!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Best scenic manufacturer?  (Read 248 times)

Offline Thebaz

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Best scenic manufacturer?
« on: March 26, 2020, 08:38:53 AM »
Morning campers,

Simple question with no doubt one hundred answers... Which manufacturer produces the best quality scenic detail particularly for grasses, trees, flowers, rocks etc?

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
Re: Best scenic manufacturer?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 08:56:38 AM »
I don't think there is one single source - different firms provide different items for you to mix and match depending on the effects you want to achieve. Why limit yourself?

Traditionally I've always used Woodland Scenics for the fine "foam granule" type of ground cover, but that's more to ensure a consistent overall colour palette between boards made 20 years ago and boards I'm constructing now.  My scenic box has stuff from many different brands.    I'm not keen on the "coloured sawdust" stuff.

Rocks I create myself from plaster, though I do have some rubber moulds I've not really made a lot of use of them.

I've noticed that offerings of pre-made flowers/plants and other details have increased over the past decade, but they're not cheap so have a go at creating them yourself  :)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 08:58:01 AM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Thebaz

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 09:06:29 AM »
I'm not limiting myself per se, it's just that I'm trying to build this layout relatively quickly and I don't want to buy stuff which looks naff. I'm intending to do buildings myself from scratch, but I don't have time to do both.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 09:22:52 AM »
I think that most modellers would agree that the American Woodlands Scenics products are the weapon of choice, although they are a bit on the expensive side. However, they've been around a long time and the range of products and scenic materials is now huge.

The foam scenic materials are colourfast, and I have some stuff on my layout that is approaching 40 years old and has not faded. The colours are also consistent - you could buy a packet of a particular colour and it would match another packet of the same.

Their water products are also excellent (avoid EZY water, however).

Please note that I have no connection with the firm, I'm just a satisfied user of many years.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 09:29:00 AM »
I think the art of creating scenery which isn't "naff" is to study nature and photos of the scenes you're trying to represent. That then guides what types of scenic materials to employ and how to use them. Who makes the stuff becomes less relevant.     

As a modeller in England I've adopted the tendency we seem to have of using a muted colour palette even on my European themed layouts. When I've teken them to join in with layouts made in Germany the differences in colour choices are sometimes quite obvious and to my eyes seem a bit garish, yet just looking out the plane window over Europe  shows they have it correct more often than not :D
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Thebaz

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 09:51:28 AM »
I think the art of creating scenery which isn't "naff" is to study nature and photos of the scenes you're trying to represent. That then guides what types of scenic materials to employ and how to use them. Who makes the stuff becomes less relevant.     

As a modeller in England I've adopted the tendency we seem to have of using a muted colour palette even on my European themed layouts. When I've teken them to join in with layouts made in Germany the differences in colour choices are sometimes quite obvious and to my eyes seem a bit garish, yet just looking out the plane window over Europe  shows they have it correct more often than not :D

Well yes, I wasn't just going to slap it down and hope for the best! My layout is in Dorset so I know I will need heathland type vegetation and pine trees, but also stuff like typical lineside vegetation (tall grasses, trees, buddleias) and domestic garden flora. A muted colour palette is probably a good idea, but then again there are the possibilities of choosing a season and modelling that. I've seen a few snow scenes but has anyone ever modelled a wet Tuesday afternoon?

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 11:40:25 AM »
I agree Wodland scenics for scatter and some other items, but for trees, bushes and hedges I get the cheap Chinese Ebay offerings and then tart them up, reshape and add scatter material can transform them, for hedges I cut branches off the trees, bend the cut end at right angles and "plant it".
To add scenic scatter, spray the tree or branch with adhesive then drop in a polythene bag containing  the required scatter, flowers or fruit can be represented by dabs of paint.

Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 03:30:00 PM »
I can highly recommend Model Scenery Supplies ,they do have a website though I dont  know what the situation is at the moment .
They don’t manufacture scenic but do stock a huge range ,and they allso make there own baseboards of any size to order ,
No connection with this company other than a happy customer .
Bob Tidbury

Offline Gizzy

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2020, 04:27:56 PM »
I can highly recommend Model Scenery Supplies ,they do have a website though I dont  know what the situation is at the moment .
They don’t manufacture scenic but do stock a huge range ,and they allso make there own baseboards of any size to order ,
Bob Tidbury
Seconded!

I buy something from Paul and Debbie at nearly all of the exhibitions that Mizzy Gizzy and I attend....
Gizzy

Gentleman, scholar, railway modeller....

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+6)
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2020, 04:35:32 PM »
Bob Tidbury
Seconded!

I buy something from Paul and Debbie at nearly all of the exhibitions that Mizzy Gizzy and I attend....

Still working their magic are they???,

Sorry that's a @dannyboy standard joke  :D :smiley-laughing:

Offline Gizzy

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2020, 04:59:40 PM »
Bob Tidbury
Seconded!

Still working their magic are they???,

Sorry that's a @dannyboy standard joke  :D :smiley-laughing:

I liked that?

Not a lot....  :smiley-laughing:
Gizzy

Gentleman, scholar, railway modeller....

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2020, 03:55:55 PM »
I've used all sorts Hornby, greenscenes etc and also various things from the home made department. The Woodland Scenics stuff seems to be by far the most fade resistant.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline Paddy

• N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2020, 04:24:26 PM »
For what it is worth, I would recommend Woodland Scenics.  I have used them and found they produce excellent results (and I do not claim to be any sort of modelling guru!).

Kind regards

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £5.00
Below Goal: £55.00