!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Luxulyan - Cornwall Branch Line  (Read 318 times)

Offline stickman

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Luxulyan - Cornwall Branch Line
« on: March 26, 2020, 08:34:56 AM »
With being confined to home, I have been playing on SCARM and come up with a layout plan.  It is loosely based on Luxulyan in Conrwall and has a china clay dries on the left hand side.  I have never built a layout before so comments would be appreciated!

First help needed is how to attached a pdf of the layout!!  I have tried but struggling to get it to work!

Thanks
Nick
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 08:45:48 AM by stickman »

Online chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
Re: Luxulyan - Cornwall Bracnh Line
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 08:39:21 AM »
With being confined to home, I have been playing on SCARM and come up with a layout plan.  It is loosely based on Luxulyan in Conrwall and has a china clay dries on the left hand side.  I have never built a layout before so comments would be appreciated!

Welcome to the madhouse, the more the merrier.

First help needed is how to attached a pdf of the layout!!  I have tried but struggling to get it to work!

Help apparently not needed after all, it attached and opens OK - for me at least.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
Re: Luxulyan - Cornwall Branch Line
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 09:38:29 AM »
G'day from Australia, stickman, and welcome to the NGF!  :thumbsup:

Yep, PDF opens fine. May I ask the dimensions please? It looks pretty big!

Which brings me to a question.... I know it's a branchline based upon a real place, but with a fiddle yard that big, you'll be able to hold some pretty long trains, which brings me to ask why a branchline and were you not tempted to model a mainline?

I know I would be, if that space is as big as it looks!

Welcome on board. :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 09:45:59 AM »
What space are you working with please? Eg 10 x 4 ft . Are you analogue or DC?

Offline stickman

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 10:30:53 AM »
Sorry I was a bit vague!  The layout will be DCC and is long and thin!  Around 4.6M long and as narrow as possible 600 ish.

I live next door to the station so there is a chance to model our house on the layout.  The line would see holiday trains to Newquay and also china clay freight trains.

I must admit I thought the fiddle yard was overkill  :)

Offline NGS-PO

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 10:45:13 AM »

I must admit I thought the fiddle yard was overkill  :)

Always build as big a fiddle/storage yard as your space will allow.  You'll thank yourself for it in the future.

Best

Scott
(PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.)

Anxiety is a lot like a toddler. It never stops talking, tells you youíre wrong about everything, and wakes you up at 3am.

I get nervous about just about everything. Sometimes I literally donít know why Iím anxious. I just am and no-one seems to understand that.

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 11:10:34 AM »
Agree with Scott. Have to say that is cool living next to a railway station. Hope the wife doesn't mind the smell and sounds when hanging washing out or attending to the flowers. Still excuse for dmus, class 37s, a 25 maybe, 22 on the milk tanks, a 45 or 47 on the newquay and a 50

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 11:16:29 AM »
Hello Nick, and welcome to the forum :wave:
I'm assuming the oval itself will be bi-directional? If so, I'd make the following observations:-

I think the 2 sidings above the loop at the right hand side need moving to the right of the top point of the crossover. As things stand they're not accessible by anything apart from a single loco from either direction. ('Normal' practice is for trains to pass sidings then reverse the train into the siding)

The set of sidings and loop at the right hand side only look capable of accepting short trains. Is that OK for you?

I have nos issues with the large fiddle yard as I'd have each storage line split into maybe 3 sections for the shorter trains I envisage being run

Offline stickman

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2020, 12:22:59 PM »
Hi Newportnobby,

Thanks for the comments.  The layout is vaguely resembling pictures and plans I found, but adapted slightly.  As the small siding is reduced in size on the layout I agree the point position needs to be changed as you suggested.  Thanks for this.  Below is an old plan I found that has been modified!

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2020, 12:30:35 PM »
Welcome aboard Stickman.
Itís always good to have more people on here building Cornish layouts.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline stickman

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2020, 01:24:40 PM »
Thanks port perran, a fellow veedubber also?  ;)

Offline stickman

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2020, 02:10:08 PM »
Had a play at lunchtime and updated a few things.  Thanks for the advice and comments  :)

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2020, 02:33:26 PM »
Thanks port perran, a fellow veedubber also?  ;)
Certainly am although trips out at the moment are somewhat curtailed.
Yes, thatís Bertie our Ď72 Bay.
Do you have a VW?

Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2020, 04:34:36 PM »
Had a play at lunchtime and updated a few things.  Thanks for the advice and comments  :)

Better, but anything heading 'eastwards' for the sidings at the RHS will end up locked against the buffers by its train. Not a problem with DCC as you can simply add a loco to the back and haul the train out, releasing the original loco. Bit more difficult with DC. However, if the straight piece of track off the loop was extended slightly a train from the east could run into that and then reverse the train into the sidings. Just a thought, but I don't want to stray too far from the prototype.

Online chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2020, 04:44:01 PM »
However, if the straight piece of track off the loop was extended slightly a train from the east could run into that and then reverse the train into the sidings. Just a thought, but I don't want to stray too far from the prototype.

It's somewhat longer on the prototype, in addition to being a trailing point off the loop and with the sidings off the headshunt rather then the loop, as per (IIRC) the version 1 layout. That way shunting can be done without obstructing the platform line.
Could the headshunt be made longer but curving round towards the middle of the board and hidden behind what I assume is intended to be a scenic section between the station and the china clay works? Maybe behind a row of trees?
That would provide a more practical headshunt whilst not restricting the scenic area too much.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £5.00
Below Goal: £55.00
Site Currency: GBP
 8%
April Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal