!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Bodgem and Hackit at work  (Read 372 times)

Offline Dorsetmike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
Bodgem and Hackit at work
« on: February 24, 2020, 07:53:07 PM »
Bodgem and Hackit have been operating on my workbench recently, having built up a stock of Langley and BHE kits for S15 and N15 SR 4-6-0s and having now acquired suitable (and some less suitable)
chassis, decided to get stuck in.

I bought a new low temperature Weller iron a coupe of years ago as the one I've had since the 1970s was beginning to show signs of age. Not the best idea, the new one has a much thinner bit and the temperature setting dial is unmarked whereas the old one is calibrated in degres C. After faffing around testing how hot I  could set it before the white metal melts I made a mark on the setting wheel; after further faffing I gave up on the new iron and retrieved the old one from the spare room, not only is it easier to set but the thicker bit seems to transfer the heat better.

BHE loco body assembled, decided to fit it with a Minitrix chassis with 6' wheels to produce an H15. Said Minitrix chassis has a blooming great bit sticking up with a bulb in it! Attacked with circular saw blade in minidrill - took ages, that was folowed by removing more metal, to allow the chassis to sit level. Next problem aill be to swap the piston rod and other motion bits as the Minitrix is of a loco that drives the front axle, so it's trawl the bits box for something from an old Fleischmann loco the surprisingly is as near an exact fit as one could want.

So far over the years I have managed 4 variations 1x H15, 1xN15 and 2x S15, I still have to do a Maunsell H15, and 3 more N15 versions, and possibly a couple of tender variations for the S15; the BHE kit is the original Urie version, Maunsell produced others involving alternative tenders, no step over the cylinders and cab roofs, the Langley is the original Urie with the step but with a Drummond watercart tender. Pics below may help identify variations.

From the top Langley Urie S15 kit as supplied, running plate step up over cylinders, LSWR roof, Drummond Watercart tender, Fleischman 7161 chassis
Next Maunsell version of S15, no step over cylinders, cab roof to composite loading gauge, Urie/Maunsell pattern tender from BHE N15 kit,  7161 loco chasis, tender UM drive "stretched" by adding extra pair of wheels bogie side plates etch from Worsley works with cast axle boxes (BHE or NBrass)
Next H15 early version - step over cylinders, LSWR cab, Langley S15 loco body, BHE tender, bogie side frames (as above) Minitrix loco chassis with Fleischmann motion, Minitrix tender drive
Last Urie Arthur, BHE kit on Peco Jubilee chassis, UM tender drive -stretched as above.

Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
Re: Bodgem and Hackit at work
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 08:57:51 PM »
@Dorsetmike  I like to think that I am reasonable when it comes to creating 'scenickery' things, but when it comes to doing the sort of work you describe Mike with locomotives - that is not something I would contemplate.   :no: . I do marvel at some of the locomotive conversions seen on the the forum.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 06:42:10 AM »
 :thumbsup: You and me both, dannyboy.

Maybe one day I'll get fed up with building layouts and give locos a try, just maybe though.

Offline Dorsetmike

• Grumpy old fart
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 02:19:59 PM »
Frustration corner this morning, the latest Fleischmann non runner from Ebay on the test track, is definitely a nonrunner, motor turns fine when removed from tender but when refitted just sits there getting warm further disassembly reveals clag in the gears causing lock up. Dug out with a bit of thin stiff wire, finish off with a few blasts from an aerosol duster can - make sure all small items are situated well away from the action!
Reassembly - the tiny screws holding the motor in place are an absolute PITA even with a tiny magnetised screw driver they take ages to locate then more time keeping them in place to turn them.
Swapping the motion from a Minitrix to a Fleischmann is also causing grief - hope the forthcoming cataract op has the desired effect - whenI eventually get it, first appointment with consultant is not until July!!! So might get the op by Christmas?
Got a T9 from Colin so the Fleischmann tender drive will go into a Langley S15 watercart body and get numbered either 337 or 338, the only 2 of the wide cab 3xx series to retain the watercarts and the S15 will get a Urie N15 tender body on a Minitrix drive. As for the UM T9 tender I'm contemplating a D15!

Definitely a mix and match operation.
Cheers MIKE

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Dorsetmike

• Grumpy old fart
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 06:12:18 PM »
Cheated a bit with the Fleischmann drive, one of the cogs was a bit beyond hope so I relegated it to the end of the drive chain and removed the idler that would have driven it, it's to go behind a UM T9.
Took a check through the work in progress list,  2x 9s, a Nelson hacked from a Jubilee, an H15 - LangleyS15 body, BHE N15 tender on Minitrix loco chassis with Fleischmann valve gear and a UM tender drive stretched, King Arthur modified BHE kit unkown Farish 4-6-0 chassis  UM tender drive stretched.

See this thread for stretching a UM drive, (I omitted to include adding a spare pair of wheels in front of the drive, see above pic) Araldite or super glue a short piece of plastic tube in front of the drive diameter to suit the axle on your spare pair of wheels.

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=37655.msg446004#msg446004
Cheers MIKE

Offline Dorsetmike

• Grumpy old fart
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2020, 07:05:51 PM »
I must avoid Ebay, just bought a Farish Scot to hack into another Lord Nelson and an Arnold German 2-6-4T see if that is a better fit in the 3D print W class tank than the Farish N class. Managed to get offers accepted a bit below listed prices.
Cheers MIKE

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal