New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Any SNCF modellers?  (Read 31412 times)

Offline bobcorrigan

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Any SNCF modellers?
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2012, 07:43:16 PM »
The best I could find quickly was a Rail Sim reference: http://www.activitysimulatorworld.net/La_documentation/MSTSFR30.PDF

I'll poke at the manufacture's site to see if I can find more.

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2012, 08:10:58 PM »
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2012, 09:37:38 AM »

quote author=EtchedPixels link=topic=486.msg101515#msg101515 date=1354563019]
If someone can find plans I' ll have a serious look - the inset doors are a doddle in 3D print (unlike etching where they are nightmares)
[/quote]

l don't think you will get a  much better drawing than that for SNCF stock.

Are you saying that you are well into the 3D modelling scene, if so I have a huge archive of drawings built up over the years when to create anything SNCF you had to kitbash or scratcbuild.

There are still some things that are unlikely to be produced by main stream manufacturers so if anyone else has got any desires for particular SNCF items I’d be happy to act as consultant and join in on any project to produce less familiar stuff.

Many of the projects I once had (if you ever saw my Continental Modeller How to model French Railways in N Gauge  articles in the early 2000s) are now passé as the French N gauge offer has exploded in the last few years.
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2012, 11:19:20 AM »

If someone can find plans I' ll have a serious look - the inset doors are a doddle in 3D print (unlike etching where they are nightmares)

l don't think you will get a  much better drawing than that for SNCF stock.

Are you saying that you are well into the 3D modelling scene, if so I have a huge archive of drawings built up over the years when to create anything SNCF you had to kitbash or scratcbuild.

I've got a set of tools I'm slowly developing so I can spit out some types of model fast - each coaches. The EMUs in question are interesting for two reasons - they almost fit the tool but not quite so are a good test case for improving it, and they don't seem to be available in HO either - and I do like having some stuff only available in N  :D

The main thing I'm missing for the unit itself is any views of the non cab ends.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline quinntopia

• YouTube
    • Quinntopia - World Domination in N Scale!
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2013, 09:52:49 AM »
Quote from: bobcorrigan on December 02, 2012, 06:58:04 PM

Any sense of whether or not someone has them for sale in N?

To be blunt – no chance! There isn’t even an HO model to my knowledge.

I didn’t even see the type mentioned in a recent pole of what the dedicated French N gaugers listed as their priority ‘wants’.

Gordon as you have pointed out, so many French locomotives have been offered in the past 5 years as to make French one of the most well-represented countries in N gauge in the world now.  The biggest gap I see is in the area of their EMU's.   From what I know there isn't a single model of any of the French EMU's that circulate around Paris or the rest of the country.    The closest thing I can get to something typical of Paris' suburban network are two VB2N coaches from the infamous EurotrainsSL (after my successful first order for the two coaches, I then sent on cash for the driving car and transition coach after which the firm has since been AWOL) which would be pulled by my new BB25600 in Ille de France livery.  Well that's on hold for a bit!

Anyway, it would be terrific to get a representative EMU of the RER/Transilien/ SNCF suburban network.  I'm sure there are lots of folks like Bob and myself who recall seeing these trains in the Paris area and would gladly jump at the chance to get a model!

Offline woodbury22uk

• N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2013, 12:48:13 PM »
There is a continuing demand for the Z2 family of EMU which I produced as a (amateur) brass kit nearly 20 years ago using Grafar motorised and Lima trailer chassis. As in the past the Z2 topped the recent French "Forum du N" poll for EMUs. The advantage is that there are 5 very similar versions plus the quite different Luxembourg version. The liveries have been very varied over the past 30+ years and cover much of the electrified network except Paris and the North. This lends itself best to an industrial scale manufacture though the Jouef H0 version was never a big seller AFAIK. I sold 50 SNCF Z2 kits and 40 Luxembourg ones which makes me think that an RTR version would find a ready market.

The Z6400 is an attractive machine and well suited to a limited scale production. There are some side and end elevations in the various La Vie du Rail editions of "Le matériel moteur de la SNCF". I have 4 of these if Etched Pixels is interested.

One advantage shared by the Z2 family and the Z6400 is that the bogies are not tucked up under the body so sourcing chassis is less of a problem than with some of the latest designs.

Mike
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 05:04:48 PM by woodbury22uk »
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Membre AFAN 0196

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2013, 02:15:02 PM »
I'd be interested in other views/diagrams. The big one I don't have is the non cab ends.

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2013, 10:31:31 AM »
There is a continuing demand for the Z2 family of EMU which I produced as a (amateur) brass kit nearly 20 years ago using Grafar motorised and Lima trailer chassis.

I now have four Z2s as I recently acquired two - one (not Mike's kit) from Trains N'Co at Orléans* expo  and an ex-Luxembourg example of one of Mike's kits (rather amusibnlgy packed in a now dated Video tape case - is the case worth more than the model LOL?! As such I'm about to put one of my Mike Harvey kits up on ebay. It is painted in the 1980s TER yellow as I wanted it (cheekily - as there are varaitions in the roof detail) to represent either a Languedoc Rouisillon dc version or the Lorraine yellow ac version

*anyone who is the least bit interested in French N should try and make it to this show - although it's only every 2 years
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Offline woodbury22uk

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2013, 11:03:57 AM »
Gordon

Of course all this was produced in the pre-WYSIWYG days when my office computer  terminal clunked along from a server and making the label for the Z2 Luxembourg kit at home  was literally a cut and paste job using scissors and Photomount, followed by a Canon colour copier. Hopefully the video case is worth something! The etch brass artwork was hand drawn (using a photocopier to help with the multiple items), printed in red for the front etch, with black and blue then added by hand for the through and back etch. I know that Christophe Phulpin has an etched Z2 in development which is very detailed. This includes the SNCF and CFL variations.

The photos on the cover were taken in Luxembourg in January 1994. The SNCF Z2s were at least a year earlier than that.

Mike
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Offline woodbury22uk

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2013, 11:06:26 AM »
I'd be interested in other views/diagrams. The big one I don't have is the non cab ends.

I have not found a drawing of the inner car ends yet. Could possibly get someone to photograph one or more  in a depot as I suspect they are not all the same.

Mike
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Offline SNCFStephen

• Awards
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2013, 01:35:55 PM »
Hello,

I thought that this topic was the most appropriate first post for me. I am Stephen and I model the SNCF and I am currently making an interpretation of a small branchline through station in the Limousin called Eymoutiers. My layout is modular based on Kato Unitrak (with modified T Trak standards) so it is more of a network than a layout...

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)
In this picture you can see my modern TER X2200 and the sound fitted X73500 unit.

I have also dabbled with 3D printing (I got someone else to do the design work but I am now developing the skills to do this myself!).
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)
Here is a version of the DU65 Draisine fitted to an Arnold Swiss Tracteur chassis (it has a DCC chip installed as well!).

I am hoping to start work on some 3D printed projects in the next few months and to keep my mind occupied I am currently designing a little diorama of a chunk of Limoges Depot so that I have somewhere to display my collection of Autorails (I am rather obsessed about them).

I hope that you like these photographs and I will post some more pictures in a dedicated layout thread at some point soon.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2013, 01:39:41 PM »
Hi Stephen, and welcome into the forum :wave:

It's always interesting to see what is going on other than UK outline, so thank you for the pics of your stock.
What sort of size area do you have to model in please?

Offline Brooksy

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2013, 02:25:28 PM »
Good to have some more continental modelling on display. First pictures look good - look forward to seeing some more soon.

:welcomesign:

Cheers,

Brooksy

Offline SNCFStephen

• Awards
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2013, 04:54:51 PM »
Thanks for your nice words. I have written up a topic about the layout that can be found here:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12031.0

Offline Delfin

• N Gauge Society Number: 3141
    • Worcester N Gauge
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2013, 07:32:35 PM »
I have recently joined the forum and thought that I would introduce myself.  I'm mainly into North American and British N scale/gauge.  However, I have recently made quite a few visits to France and, needless to say, have taken an interest in modelling the SNCF in N.

So far I have only been slowly collecting rolling stock, but when I finish a couple of American modules which are on the workbench, a French layout will be on the production line.  Compared to American and Britain, the French prototype seems to be less developed in N.  So quite a bit of scratch building seems to be on the cards, especially for buildings.  Something I'm rather looking forward to. 

I'm not yet sure about a location for a layout, always being tempted by wherever I have been mostly recently.  Timewise my interest lies mainly in the sixties/seventies and in particular the gorgeous railcars.  :thumbsup:

Sandy Saunders

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything