Farish worm gear spacing - help needed

Started by Snowwolflair, February 24, 2020, 03:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snowwolflair

Does anyone know the distance between the axle centres and the motor centre on a classic pool Farish locomotive.

It has to be around 6.5mm but as I am making a gearbox it would great to be sure.

Can anyone help?

Snowwolflair

I'm having a play to see if it is possible to convert an old Farish loco with a coreless motor.

ODRAILS

Quote from: Snowwolflair on February 24, 2020, 06:46:09 PM
I'm having a play to see if it is possible to convert an old Farish loco with a coreless motor.

A great idea. I'd be interested in buying at least one if it's 3D printed.
How would the rear of the motor be fixed to the chassis?

Snowwolflair

Once i'm happy with the shape and prove it works I will list it on Shapeways.  I need to do it that way as it will need to be a polythene type plastic which Shapeways do.  Looks like £7-8 a unit but i'm removing mass so that might go down.

Snowwolflair

Snowwolflair

Cutting away the unnecessary plastic it looks better.

Shapeways are indicating about £5.50

stevewalker

And removing that extra bulk will maybe leave more space for a dcc decoder, which will be much easier to fit with a motor that is isolated from the chassis.

Snowwolflair

Almost there with the shape. I need to pick up the tube adaptor to fit the worm gear and test it next so I can make the final adjustments.

Yes, it will be possible to hand trim it further to get a DCC chip in if its tight.

Snowwolflair

The other option is to print in bronzed steel.  At £15 from Shapewys the extra weight might be worth it on a DCC 0-6-0 but the screw fixing would need to be insulated with a plastic tophat.

stevewalker

Looking very good! I might well consider that for converting some of my locos.

Snowwolflair

These videos used a print straight out of the printer without any modification.

Snowwolflair

Very sweet, not had a Farish loco of this era behave this well under DCC and very little noise.

Snowwolflair

I have ordered up some sample parts in various materials and finishes from Shapeways to see what will give the best results.  This will take a few weeks and in the interim I'm going to convert a number of my white metal kit built models all which labour under poof Farish motors.

ODRAILS

Quote from: Snowwolflair on February 25, 2020, 12:39:26 AM
The other option is to print in bronzed steel.  At £15 from Shapewys the extra weight might be worth it on a DCC 0-6-0 but the screw fixing would need to be insulated with a plastic tophat.
Hopefully we're talking about the Farish motor which was used in the nearly all the later Poole locos and the revised Chinese locos not just 0-6-0s
Ian

Snowwolflair

Quote from: ODRAILS on February 25, 2020, 11:15:37 PM
Quote from: Snowwolflair on February 25, 2020, 12:39:26 AM
Hopefully we're talking about the Farish motor which was used in the nearly all the later Poole locos and the revised Chinese locos not just 0-6-0s
Ian

Yes, for all their steam locos the motor was mounted identically as far as the plastic carrier, bearings and magnet.  I have a lot in white metal kits and in handmade models so my motivation to get a better result was high and I will be checking a number of locos across the range.  If I come across any differences the design can be changed to suit them but I'm not expecting to find any.

The key to getting it to work is a 7mm diameter motor available from @Sven of Tramfabriek  https://tramfabriek.nl/.  It has very good torque, much better than all the others I have tried and it gives serious pulling power.  He also supplies a 1mm to 1.5mm adaptor that allows the motor to use the Farish worm.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations