!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Locos Buzzing But not Moving  (Read 269 times)

Offline Modelbry

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Locos Buzzing But not Moving
« on: March 06, 2020, 03:26:32 PM »
I have a Farish Class 57 Diesel Loco and a Dapol Pannier and both have been running fine on my DCC layout. Now all of a sudden neither will budge.  The Class 57 starts humming when I apply power on my NEC contoller and the Pannier screaming as soon as I put it on the track even without me operating the speed control. 

Any ideas what cold be causing it?

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
Re: Locos Buzzing But not Moving
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 03:35:47 PM »
Stupid question, but you haven't taken the decoders out and replaced with DC blanking plates have you?  :D  What you describe sounds very much like what happens when a non-DCC loco is placed on DCC track.

If not that, then you have to suspect the decoders have failed, but seems odd that two locos would fail at the same time.   Do you have other locos - are they working ok?

Can you try the locos on a DC controller?
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Modelbry

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 03:39:34 PM »
I don't have a DC controller.  I haven't touched the decoders.  They both were working fine this morning.  I went to do a bit of work on my layout today and the problem just happened.

I don't have any other loco's I can try.

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 03:41:08 PM »
That’s very odd indeed. Did you do any work on the layout, or was the problem just spontaneously there?

Certainly the pannier sounds like what happens when there’s no decoder.

Buzzing could be a mechanical issue preventing the loco moving, like a split gear. No better in either direction I presume?

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 03:54:22 PM »
They both were working fine this morning.  I went to do a bit of work on my layout today and the problem just happened.

I think this bit of the post might be relevant. :hmmm: What work exactly did you do?
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Modelbry

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 04:03:04 PM »
They both were working fine this morning.  I went to do a bit of work on my layout today and the problem just happened.

I think this bit of the post might be relevant. :hmmm: What work exactly did you do?

I just added a turnout.  The class 57 worked ok after i installed the turnout.  Once the problem started, I removed the turnout anyway in case that caused it but the problem persists.

I've just tried attahing a single piece  of track  independent to the main bus to the NEC and get the same result!

Offline Modelbry

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2020, 04:41:55 PM »
The locos both make a buzzing noise as soon as they're put on the track and without me touching the acceleration control.  Weird. 

Offline Intercity

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2020, 06:47:43 PM »
Have you tried resetting the decoders on the programming track?
Support crowdfunding - it’s the way forward

Revolutions class 321 needs your help, let’s make it happen.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2020, 07:21:26 PM »
@Modelbry    I take it by "NEC" you mean "NCE" as in the popular American made DCC system by North Coast Engineering?  Which set are you using - eg. a PowerCab, or a PowerPro system?   Is the display on the throttle showing normal operation and responding to loco selection, speed changes, function buttons etc.?

Given that this is happening with both your locos on a separate piece of track, wondering if something has shorted and possibly damaged the output while you were working on the layout? Still seems odd that your decoder fitted locos would be making noises/buzzes.  Trying to think what could cause that, maybe some sort of AC power without a DCC signal getting to the track?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 07:22:30 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Modelbry

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2020, 08:32:47 PM »
@Modelbry    I take it by "NEC" you mean "NCE" as in the popular American made DCC system by North Coast Engineering?  Which set are you using - eg. a PowerCab, or a PowerPro system?   Is the display on the throttle showing normal operation and responding to loco selection, speed changes, function buttons etc.?

Given that this is happening with both your locos on a separate piece of track, wondering if something has shorted and possibly damaged the output while you were working on the layout? Still seems odd that your decoder fitted locos would be making noises/buzzes.  Trying to think what could cause that, maybe some sort of AC power without a DCC signal getting to the track?

Thanks for your input.  Yes it is an NCE Powercab.  Anyway,  I think you may have had a point.  I've just done a factory reset on the Powercab and everything is working okay . Yippee.v 🙂

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+8)
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2020, 09:28:13 PM »
glad it is resolved!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £5.00
Below Goal: £55.00
Site Currency: GBP