!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Morley controller - direction of locos  (Read 279 times)

Offline Saintcole7

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Morley controller - direction of locos
« on: February 21, 2020, 04:37:21 PM »
Hi All, I've just received my Morley controller after giving up on dcc, I'm old fashioned and could not get on with typing numbers in and prefer to twist a dial. Anyway I went for Morley over Guagemaster due to the directional knobs rather than the switch (all reviews seemed to indicate they were comparable) however though the majority of my small stock of locos move in the direction selected a few seem to go the opposite way, is it possible to change this or is it just one of those things?

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
Re: Morley controller - direction of locos
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 05:46:49 PM »
Depends on the specific locos (if you can list them that'd be useful) - but if the magnet is inverted on an old Farish loco, then it'll run the other way. Similarly, if the motor in a Minitrix loco is removed and fitted upside down, the same will happen, and if the locos are DCC ready with sockets, invert the blanking plugs, and they'll run the other way.

If you have specific locos, list them here for tailored advice.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.”Dr. Carl Sagan

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 05:48:25 PM »
If certain locos go the opposite direction on plain DC compared to others then that implies that somewhere along the line some of those locos have been fiddled with!  Assuming these locos don't have decoders fitted (a small minority of decoders can get slightly confused about direcition when run on plain DC), then  refitting a can motor upside down can cause this, as can refitting the magnet of a Farish open frame motor the wrong way up.

Do you have locos you bought brand new and haven't been touched internally? Those should be your reference as to which direction is "correct".   Manufacturers usually stick to a certain convention with regard to which rail needs to be the positive side of the circuit to cause forward motion.  I don't think I've ever come across an "out of the box" loco which went the other way.

When I service locos I always try them against a reference model before starting work, and I mark the top of can motors with a "T" to ensure they go back the same way up  :D

[edit] haha, Al and I must have been typing at the same time  :)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 05:50:22 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Saintcole7

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 06:21:19 PM »
Thanks Alan & ntp, very helpful, all my locos are 2nd hand, I've just turn't the blanking chips up the other way on the Dapols and they are now fine, many thanks. The only other one now is a Farish 08, I have one which is fine but the other one isn't, has a metal cog and has been weathered, 08097, I think it looks great so will just put up with it. Many thanks to you both

Online Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 08:33:51 PM »
Saintcole7 if you just carefully unscrew the screw in the corner  you could take the body off  you could just try what ntpntpntp and Dr Al have said it’s an easy job will take you ten minutes tops .
It’s so easy even I can do it and have done many times when I used to service locos .Though I don’t do it for any one now I still can manage old Farish for my self .
Bob Tidbury

Offline Saintcole7

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 12:37:15 AM »
Bob, thanks, I'll try it try opening up the 08 and amending the magnet, unfortunately on opening up the hst I've managed to dismantle the wires to the lights and my soldering skills (or lack of) are not good enough to correct this, so direction sorted but now the lights are not working, one step forward one back, about sums up my re-entry to the hobby after 30 years! Long road! Thanks for all yo ur help.

Offline Saintcole7

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 12:29:14 PM »
Hi Guys, I'm being a bit stupid here but where is the magnet in the 08 that I need to turn around, anyone know if there's a video online showing how this is done? Thanks.

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2020, 12:32:40 PM »
On the very top of the chassis block - will be dark grey, with a dimple or white dot, unless a very early one (which were silver). Just lift it out (the side pole-pieces can be removed to ease this) and turn it around - it's not screwed or bonded, just sits in the top of the armature holder.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.”Dr. Carl Sagan

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 12:36:19 PM »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Saintcole7

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2020, 02:04:26 PM »
Many many thanks both, my model was slightly different from the pic as it has a covered wire going over the magnet but just enough room to remove and turn it around, cheers guys.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal