!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Track Pins  (Read 544 times)

Offline degsy_safc

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Track Pins
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2020, 12:11:27 PM »
FWIW Peco track pins are 0.7mm in diameter, so maybe drill a pilot hole 0.5mm first?

Mike

Hi Mike, I did buy some 0.5mm drills & a pin vice for drilling the holes in the sleepers but hadnít used them for a pilot hole into the baseboard

So I tried it just now - it does work, but itís a very slow process and finding the holes in the sleepers to pass the drill through is nigh on impossible.

I havenít started to lay track properly just yet, but wanted to get parallel spacings right on curves so pinned 3 tracks so I could roll a couple of my coaches round them to make sure they didnít hit. Plus I also wanted to see what the curves running through my proposed station would look like so temp pinned some points - the temp pinning was easy.

Iím waiting delivery of a few packs of SL-14ís but I might try the GM67ís as recommended by John earlier in the thread.

Cheers Derek

Cheers Derek

Offline degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2020, 12:15:55 PM »
I just drill a small pilot hole, and most of the pins will go in with a slight tap of the hammer. However the odd one will bend

Just tried it - does work, 0.5mm drill very fine and difficult to remove from wood even when turning clockwise and lifting at same time. Could imagine snapping them quite easily I guess.

I do the same, tedious but effective.

Yes you are spot on - very tedious  :(
Cheers Derek

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2020, 12:23:26 PM »
Yes I glue all scenic track rather than pin it, but for hidden trackwork I do use pins.

Given that my track bed is 9mm ply I gave up on the Peco pins decades ago (they're only any good for softer stuff IMO). I use Hornby track pins, with the sleeper pre-drilled - well actually just push an old needle into the plastic  :)

When hammering into place, use a nail punch rather than directly hammering on the the pin. That way you avoid accidentally mashing the rail when the hammer slips (it will!)

I have a specific T-shaped tool that I use as a punch , it's actually the "key" for tightening an old coat stand that my parents had way back in the 70s.

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "KŲnigshafen" exhibition layout!

Online Portpatrick

• N Gauge Society Number: 3434
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2020, 12:33:01 PM »
Hope that is not blood on the board!!

Offline springwood

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2020, 02:27:42 PM »

Iím waiting delivery of a few packs of SL-14ís but I might try the GM67ís...

I initially tried some SL-14's but found them a bit too long..and very thin and tricky to work with. Be aware that the GM67s are 15mm! I quickly reverted to Peco ST-280s (these are 10mm), which are great. Where I needed them (and it was only on a handful of occasions), I would firmly indent the middle of a sleeper with the pointed end of a screw, then carefully drill a hole of 0.75mm, then follow that up with 0.95mm. This then allows you to place the pin in the hole and tap it home with a small hammer - easy! My track is laid on 1/16" cork and my baseboard is mdf.

I should add that I only drill through the plastic of the sleepers to create the hole and this is done prior to actually laying (and gluing the track with Copydex). MDF, by its very nature, is not as hard as ply and so I would say that the 10mm ST280s are perfectly strong enough and I never had any trouble going through it. Really don't know why you would need to screw track down??
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 07:43:48 AM by springwood, Reason: New thoughts.. »

Online jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2020, 03:44:12 PM »
On my last layout I opened out the blind holes in the track with a drill in a pin vice, and then drilled through the sleeper into the MDF, I think it's debatable whether Peco track pins are the correct thing to use to pin track to any hard wood surface.

Now on my XPS baseboards they are just the thing  :), but they do tend to loosen after a while, but once the track is ballasted and glued I remove them anyway.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2020, 03:53:45 PM »
I used an Archimedes drill to bore through the sleeper into the MDF on my layout. I snipped about 2-3mm off the track pin, started off with a small tack hammer then used a punch to finish the job.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2020, 03:58:09 PM »
I snipped about 2-3mm off the track pin, started off with a small tack hammer then used a punch to finish the job.

Haymaker, roundhouse or rabbit, Malc?

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2020, 04:22:38 PM »
I snipped about 2-3mm off the track pin, started off with a small tack hammer then used a punch to finish the job.

Haymaker, roundhouse or rabbit, Malc?
None of those Mick, it was an uppercut.😁
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Offline stevewalker

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2020, 04:26:26 PM »
Yes I glue all scenic track rather than pin it, but for hidden trackwork I do use pins.

Given that my track bed is 9mm ply I gave up on the Peco pins decades ago (they're only any good for softer stuff IMO). I use Hornby track pins, with the sleeper pre-drilled - well actually just push an old needle into the plastic  :)

When hammering into place, use a nail punch rather than directly hammering on the the pin. That way you avoid accidentally mashing the rail when the hammer slips (it will!)

I have a specific T-shaped tool that I use as a punch , it's actually the "key" for tightening an old coat stand that my parents had way back in the 70s.

I've done all right with the Peco pins into ply.

I use pliers to grip the sides of the pin and tap the head with a small hammer. Once part way, I use a punch - not a proper tool like your, just an old hex-head bolt.

The bolt is just too wide to fit between the check rails of points, so there I use the bolt on it's side, using one side of the head on the pin and the other to tap.

Some do bend, but most are fine and it is easy enough to pull the bent one out.

Offline degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2020, 05:40:39 PM »
I used an Archimedes drill to bore through the sleeper into the MDF on my layout. I snipped about 2-3mm off the track pin, started off with a small tack hammer then used a punch to finish the job.
Cheers Malc

Dammit - I looked at the Archimedes drill but opted for the pin vice, might have another go with a trimmed down SL-14

Cheers Derek
Cheers Derek

Online Portpatrick

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2020, 09:05:41 PM »
On Allanbrae I drilled a tiny hole in the sleepers and used tiny screws.  Got them from somewhere on E Bay c 3 years ago.  Think I used "track Fixing" as my search criteria.

Offline degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2020, 12:17:42 AM »
On Allanbrae I drilled a tiny hole in the sleepers and used tiny screws.  Got them from somewhere on E Bay c 3 years ago.  Think I used "track Fixing" as my search criteria.

Hi Portpatrick,

What kind of diameter is the thread / head of the screw please?

Cheers Derek
Cheers Derek

Online Portpatrick

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2020, 11:44:49 AM »

Hi Portpatrick,

Cheers Derek

Hi Derek

It is tooo long ago to be sure what I purchased from E bay.  The record only goes back to 2018 and t was in 2016/7 I was track lying.  However I see to have used something with a length of 6mm (I screw directly to the ply board, and a thickness of c 1.1m if I have remembered by o levels of 50 years ago how to read a vernier caliper!    I also have some which are 6 mm long and 1.4mm thick.  That would need great accuracy in drilling the sleepers/

I also found these on EBay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/N-gauge-track-screws-Fleischmann-peco-Mini-Trix-etc-track-pins-Gleisschrauben/352080986897?hash=item51f9a98311:m:mX04wjeVp6F_DfAHXbnlDpg

Good luck

Offline degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2020, 12:20:24 PM »

Hi Portpatrick,

Cheers Derek

Hi Derek

It is tooo long ago to be sure what I purchased from E bay.  The record only goes back to 2018 and t was in 2016/7 I was track lying.  However I see to have used something with a length of 6mm (I screw directly to the ply board, and a thickness of c 1.1m if I have remembered by o levels of 50 years ago how to read a vernier caliper!    I also have some which are 6 mm long and 1.4mm thick.  That would need great accuracy in drilling the sleepers/

I also found these on EBay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/N-gauge-track-screws-Fleischmann-peco-Mini-Trix-etc-track-pins-Gleisschrauben/352080986897?hash=item51f9a98311:m:mX04wjeVp6F_DfAHXbnlDpg

Good luck

Thanks Portpatrick,

Iíve sent one of the eBay sellers an email to find out the actual diameter. He has 6mm, 8mm & 10mm screws for sale, Iím assuming the screw heads are a bit more bulky than say a 00 track pin though.

Will try the SL-14s initially when I start and just take my time - if itís not going well then Iíll either go for a more sturdy pin or pursue the mini screws..

Thanks again Derek

Cheers Derek

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal