!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: GraFar Electric DCC fitting  (Read 363 times)

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
Re: GraFar Electric DCC fitting
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2020, 06:53:11 AM »
If you want to use them on a DCC layout then youíve got to fit a decoder. So that depends on your control system. You canít use DC locos on a DCC layout.

Unless you only have a very small fleet I definitely wouldnít subscribe to ďif Iím DCC I may as well fit soundĒ, as one is trivial, and one really isnít, not to mention costs, but your choice.

Offline jpendle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2020, 01:28:55 PM »

I am undecided on the standard or 'normal' DCC to be honest.  While it makes the control a bit easier, I dont know if its worth the hassle.  If I am going to the trouble of DCC'ing locos, then it seems logical to go the extra mile (or should that be 10 miles!) to put sound in as well.  I suppose even with normal DCC and a small stayalive, the running quality would probably be improved?  I have a Digitrax system, but have generally preferred Zimo chips in the past - what do you think to the DZ125s?  I presume they've been replaced by the DZ126 now? https://www.digitrax.com/products/mobile-decoders/dz126t/

Rich

IMHO opinion, with Zimo non-sound decoders available for 20 pounds it's a no brainer. I use Zimo in all my locos, except for the 4 that came pre-fitted with ESU Loksound (Pendolinos).
Zimo have excellent motor control and more CV's than you can shake a stick at, they also work straight from the box with zero tweaking. They have 28 step speed curves pre-programmed by default as well, so you can turn that feature on to get even better control.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline Steven B

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12107
  • 2mm Association Number: 4196
    • NGS Yorkshire Area Group
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2020, 02:07:45 PM »
I have a Digitrax system, but have generally preferred Zimo chips in the past - what do you think to the DZ125s?  I presume they've been replaced by the DZ126 now?

Prior to the Zimo decoders dropping in price, my decoder of choice was the DZ125 or DZ126 (after also playing with Lenz and TCS) as they were good value for money. I've got both fitted to Farish locos and can't see much difference between them.

Given the choice now I'd go for Zimo. It's a couple of quid less expensive and easier to buy (Digitrax stuff is still in short supply after their factory was damaged in Hurricane Michael). The Zimo decoder has extra functions made available as solder pads on the 6 pin decoder so it's easier to re-wire the loco to give indepent control of the red lights.

I believe it's also possible to configure even the non-sound Zimo decoders with active braking although I've yet to try it. (i.e. set largish deceleration value and one function key can be used to actively slow the loco rather than letting it coast to a stop).

Steven B.

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2020, 02:50:49 PM »
Yep, totally agree. All my Digitrax fitted locos are pre-Zimo price drop. I do quite like that they have an idiot proof warranty too. Melt one with a soldering iron? Sorry we didnít make it fireproof, hereís a new one.

Offline MarshLane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • 2mm Association Number: 5440
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2020, 06:29:55 PM »
Thanks guys.
I am trying for sound, but if I decide itís not possible, then Iíll go for the £20 Zimo option!

Rich

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £5.00
Below Goal: £55.00
Site Currency: GBP
 8%
April Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal