great video! How are you making the ICN? Is that a kit from somewhere? And what are you using to make the turnouts? I'm aware of fasttracks as DIY turnout kits, or are you doing it all from scratch?

Cheers! The ICN is a 3D print from shapeways, hoping to do the whole train but the prints don't come cheap!
The turnouts will be scratchbuilt with pcb sleepers and code 40 rail with a 0.25mm strio of metal under the rails to raise it to the same height as the code 55, this will mean the wheelsets on the continental stock will not fowl the sleepers.

Online njee20

• Awards

Cheers Nick! Tempted yet to do a Swiss layout?!  :D

Hahaha, permanently! Not happening for now at least though; I'll enjoy yours instead!

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards

I bought a few of those with the same intentions. I reckon you could get away with just reproducing the underframe in plastic which will remove all that weight.

Yeah I did start to take moulds to reproduce the underframes in resin. This was before home 3D printing started to come of age.

I'll get back to the project one day  ;)
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online njee20

• Awards
Remember going on a Cisalpino ETR 470 when they were still quite new, they were quite impressive I recall!

Could be quite an easy print, depending on how you do the couplers.

• Awards
Remember going on a Cisalpino ETR 470 when they were still quite new, they were quite impressive I recall!

I think the standard couplers would work fine. Its just the underframe really that could do with a plastic print.

Online njee20

• Awards
Are the couplers bogie mounted? Or would they be on whatever bogies you used i guess?! I’ve never looked at the DelPrado models.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
I think the standard couplers would work fine. Its just the underframe really that could do with a plastic print.

I went for Tomix Scharfenberg couplers, the units fitted nicely in the ends of the DelPrado chassis.

Initially powered by an extended Kato TGV chassis, but I switched to a slightly slimmed Farish 170 chassis in the restaurant car, with the bogies set just beyond the maximum centres. Shafts cut and extended with tube.

As I said, bodyshells mostly done, just the pesky underframes to do.

Offline Brandon_5

• Awards

Cheers! The ICN is a 3D print from shapeways, hoping to do the whole train but the prints don't come cheap!
The turnouts will be scratchbuilt with pcb sleepers and code 40 rail with a 0.25mm strio of metal under the rails to raise it to the same height as the code 55, this will mean the wheelsets on the continental stock will not fowl the sleepers.

Wow that's quite brilliant, I had no idea that was possible to have trains 3D printed like that. How do you find the quality of the printed pastlic? Does it look smooth or is it gritty/grainy like some 3D printed things look?

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal