!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Halfway  (Read 2399 times)

Offline LASteve

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28183
    • Awards
Re: Halfway
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2020, 02:38:36 AM »
If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Try this trick - join and solder your two track pieces and form the curve - but just the part either side of the join, don't worry about the rest of it for now. Just make sure that your join stays smooth and flush. I use a Tracksetta when I'm doing this, but any method is fine, and then fix it in place in a temporary location, best is to pin it. You don't have to pin through the sleepers if you don't want to, but that's the best way - two pins per sleeper at each side of the join to keep it rigid, then pin every fourth or fifth sleeper, go 15 sleepers each side of the join to be safe. When you pull the pins out and weather/ballast the track the tiny holes will disappear anyway.

Then put a dab of Superglue on every sleeper chair where it holds the rail, both sides, inside and out, working from the join. I go out as far as I've pinned the track. Let the glue dry hard, then you can remove the pins and you'll have a solid, immovable section of track at the correct radius each side of your join. You can then form the rest of the curves  knowing that the inside rail will only "travel" at the "unjoined" end and the join will stay put.

The same trick can be used when you're coming off a curve into a straight section or a turnout. You don't even have to pin the track for this, just Superglue the first 10-15 sleepers at the end of the flextrack while it is still straight and then when you form the curved part, you're essentially creating an easement section where it joins to the straight.

You still have to be careful when you're moving the track into position not to put any undue stress on the join, but if you're reasonably gentle it'll stay put.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2020, 03:20:39 AM »
That is one very cool helpful contribution, Steve.

Thanks for posting!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Graham

• N Gauge Society Number: 20459
  • Modelling modern image
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2020, 06:23:20 AM »
echo @Bealman comments, only additional comment i can make is dont forget expansion gaps. I did. I ended up soldering 4 or 5 lengths to make long sweeping curves only to have the 50+ degree temp changes in my train room (back of the garage) manage to rip rails out of the chairs on very hot days.

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2020, 06:30:06 AM »
Yes, we do have large temperature differential over 24 hours here. Weirdly enough, even though my layout is also in a garage, I've never had expansion problems.

Just lucky, I guess!

Offline Graham

• Modelling modern image
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2020, 07:28:10 AM »
Yes, we do have large temperature differential over 24 hours here. Weirdly enough, even though my layout is also in a garage, I've never had expansion problems.

Just lucky, I guess!
or just better at laying the track than i am :hmmm:, Will make sure the next layout is layed correctly.

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2020, 07:56:48 AM »
Judging by DP1 on your callsign, I think you've got it cracked!  :thumbsup:

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2020, 08:48:30 AM »
The coeficient of linear expansion of steel is 7.2 x 10-6 so for a 20C rise, a meter or track would expand by only 0.15mm, which I wouldn't expect to be a problem.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2020, 08:59:05 AM »
Except it ain't steel, it's nickel silver  ;)

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2020, 09:54:28 AM »
Except it ain't steel, it's nickel silver  ;)
The coeficient for nickel silver is similar, 16 x 10-6 so that would be about 0.3mm per metre, which, unless all your rail joints are soldered, shouldn't be a problem.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online impinabox

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2020, 10:06:15 AM »
Thank you for all your wise words.  I'm still leaning towards the settrack solution since it's going to be inside a tunnel anyway but I'll think on it a bit longer and maybe experiment with a few flex off-cuts.
Mike

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing badly.

Current layout project: Halfway - https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=48537.0

Online jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2020, 01:33:46 PM »

Just lucky, I guess!

No just  :censored: track laying like everyone else.

On the 4 track lifting section on my layout, 3 tracks have joins in the middle and one doesn't.
The one which doesn't became a small hill due to temperature changes this year  :D
As @Innovationgame says metal rail joiners act as expansion joints. Who new? Apart from him of course. :bounce:

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline Graham

• Modelling modern image
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2020, 09:38:39 PM »
all i know now is some of my lengths were 5yds of track soldered together to make a single piece, given @Innovationgame calcs that would give me 1.5mm expansion with nowhere to go except sideways tearing the rail out of the sleeper chair, hence next build will not have the same issue as i will have expansion gaps.
Graham

Online impinabox

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2020, 11:18:35 PM »
I went with the setrack solution in the end and also replaced the setrack point on the branch line loop with a medium radius one and all is now well - ish.  Trains run around without derailing - even with my two very old Grafar coaches that seem to derail at random given the slightest opportunity.  I'll post some more piccies soon - might try a video if I can master the tech.
Mike

Current layout project: Halfway - https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=48537.0

Online impinabox

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2020, 04:52:45 PM »
Made a bit of progress over the weekend - I've now laid all the track on the bottom deck up to half way up the ramps to the top deck and started putting the top deck in place.  To test the clearance below the top deck I ran a few trains around...

https://youtu.be/HV4CsM0wT4I

Thomas the Tank Engine is included in this test as it's the biggest item on the track.  This is the Tomy 'Thomas and Friends' set which I'm sure isn't really 1:148 scale - must be more like 1:125.  Anyway - it gets under the bridge and into the tunnel with about 1.5mm to spare - everything else has bags of room!  (And yes, that IS the same bog-roll that appeared in an earlier post - these things are strictly rationed at Imp Towers just now!)

Mike

Online impinabox

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2020, 05:18:56 PM »
The test run was also the first use of the new 4 track controller, slung under the baseboard while I did the wiring down there.

It has 4 variable track outputs based around the LM675 power op-amp and giving -12 to +12V, 4 fixed regulated outputs at 12V and 5V and 12-0-12V ac for point motor control via a CDU (also under construction).  Hand controls plug in via DIN sockets in the front.

A quick test seems to show that 12Vac thru the CDU is enough to drive a SEEP point motor so fingers crossed the 2 x 4700uF caps in there will be enough to drive 3 points at once - tho 8 would be better!  With 1A available at each track and fixed output, and 6A total, this beast should be enough to drive anything I might add to the layout in future - I hope! 
Mike

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal