!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: NEWBIE from Blandford Forum  (Read 282 times)

Offline ronp849

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
NEWBIE from Blandford Forum
« on: March 10, 2020, 06:52:35 PM »
Hi All
I have just joined and the first things I find are the Joke pages - all 60 of them so I have a lot to get through!!

My main interest is in electronics and I am developing a small ngauge shuttle layout with five track ends and a turntable. The object of the project is find out how much a single micro controller, (same as UNO), can cope with before it runs out of electrons.

At the moment it is coping with one loco (DC), three solenoid operated points, one turntable with two positions and six track end loco detectors. The system will run in auto mode with random routes selected on track end detection.

Once that lot is operating properly I will start adding other features like LED signals, Weld flash simulation, servo operated level crossing gates and anything else I can think of.

Any suggestions?

Ron
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 06:54:03 PM by ronp849 »

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
Re: NEWBIE from Blandford Forum
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 06:59:14 PM »
Welcome aboard Ron.
Plenty of help and advice available on here but don’t ask me about electronics. You may as well be talking a foreign language  :D
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 08:20:45 PM by port perran »
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 07:15:08 PM »
Hi Ron and welcome from Bournemouth; one module I'd like to see is a way of counting coaches, wagons etc  into and out of a section, especially where it might be a hidden part of the track. Probably using IR to detect  each individual vehicle.If the count varies from one section to the next you've lost one - PANIC! It would also give train entering/leaving section which could be handy on larger multi operator layouts.

Electronics are not a problem for me I worked and taught radar in the RAF and traffic control equipment after that. Also built my own controllers that give very good low speed control.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 07:20:43 PM by Dorsetmike »
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline RailGooner

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 08:00:30 PM »
Welcome aboard Ron! :wave:
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Online Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 08:13:27 PM »
  :welcomesign:  As you have been told we do have a lot of skilled Modellers on this Forum and if your into electonics then you will be getting a lot of questions from members that want to go down that route , I don’t  want to have lots of electronics  really but the thing I would like to see as a simple to place unit is a scale speed display  there are  some available in the U S A   but way beyond my price range ,I do have an app on my Ipad but I would love something that you just place next to the track .Maybe that’s something you could design and build for us who don’t understand electronics .
Bob Tidbury
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 08:14:44 PM by Bob Tidbury »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 09:38:55 PM »
Hello Ron, and welcome to the forum :wave:
Sadly, you lost me immediately after "My main interest....." :dunce:

Offline ronp849

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020, 10:24:25 PM »
Thanks to All who replied.

Mike
Counting coaches could be difficult due to variability of coach and wagon lengths. But I have been thinking along the lines of looking at a train with a light sensor which would generate a sequence of timed on/off pulses. The sequence would then represent a signature for that train which could be detected and checked by a similar sensor elsewhere on the layout. If a radical difference is detected this could flag an error to the master controller. This is the theory anyway - when I start looking at it I will open a new thread for a build log.

Bob
If the setup above had an additional light sensor, the time between the two devices being triggered, along with the distance between them could be used to calculate and display the scale speed. All very theoretical though. I am sure the reality would throw a few spanners in the works but I look forward to the challenge!!!

I have just looked online for a commercial speed indicator - Yikes, you were not kidding when you said they were expensive. At present (Chinese) prices there is about £5 worth of hardware in the system.

Ron

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2020, 10:53:30 PM »
G'day from Australia, Ron, and welcome to the NGF!  :thumbsup:

You could always use a Mega board for more inputs and outputs!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Ditape

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25087
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2020, 11:24:48 PM »
 :hellosign: :welcomesign:
Diane Tape

Offline stevewalker

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2020, 11:55:30 PM »
No need to count coaches, just a detector for entering the section and a magnet on the last coach. No magnet detected, train is divided - just like signalmen looking for the red light on the back of the train and for the same reason.

Offline impinabox

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2020, 08:58:32 AM »
Hi Ron
I see you got the usual warm welcome from the forum.  As a recent newbie myself I've been very impressed with the interest and helpfulness of folks here.

I look forward to reading about your electronics exploits - I've just finished building a 4 track DC controller and now working on a mimic for point control with plans to introduce a Raspberry Pi into the mix once the basics are working.

Keep us posted.

Mike
Mike

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing badly.

Current layout project: Halfway - https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=48537.0

Offline johnk

• N Gauge Society Number: 10199
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2020, 08:17:00 PM »
Hi Ron

As you know its good to hear we at last have a true electronics expert in Blandford  :laughabovepost: :laughabovepost: :laughabovepost: Ive already welcomed you personally. Cheers
Johnk

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2020, 08:37:28 PM »
Hi Ron and welcome to the forum. Like Bob, I too would be interested in a scale speed indicator gadget.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2020, 10:04:12 PM »
Welcome to the forum!  :)

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Below Goal: £0.00