!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Humbledon  (Read 17000 times)

Offline lil chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
Re: Baseboard Surface
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2020, 04:58:43 PM »
Wow @springwood that AGW controller I have one of those, use it now for the ac output. I used in the 90,s for a layout for the kids.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Offline springwood

• Awards
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2020, 05:26:43 PM »
Yes, it's a great controller. I probably bought it 40-odd years ago! As you can see, I use it for cabs 3 and 4 (power to the track) and have a bridge rectifier wired to the 16v AC on one side to convert to 12v dc which is the supply for my pit and buffer lights. I will doubtless convert the 16v ac on the other side as I still have lots of other lighting to instal yet!

Offline degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2020, 05:44:43 PM »

Yes, I fully agree with Bealman here. All my points (even the ones inches from my hands in the fiddle yard!) are electrified with peco solenoid motors, in conjunction with Heathcote point indicators, a CDU and LEDs on the mimic diagrams so I can see which routes are set - see pics. Robin

Hi Robin,

I like your control panel. I have an H&M duette plus a couple of H&M circuit controllers and an 8 gang switch box from my Hornby layout from 45 years ago. Guessing I’ll be able to use some of that stuff on the new layout.

Cheers Derek
Cheers Derek

Offline degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2020, 05:56:47 PM »
Hi All,

Another quick update, the laminate floor in the loft is now complete and all the timber to make the other baseboards has been marked out ready for cutting then assembly. The baseboards are totally level, surprising how bad the carpets were that were installed, in one section the previous owner had 3 carpets laid on top of one another  :veryangry:

Anyway got a mate calling in tomorrow to look at the party wall which was tiled upto yesterday, to see if it can be dry lined or skimmed to tidy that up.

Once the wall is completed then I can finish the baseboards and get them all bolted together.

I still haven’t done anymore regarding the track plan as yet, will need to spend a bit of time tweaking things to incorporate the feedback so far.

Cheers for now

Derek
Cheers Derek

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2020, 06:25:53 PM »
[I have an H&M duette plus a couple of H&M circuit controllers and an 8 gang switch box from my Hornby layout from 45 years ago.

Keep the H&M on High Resistance and Full Wave settings (don't go near Half-Wave) to get the best control. Even then you could be risking your N gauge locos as the overload cutout is set too high for N, and modern N motors draw so little current that even High Resistance won't be brilliant for slow speed control.

Years ago I kept my H&M cases but ripped out the resistance mats and fitted Gaugemaster 100 panel mount control knobs powered from the H&M transformer.  In this guise they work well as back-up controllers for my layout or as additional controllers for my modular system tracks.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Offline degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2020, 11:16:55 PM »
[I have an H&M duette plus a couple of H&M circuit controllers and an 8 gang switch box from my Hornby layout from 45 years ago.

Keep the H&M on High Resistance and Full Wave settings (don't go near Half-Wave) to get the best control. Even then you could be risking your N gauge locos as the overload cutout is set too high for N, and modern N motors draw so little current that even High Resistance won't be brilliant for slow speed control.

Years ago I kept my H&M cases but ripped out the resistance mats and fitted Gaugemaster 100 panel mount control knobs powered from the H&M transformer.  In this guise they work well as back-up controllers for my layout or as additional controllers for my modular system tracks.
Sounds a bit complicated - maybe just keep them in the storage box, and get something to link into the Z21?

Actually, just realised, I wasn't intending using them for controlling the loco’s as I’m going to be fully DCC - was thinking I could use the output for maybe solenoid point motors if I go down that route, but to be honest I’ll probably opt for cobalts

Cheers Derek
Cheers Derek

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2020, 11:52:47 PM »
Yes, there are plenty of uses for old transformers as power supplies on model railways.... point motors as you say, but also lights, signals, turntables, animated features, etc.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2020, 08:17:22 AM »
Yes, there are plenty of uses for old transformers as power supplies on model railways.... point motors as you say, but also lights, signals, turntables, animated features, etc.

Thanks George,

Will search the forum for information on how to do it. Would be daft to spend a load more money if I can utilise the old stuff

Cheers Derek
Cheers Derek

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2020, 08:23:42 AM »
When I got my first electric railway in 1963, a Triang Brittania Pullman set, there was a Triang P5 power unit with it.

Today, it still powers the handheld throttle and lighting on my layout!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2020, 09:40:49 PM »
Hi all,

So the head of division decided that the laminate flooring in the model railway side of the loft is a great success, and as there is a 10% discount on the materials, should we continue that through into the non-railway side.

Well of course if that’s what you want, no problem I’ll get on that straight away. So today has been spent moving everything stored from the non-railway side into the railway side, manhandling 9 packs of laminate plus the associated fibreboard underlay up a loft ladder. Pulling all of the old carpet up, ripping out the old skirting board and giving the whole area a good old vacuuming to remove dust etc. in prep for starting the laying tomorrow. This time there is a chimney breast to cut round and of course the loft hatch which is situated in the middle of the floor.

My mate also came and looked at both party walls, fortunately he thinks a scratch coat and finish coat of plaster will do the trick to smarten everything up so that will follow once I get the second laminate floor down, the good news is he reckons I won’t have to shorten any of the baseboards as I’d already left an inch clearance from the wall. 

Once all that is done it will be back to finish the baseboard construction and then some time in front of the computer to try and get some design done for the new layout.

Let’s see how the floor laying goes tomorrow..

Need to sort a name for my new layout so I can start a new thread to cover progress, as ‘baseboard surface’ is a bit ambiguous  ;D

Cheers for now...

Derek
Cheers Derek

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: February 29, 2020, 07:43:40 AM »
That all sounds like good news.  You don't necesarily need to start a new thread.  If you change the name of the initial post and post again under the new name, magically, all future posts will have the new name.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #71 on: February 29, 2020, 08:36:06 AM »
That all sounds like good news.  You don't necesarily need to start a new thread.  If you change the name of the initial post and post again under the new name, magically, all future posts will have the new name.

Thanks Laurence - didn’t realise that  :thumbsup:

Cheers Derek
Cheers Derek

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Post your new name here
« Reply #72 on: February 29, 2020, 11:15:09 AM »
It's just a question of overtyping the re: old name when you post.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: February 29, 2020, 08:07:33 PM »
Looking forward to seeing the new name and pictures as the layout develops!
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Offline degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #74 on: February 29, 2020, 09:14:57 PM »
Looking forward to seeing the new name and pictures as the layout develops!

Thanks DarrwestLU6,

The non-train section of the loft floor is now covered in the same laminate flooring as the train side, absolutely knackered at the minute, as this side has the loft hatch and chimney breast so a bit of extra cutting required.
Anyway, it was a full 8 hour job, but it’s all completed and the main thing, is the clerk of works has given it the thumbs up.
So after a good vacuum and then a damp dust all of the stuff we’d moved into the train side is now back in its normal place.

Need to get my mate to skim both party walls when he’s free, but I think I’ll fit the stationroad baseboards levelling feet and get the boards pre drilled for the locking bolts - that can be done early next week, need a day off tomorrow lol.

Anyway will update more progress in due course..

Cheers Derek
Cheers Derek

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal