!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol 57xx vs GF 64xx Pannier  (Read 343 times)

Offline Henners84

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Dapol 57xx vs GF 64xx Pannier
« on: March 28, 2020, 10:00:13 AM »
Anyone had both who can comment on differences? Will be buying new so hopefully dapol early batch issues sorted? Interested to hear comments on appearance, running (esp. Slow speed) and longevity.
Thank you!

Offline Chris Morris

• Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
Re: Dapol 57xx vs GF 64xx Pannier
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 11:42:27 AM »
1. The 57xx was much more common than the 64xx and also more of a "maid of all work" across the system.
2. I have two Dapol 57xx and they run fine. One is excellent at slow running over points and one is not so good. The one thing you mustn't do with these is get oil on the driving wheel bearings as this will adversely affect current pick up.
3. I have one 64xx. It's nice but of it isn't used for a while it doesn't run well. It has a coreless motor so can't be used with feedback controllers. I have a concern based on what others have said that coreless motors don't last as long as traditional motors but have had no problem so far.

Overall I would say the 64xx is slightly better but I do wish Farish would drop this fascination with coreless motors . The 57xx is probably the better choice on the grounds that it was so widely used on the big railway.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 11:49:30 AM »
I have four of the Dapol 57xx and one GF 64xx.
All are fine though I find it’s the Dapols that are a bit sluggish after a layout, requiring a little “run around” after a long layoff. After that they are fine and manage Insulfrog points well even at slow speed.
The Farish 64xx is very consistent and, apart from Union Mills, is one of my best steam locomotives.
As Chris says the 57xx (over 800 of them I think) were maids of all work whereas the 64xx were much rarer and used more on branch line passenger duties including auto coach work.

Overall I’d say the 64xx is the better of the two options for consistency of operation.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Henners84

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 12:04:19 PM »
Interesting. I was expecting the GF to score higher than the dapol but seems a close run thing. However the class 5700 being more greatly used is not too much a concern because my layout has many historical inaccuracies for a start. They both have the evocative shape of the pannier I like. I think being picky the class 6400is the one to have for an autocoach too? GF slightly more advanced in detailing and finish?

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 12:29:49 PM »
I have 1 of each but prefer the 64xx both for looks and running.

Offline N_GaugeModeller

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 01:34:44 PM »
Only got 2 64xx and they run fine but need a better decoder than the Bachmann RA decoder recommended, I use the Zimo MX-616 and that combo offers superb control and slow running.

Only got one 57xx and that also now runs fine but I went through about 6 of them before I found one that works to my liking. Running on this was also improved by not using the recommended Guagemaster decoder.

Offline honestjudge

• N Gauge Society Number: 16285
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2020, 04:58:22 PM »
I have one 64xx and 2x 57xx. I prefer the 64xx.

Like some have said, the 57's seem to need a bit of a warm up before they get going. The 64xx just seems to run smoother, more slower (when needed) and just seems more consistent.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal