!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Help required - Converted DC layout to DCC - Short Circuit Issues  (Read 145 times)

Offline ziltam

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Good evening to you all.

I am scratching my head with this one and hoping that someone out there will be able to help resolve the problem.

Analogue loco runs on the track with no issues.  There are a number of loops and sidings on the layout and the loco will run round all of the layout without issue using a Bachmann analogue controller and clips on the points (like for Hornby).

I replaced the analogue controller with a Bachmann Dynamis wireless digital controller (I used it on a previous 00 layout with no issue).  When I place my new digital loco on the track, (arrived today with a decoder already fitted from a reputable outlet) there is a short.

Thinking there may be an issue with the layout I hooked up a single straight length of track to the Dynamis Digital Wireless Controller and placed the digital loco on the track.  It shorted.

Finally, I made a circle of track and again connected the Digital controller to the track.  Again, it shorted. 

The analogue loco ran down the single straight and around the circle using the analogue controller with no issues.

Am i missing something?  Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Matthew

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
Re: Help required - Converted DC layout to DCC - Short Circuit Issues
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 07:19:59 PM »
From what you describe, plus assuming that the DCC system doesn't short out until you place the new loco on the track, that plainly indicates the new loco is the problem?

Have you tried the new loco on DC?

If you're confident with removing the body you could investigate the decoder installation maybe, otherwise sounds like it needs to go back to the shop. Something may have happened in transit.  When you say the decoder was fitted by the shop, was this a simple plug-in installation or did the loco require hard-wiring?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 07:23:11 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline ziltam

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 07:33:29 PM »
Hi Ntpntpntp, thanks for the reply.

The decoder was fitted by the shop and it was plug in installation, no hard wiring.  The plug that enabled it to run Analogue was in the box with the loco when it arrived.  As you say, I am wondering if the decoder has come loose in transit.

I haven't tried he new loco on DC yet.  I will do so.

Kind regards

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 07:40:38 PM »
@ziltam   ok so it sounds like you have some options to try before concluding it has to go back. 

Presumably the shop tested the loco on DCC after fitting?

Possibly the decoder is touching the chassis block and needs an insulating sleeve?

Possibly the decoder has suffered infant mortality (very rare but can happen).

Remove the decoder and refit the DC blanking plug, test the loco on DC.

The short may have permanently damaged the decoder.

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline ziltam

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 07:52:01 PM »
@ntpntpntp New loco is also dead on DC track.

The DCC controller defaults to stop when turned on so no power goes to the tack.  When the loco is placed on the track and the controller turned on, the short icon appears.  When the controller is turned on without the loco on the track the short icon is not visible.  As soon as the loco is placed on the track, the short icon appears.

Whilst I know that it shouldn't be done, I placed the analogue loco on the DCC powered track and turned on the controller.  The motor of the loco buzzed and no short icon appeared on the controller.  I quickly removed the Analogue loco from the track.

The paperwork that came with the loco stated that the DCC was fitted and tested.

I will call the retailer tomorrow and see what they advise, I wouldn't like to invalidate any returns policies they have if i start tinkering now.

Thanks for your help and guidance.  It is greatly appreciated.

Offline ziltam

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 09:17:44 PM »
 @ntpntpntp :claphappy:

I couldn't stop myself from tinkering.

I took the body off, insulated the decoder and fettled the wires into a better position so that when the body was replaced there was no pressure on them. 

I then replaced the body and tightened the screws underneath.  It ran but still shorted. 

I checked everything over again and after a couple more false starts noticed that one screw into the body through the chassis was standing slightly proud.  When the connecting rod on the wheels came to the top (0 3 0 Class 3F Jinty), it hit the screw head and shorted.  After ensuring the screw head was tightened flush the shorts have stopped and the loco is running like a dream.

Thank you so much for the help and pointers, greatly appreciated.

Kindest regards

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 09:22:33 PM »
Splendid, glad it's sorted - and even better that you have the satisfaction of having resolved it yourself  :D

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £5.00
Below Goal: £55.00
Site Currency: GBP
 8%
April Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal