Japanese Kato EMU service/repair

Started by arrownet, April 10, 2020, 08:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arrownet

Good evening everyone,

My apologies if this is in the wrong section; the general discussion seemed like a good place to start.

Anyway, this is my first post after having lurked for the last few months - would anyone be able to recommend someone who could take a look at my Japanese Kato 10-1554. It was a present from my father-in-law in Japan and I have a feeling that I might have (accidentally) ruined the motor.
It ran fine initially, on DC, but after I switched to DCC and installed decoders it just wasn't the same. Somehow I managed to get the motor to emit a cloud of smoke which I suspect is not what should be happening.

All of the lighting still works but there is no movement whatsoever.
I should mention that I have only had it for about 6 months.

Any thoughts will be gratefully received - thanks in advance...

Jon

Lawrence

Hi Jon
it does rather seem like you may have fried the motor. So we know power is getting to the unit because the lights are on, also, this may suggest, to an extent that the decoder is operating (at least for the lights)
So I guess the questions are:
Was it the correct  & compatible decoder for this loco?
Was it wired correctly and in accordance with instructions?

I guess there are a couple of options. If you are 100% that all was correct with the installation then you could return it to your father in law and get him to return it to the retailer for repair or replacement. Alternatively, if you think it was your error that caused the fault and are confident you can rectify it  you could get in touch with Hobby Search hs-support@1999.co.jp and see if they can supply a replacement motor.

dannyboy

Hi Jon. I can not help with your problem, but can welcome you to the forum.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Doc Pye

Hi Jon,

Try Dr Al, aka Alan, as he is very good at fixing things. You can find him on this forum, just search for 'Dr Al'. Not sure he does Kato stuff but you can ask.

arrownet

Many thanks for your replies!

Lawrence - yes, it was the correct decoder; yes, everything was wired correctly.
I cannot say it was 100% not my fault so I will follow your 1999.co.jp suggestion. Whether I am competent enough to install a new motor remains to be seen.  :thumbsup:

dannyboy -  :thankyousign:

Doc Pye - I will seek him out - cheers!

Bealman

I'll just tag @Dr Al .... then he'll find you!

Welcome to the NGF, by the way!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

arrownet

Quote from: Bealman on April 11, 2020, 07:31:03 AM
I'll just tag @Dr Al .... then he'll find you!

Welcome to the NGF, by the way!  :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

railsquid

Kato lists this model as "DCC friendly" so I presume it's a drop-in decoder rather than hard-wired? If so, are you able to remove the decoder and check whether it works on DC?

Bealman

Good idea.  :thumbsup:

Was wondering when you'd be along!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Lawrence

Quote from: railsquid on April 11, 2020, 07:39:13 AM
Kato lists this model as "DCC friendly" so I presume it's a drop-in decoder rather than hard-wired? If so, are you able to remove the decoder and check whether it works on DC?

@arrownet this is a really good suggestion from @railsquid if it is something you can easily do, it would at least prove if the motor still works. This would point you int the direction of the motor or the decoder.

arrownet

Yes, I have tried this and sadly the result is the same as with DCC - the lights light up but no motor activity.

arrownet

Quote from: Lawrence on April 11, 2020, 07:53:44 AM

@arrownet this is a really good suggestion from @railsquid if it is something you can easily do, it would at least prove if the motor still works. This would point you int the direction of the motor or the decoder.

The Kato decoders, on this model at least, are really easy to install / remove. It also helps that my wife is Japanese and can translate the instructions!

Lawrence

Squidy may be able to clarify but, if it is the motor, I think you need this power chassis https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10618630 which is conveniently out of stock at HS  :-[  I believe this is the parts list https://s3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com/kato-model/schedule/pdf/201911291650575de0cde19744f/701%E7%B3%BB1000%E7%95%AA%E5%8F%B0%E4%BB%99%E5%8F%B0%E8%89%B2.pdf

arrownet

Thanks Lawrence, that does indeed look like the correct part.

njee20

You can almost certainly replace just the motor, rather then needing an entire new chassis. May not be a Kato spare.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £20.00
Below Goal: £80.00
Site Currency: GBP
20% 
June Donations