!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol Steamengines with tender  (Read 578 times)

Offline BrianH

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Dapol Steamengines with tender
« on: April 06, 2020, 03:03:46 PM »
Hello, I think this may be my first post, although I've been a member for some time. I would like to hear peoples opinions on Dapol 4-6-2's and 4-6-0's. I bought two a few years ago and they both gave me nothing but trouble and I was forced to return them. I have avoided Dapol ever since. I currently own fifteen Farish steam engines which give me no trouble but I really want an A4 and a GWR 2-8-0, which means Dapol. I don't buy second hand engines, i would just like informayion. Thanks in advance ,BrianH

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Dapol Steamengines with tender
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 03:08:22 PM »
Hi Brian, and welcome to your first post :wave:
I have several Dapol steam locos and, while great lookers, most of them are very noisy (whining) as the cardan shaft arrangement seems to reverberate in the tender. However, My A4 is one of my best performing locos and very quiet. Likewise my Britannia (after @Dr Al worked some magic).
My 2-8-0 is OK running and looks wise but still too noisy for my liking, as is my Grange.
My Ixian Manor (which also uses a cardan shaft) looks great is very quiet.

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 03:14:59 PM »
I have an A3, an A4, and a B17.

No problems with the A3 and the B17 but I had to replace the tiny wires that connect the loco to the tender on the A4 - this is a weak point with all Dapol tender locos.

Spares are provided but it was a real test of patience.

Best regards,

Joe

Offline BrianH

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 03:18:33 PM »
Thanks Joe, can I ask how old the A4 was?

Offline Paddy

• N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 03:28:17 PM »
Hi @BrianH

Personally I have given up on Dapol steam locomotives as they have given me nothing but grief.  Their diesel locomotives and rolling stock is very good however. 

Dapol need to to ditch the shaft drive IMHO and concentrate of designing a robust steam chassis that is reliable and can pull a decent train.  One thing I will give them is that their decoration of steam locomotives is good now, not quite as consistent as Farish but much improved.

It saddens me as I would love a Britannia.

Please note the above is based on my personal experiences and I fully accept that other people’s mileage may vary.

Kind regards

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 03:32:02 PM »
Purchased in 2017 or 2018

Offline Capri_sam

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 08:09:26 AM »
I've rarely had problems with Dapol tender steamers and own a brit and several GWR 4-6-0 designs among others (probably 20 locos in total?). They are definitely noisy out of the box and need more maintenance and running in than Farish, but generally if handled properly they bed in nicely to be very good runners, with excellent hauling (other than the Q1 and 9Fs, which for reasons unknown don't have traction tyres and are useless as a result).

The only issues I've had are occasional split tender wires when I've bought second hand, and the locking valve gear problem on the schools, which is well known and I managed to fix before any damage was done. Hopefully that will be remedied in the upcoming second run.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2020, 10:32:28 AM »
with excellent hauling (other than the Q1 and 9Fs, which for reasons unknown don't have traction tyres and are useless as a result).

@Capri_sam
Here's one of my Q1s from the first run with 30 or so on the back. Slow running is difficult to achieve, though.
Southern Region steam on Kimbolted by Mick Hollyoake, on Flickr

Offline Capri_sam

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2020, 10:44:37 AM »

@Capri_sam
Here's one of my Q1s from the first run with 30 or so on the back. Slow running is difficult to achieve, though.
Southern Region steam on Kimbolted by Mick Hollyoake, on Flickr

I stand corrected! My two aren't anywhere near that good, but I do have a very hilly layout which a lot of stock struggles with. I think I've largely been disappointed because the rest of my Dapol tender locos manage so well. I've never understood the lack of tyres on that particular model.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2020, 10:51:13 AM »
The only Dapol loco I have at all is a B12 in LNER apple green livery, and only because I won it in an NGF competition!

It seems to run ok, or did, this pic was posted January 26th, 2013, and to be honest, that's the first and last time it was out of the box!  :-[

I really dig the whitewall wheels, though  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 10:52:35 AM by Bealman »
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: Ex5720
    • James St
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2020, 11:55:40 AM »
 It's a B17, George....  :D

I have two of these, which, so far, have never been a problem.

However, four out of five Britannias needed sorting, but all five now run reliably, including exhibition work on James St., as do both B17s.

Only thing to watch on them is loco-tender wires are intact, and change traction tyres if required.
Martyn

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2020, 12:09:21 PM »
I knew that  :-[

Seriously, thanks. Might get it out and give it another run. Will watch out for that little wire!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Chris Morris

• Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2020, 01:22:48 PM »
They are fine. I have 9F (bought as a non runner from DCC supplies), Manor, Grange, Hall, Britt and a couple of 28xx. All are runners. They are delicate and need careful handling, I usually pick them up by the cab and the front of the tender. The wires between tender and loco will need the odd repair. I find the more they are used the better they run.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: Ex5720
    • James St
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2020, 02:23:51 PM »
I echo what Chris says in post #12; do NOT try and pick up the locos by the valve gear. It is delicate and will bend and cause problems…….

On  James St, Steve has 2 x 28xx. One of these has been videoed hauling over 110 wagons; but the other will only barely manage half of this. No obvious problem with the second one; and it runs very well.

Martyn

Offline silly moo

• N Gauge Society Number: 28102
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2020, 06:09:17 PM »
I have a 9F and a Q1, I have been lucky as they are both good runners. I agree about them being delicate and needing careful handling.

I would suggest that if you do want to buy a new loco, you buy from a reputable retailer, preferably one who can test the loco before sending it out. This no guarantee but it does weed out the real duds. If you are not happy with your purchase a good retailer will replace the loco or refund your money. Dapol locos are guaranteed for two years.

Farish made A4s but they aren’t very well detailed. There is also the Minitrix A4 which isn’t that accurate but very well made.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal