!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Track layout software  (Read 339 times)

Offline GPHolmes

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Track layout software
« on: March 26, 2020, 06:53:32 PM »
Right, first apologies if I am duplicating previous works of wonder and interest.
As I have re-joined and picked up the sport after decades I was trying to pick up projects were I had left them, but I have been hampered by progress or some will say lack of it.
Anyway I had big plans on WinRail would of been 4/5, and so wrongly I assume that one could pick that up with the latest and greatest version X3, but I have been told it on longer supports the English language. So I am having to look at the options, AnyRail with it's 50 piece limit or £45 license, and SCRAM with it's 100 limit and $39.90 license. Neither will import the Winrail plans I so lovingly created back in 2002.
So which do I go for, both have impressive libraries but which one is more accurate, and when it come to flexi track which one is not so much easy, but lets up define the end limits or tangents to get the best curve.
At the end of the day I do not need frustration I get that at work and at work I use MCAD and ECAD software, I was thinking of just using that but after a day modelling on those I want less frustration, and why recreate libraries of track when someone already has.
Anyway I would like to here of your view on either.
Cheers, have fun.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 08:51:07 PM by GPHolmes »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Track layout software
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 07:29:21 PM »
I have the old freebie version of SCARM and use that. For whatever reason I just couldn't get on with AnyRail and abandoned it.

Offline stevewalker

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 08:42:43 PM »
I used XtrkCad. It was worth spending a bit of time to learn how to use it. In the end I produced many designs with it before I settled on what I wanted.

Online LASteve

• N Gauge Society Number: 28183
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 09:07:34 PM »
I use/used Anyrail, it had the track libraries I needed and also has some user-contributed ones for buildings and trackside stuff like Ratio and Metcalfe kits.

I found it very easy to pick up and mostly not frustrating. The flextrack capabilities seem pretty good, you can define the degree of the curve and the radius, and also create easement curves. You can "glue" your start and end point track and fit the curve to those points if you want to customize your curves, and you can also drag the curve if, for example, you want to create an "S" curve.

You can export the plan to Trainplayer if you want to check the operational aspect virtually.

The layering capabiilty is useful too, so, for example, you can design your baseboards on one layer, put the track on another layer to check for point motor clearances and other conflicts, put the buildings on a third layer. You can set the heights and it will warn you of gradients outside your defined miximums and show you the clearances when one track crosses another. There's a rudimentary 3-D view so you can get a sense of what the spatial look of the plan is & you can define which areas are hidden (in tunnels) or embankmented.

I shelled out the license fee as I didn't want to deal with the limitation of the free version, and i drew up a lot of ideas before I settled on the final one (actually, the final two in my case).

Try before you buy with the free version, then if you like it, you can license it.

Hope this helps!

Offline GPHolmes

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 09:59:41 PM »
Unfortunately I have tried both AnyRail and Scram and I liked neither both are to long winded constantly trying to find library items.

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 10:15:44 PM »
Can you not find an old version of Winrail anywhere? Or do you still have the software you used way back when? Ultimately none of the products have changed in 20 years, so designs from then will still work today.

Online LASteve

• N Gauge Society Number: 28183
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 01:59:49 AM »
Unfortunately I have tried both AnyRail and Scram and I liked neither both are to long winded constantly trying to find library items.
That's a shame. I loaded the PECO Code 55 library the first time in and never had to look for it again, but if you don't like the process then fair enough.

Please check back if you find something that you like, always happy to learn. SCARM (not Scram) and Anyrail seem to be the best-used and best-trusted, XtrkCAD gets great reviews if you're willing to put the time in to learn it.

Offline NGS-PO

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 12:15:19 PM »
Another hand up here for AnyRail.  Once you find the track library you need, it stays on the screen for you just to drag and drop....

Best

Scott
(PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.)

Anxiety is a lot like a toddler. It never stops talking, tells you youíre wrong about everything, and wakes you up at 3am.

I get nervous about just about everything. Sometimes I literally donít know why Iím anxious. I just am and no-one seems to understand that.

Offline Thorpe Parva

• N Gauge Society Number: 21786
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 02:49:04 PM »
I use the free version of SCARM which works fine for me. Allows up to 50 track pieces although I think this figure was higher on the older versions..

Offline Paddy

• N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2020, 04:26:47 PM »
HOLLERTON JUNCTION was designed using WinRail which was good a few years back.  If choosing today, I would use AnyRail - only tried the free version but it seems easy to use and powerful.

Kind regards

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

Offline GPHolmes

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2020, 05:07:40 PM »
First SCRAM, limits you to only load from the library to the end your working on, however Anyrail at least lets you load from on mass from the library, so you could go down the library get what you need/think you need, then put it all together. First point for Anyrail.

Offline NGS-PO

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2020, 05:31:36 PM »
... Anyrail at least lets you load from on mass from the library, so you could go down the library get what you need/think you need, then put it all together. First point for Anyrail.

Hi,

I'm not sure what you mean?  In Anyrail, you select the track library or libraries you'd like to use, and then once they are selected they stay on the screen for you to use. For instance. You can select N - Peco - Streamline Code 55.  You then have a box with all the code 55 pieces for you to drag and drop. It stays there whilst you construct your plan.

No?

Anyrail also allows you to specify curved flexitrack by angle and radius

Best

Scott

EDIT : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-Mg-w6bHEA
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 05:39:08 PM by NGS-PO, Reason: Link added »
(PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.)

Anxiety is a lot like a toddler. It never stops talking, tells you youíre wrong about everything, and wakes you up at 3am.

I get nervous about just about everything. Sometimes I literally donít know why Iím anxious. I just am and no-one seems to understand that.

Offline Paddy

• N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2020, 05:40:07 PM »
Yes.  :)

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

Offline NGS-PO

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2020, 05:43:13 PM »
An example of an AnyRail plan:

Stanley Junction by ScottyStitch, on Flickr

Offline GPHolmes

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2020, 05:57:05 PM »
Sorted found the original disk and loaded WinRail
Although now it is up and running I wondered why I preferred it.

N Gauge, basically double level fiddle yard on lower, scenic on top with helix on both ends, simple, as I mention created back in 2002 for a display layout. Fiddle yard and helix's was all code 80 with top level all code 55.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 06:23:45 PM by GPHolmes »

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £5.00
Below Goal: £55.00
Site Currency: GBP
 8%
April Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal