!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Humbledon  (Read 7012 times)

Offline Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
Re: Baseboard Surface
« Reply #75 on: February 29, 2020, 10:51:53 PM »
It's all happening!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #76 on: February 29, 2020, 11:51:03 PM »
It's all happening!  :thumbsup:
Lol home renovations is all happening George, but nothing train related at the moment..

My knees are killing me tonight, had a proper pair of knee pads on while doing the floor, but I think the constant up / down & back and forth to the mitre saw hasnít helped.

Anyway probably have a day off Sunday, but sort the first 3 baseboards Monday / Tuesday with feet / leg braces..

Then itíll be tools down until I get the plastering done..

Big game Sunday, Coventry away, hopefully avoid defeat, Iíd be happy with a draw and ecstatic with a win..

Haway the lads..

Cheers Derek
Cheers Derek

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #77 on: February 29, 2020, 11:54:39 PM »
Sunday morning here. Will be looking at that.

Renovations. Just had a new kitchen put in, and it knackered me..... and I wasn't even doing the work!!!  :beers:

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2020, 06:42:29 AM »
It sounds like you've been busy.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2020, 08:22:36 AM »
It sounds like you've been busy.

Hi Laurence,

Havenít stopped for nearly 2 weeks, what with boarding the rafters, religion of electrics, pulling up carpet, knocking off tiles, laying flooring and building 3 baseboards. Am aching in muscles I didnít know I had  ;D

Canít wait to get the plastering done so I can finish the last 2 baseboards. I really need to sit in front of the computer and fire up RailModeller and try to get the draft plan changed / amended to incorporate some of the feedback and also the fact the dimensions of the original plan have changed.

Cheers Derek
Cheers Derek

Online Trainfish

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21524
  • IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • My layout, Longcroft under construction
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2020, 02:02:50 PM »

Big game Sunday, Coventry away, hopefully avoid defeat, Iíd be happy with a draw and ecstatic with a win..

Haway the lads..

Cheers Derek

Oops  :doh:
John

To see my layout "Longcroft" which is currently under construction, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it!

<*))))><

See my Youtube video channel          >>>>>>>> here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<

Offline degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2020, 02:33:20 PM »

Haway the lads..

Cheers Derek

Oops  :doh:

hahaha knew it was gonna be a tough game

cheers Derek
Cheers Derek

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2020, 06:10:33 AM »
Yeah, didn't see the game, but the result is disappointing.  :(

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2020, 06:40:53 AM »
Yeah, didn't see the game, but the result is disappointing.  :(
Not if you come from Coventry :D
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #84 on: March 02, 2020, 06:47:14 AM »
I guess not!!  ;)

Offline degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #85 on: March 02, 2020, 08:21:55 PM »
Hi All,

More work done on the baseboards today, the last 2 table surfaces have been built, and the legs cut to size but not yet fitted. Will wait until the plastering is finished as without the legs they will be easier to move around and store while my mate skims the walls.

The existing baseboards have now got the levelling feet attached and the leg braces fitted, Iíve also levelled these in prep for bolting the boards together a bit later, once again I cannot bolt the last table to the middle one as it needs to be moved to allow access for plastering.

Unfortunately the first day my mate is available is a week Saturday, leave a coupe of days for the plaster to dry so should be able to get the baseboard construction all completed by mid March.

Little bit of prep work still to do for the plastering but that should only take a couple of hours, probably get that done sometime this week.

So I should also turn my attention to getting a track plan down, but every time I look at that I end up with a blank sheet of paper lol

Cheers Derek
Cheers Derek

Offline impinabox

• Awards
« Reply #86 on: March 07, 2020, 09:25:31 PM »
So I should also turn my attention to getting a track plan down, but every time I look at that I end up with a blank sheet of paper lol

My method was to list the features I wanted: two main lines, station with passing loops, tunnels, more than just an oval etc etc and put those together in AnyRail (or whatever - tried SCARM first but preferred AnyRail) and then try to fit them all into the baseboard area.  Every time I thought I'd cracked it Madam Imp would take a look and suggest something else that could be fitted in.  This was not the expected wifely behaviour but I guess it kept me at the design stage for another week or so before I started spending money on track!

Now that you've got the loft sorted I'm looking forward to seeing how the build progresses.  Race ya!   8)
Mike

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing badly.

Current layout project: Halfway - https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=48537.0

Offline impinabox

• Awards
« Reply #87 on: March 08, 2020, 12:03:22 AM »
My method was to list the features I wanted: two main lines, station with passing loops, tunnels, more than just an oval etc etc and put those together in AnyRail (or whatever - tried SCARM first but preferred AnyRail) and then try to fit them all into the baseboard area.

Hmmm... just read the beginners guide thread and found the same advice there.  I must be doing something right for a change!
Mike

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing badly.

Current layout project: Halfway - https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=48537.0

Offline degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #88 on: March 09, 2020, 07:02:24 PM »
Hi All,

Have had a few hours this afternoon trying to get a draft plan put down using RailModeller Pro. Its not a bad application but it doesn't allow curved platforms and lining up flex track across curves is quite difficult. So I've ended up pretty much keeping stations straight (I could maybe curve them when I start the actual build).

Taking on board previous feedback, Ive now got points that allow the up (green) and down (yellow) to get onto the branch / freight (blue) and back again.

Also based on previous feedback I've managed to get the 3 loops and also a terminus branch station, inclines have been completely removed, I'm not sure I could fit any in anyway.

I've tried to get the mainline station towards the front of the layout, but no matter what I try I cannot get it to fit. Same applies for building a half station, that's constrained by the max 32" board width, I couldn't get it into each end without very tight radii on the curves.

I'm aware that the geometry is all over the place in the attached plan, because it's mixed between code 55 & code 80 and the parallel track settings are different, hence the different spacings between the tracks etc, however I'm using it as though it was a pen and paper sketch. I'll probably build it in code 55 & will try to get as many large points as possible but the sidings (pink) may end up with medium / small.

It will be DCC, primarily diesels, won't have huge long trains, probably engine and 5 coaches / equivalent length with frieght

So, what does people think, does it work, is it too busy, how can it be improved further, should I rip it up and start again?

Many thanks in advance for comments / feedback

Cheers Derek

Cheers Derek

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: March 09, 2020, 08:16:29 PM »
Looks OK to me, Derek. My only concern is the the tunnel mouths top right leading into the station as you need to make sure the operating bit of the points i.e. tiebar are accessible. You just know summat will go wrong there :uneasy:  ;)

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal