!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Humbledon  (Read 7032 times)

Offline degsy_safc

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Humbledon
« Reply #360 on: May 23, 2020, 05:42:56 PM »
Hi @jpendle John & @Nbodger Mike,

Firstly thanks for the replies - im sure I'll have a lot more questions in due course..

However I forgot to edit the sidings image to ask a couple of questions from the start, so here it is with a bit of colouration on it lol..

As you can see I have what is essentially a run around loop (the red / green markings) leading into the station at what would be platform 5 with 2 dead end sidings off the green road.

I didn't intend to use these tracks for passenger traffic originally, but rather for freight / parcels, So I envisaged a train carrying some form of goods pulling into the loop and uncoupling. Then a shunter to take the wagons and put them in the sidings or left in the loop (if that was built to be some kind of goods / parcels area). The original freight engine could move away and park at Plat 5 or even in one of the holding roads at other parts on the layout. To pick up the wagons its a simple matter of driving back into the loop and the shunter moving them back on either the original loco or a different one.

However what I meant to ask when I posted the pics earlier, was whether you would cut out the red bit of track and put an engine shed on the bit of track that is left uncoloured to the right of the red section. This could hold the shunter to do its thing when a goods train entered the green section, by reversing via the point on the RHS. By doing this it would clear a bit of space above the green section and also get rid of the point where the red and green meet at plat 5 in the station, meaning one less cobalt.

I'm probably a good way off with scenics as there is no sign of the cobalts as yet and I need to get the control panel build and the cobalts installed once they arrive, then some significant playing / testing.

On top of that Ive hardly got any stock at all, 2 loco's (CL37 & CL20) and a CL156 DMU, 2 green & cream highlander coaches and about 15 wagons  :-[ So I really need to spend some money and get at least 2 more loco's plus some coaches / wagons, so that will divert the funds for a while which will halt the scenics I guess. Although I could use the Metcalfe card platforms and get some of those into position as they are pretty cheap.

So back to the main question - keep the red section or pull it up and stick and engine shed in place and leave the gap to put in some scenics?

Many thanks in advance..

Cheers Derek

Cheers Derek

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #361 on: May 23, 2020, 09:06:59 PM »
As you don't have any steam loco's, yet, I think that an engine shed would be superfluous.

I think that shunters would be serviced and fueled at a depot and then driven to your sidings where they could probably work for days or even a couple of weeks with an occasional fuel top up from a road tanker, irony eh!

If you are going to stick with diesels than a run round loop makes a lot more sense, if you get bang up to date then there probably wouldn't even be a shunting loco present.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Online Nbodger

• N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
« Reply #362 on: May 23, 2020, 09:26:30 PM »
Hi Derek

I think I have got my head around your layout, I agree a parcels platform plus building / warehouse of sorts would fit the two Sidings area, however your intention to operate is to draw into the loop, remove engine, shutter collects vans etc reverses and pushes wagons into parcels platform. Question is what length trains do you envisage, have you got enough head shunt to service the parcels area without crossing the point at right hand end of the loop and onto mainline. I appreciate you can always split them down into smaller lengths, I just think you need enough length to not impede running on the mainline, so you can shunt in its own confined area.

You could put an engine shed where you suggest but not a single line, you would have to develop the track work more ie more expense, you can always assume any motive power facilities are off scene. I would not remove the loop, although you could have brought the two lines closer together instead of the wasted space between. I think removing it will take away the separate functionality of the parcels area as an independent section.

I have probably rambled on a bit and not made any sense, so hope you can understand my ramblings

Stay safe

Mike H 8)

Offline degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #363 on: May 23, 2020, 11:17:14 PM »
Hi John / Mike,
Very interesting - you have both said a very similar thing. Keep the run round loop.

Splitting the wagons down was the idea, rather than pulling the full rake and just pushing it into the siding. Anyway I donít have enough stock for extra long trains, and I think Iíd rather operate with smaller rakes.

I could lift the red section and move it closer to the green section, but I deliberately left the gap because I thought it would be a good idea to try to put a parcels platform in the middle, maybe not?

Regarding steam locoís - the original plan was diesels only, but seeing other posts, I might just grab one or two for fun lol. But I think Iíd rather stick to the more modern era in general terms ..

So tomorrow, Iíll go back upstairs and look to see If itís worth bringing the passing loops closer together, if I do, then maybe I could add an extra siding. Iíll forget about the shunter and just allow the diesel loco pulling the train to do the shunting. The wagons would still need to be broken down as the headshunt is not too long and there isnít really any space to increase it.

Thanks again

Cheers Derek

Cheers Derek

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #364 on: Yesterday at 09:42:34 AM »
Not sure an island platform for goods traffic is prototypical as access for handling/road vehicles is severely limited. My (very limited) recall of goods access is either via a bay or as part of a longer platform with road access immediately outside if no dedicated goods depot is available.

Offline degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #365 on: Yesterday at 10:31:06 AM »
Not sure an island platform for goods traffic is prototypical as access for handling/road vehicles is severely limited. My (very limited) recall of goods access is either via a bay or as part of a longer platform with road access immediately outside if no dedicated goods depot is available.
Thanks Mick,

I need to get back upstairs and have another look. I feel that I should do something to create a bit more space, even if it is bringing the passing loop closer together. Still not sure what to do sitting here looking at that last picture, perhaps I should just sit in the loft and stare at the board until a lightbulb moment happens lol..

Cheers Derek

Cheers Derek

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #366 on: Yesterday at 10:40:47 AM »
Derek

My thoughts were that the two Sidings at the front were to be a parcels depot or similar, didnít realise until your later post that you were looking at a island situation.

I agree with Mick that would not work due to access problems

Despite our sporting differences I will still communicate with you  :veryangry: by the way I was a little drunk on the way home by train that day

Stay safe

Mike H  8)

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #367 on: Yesterday at 10:48:25 AM »
I would have separate space for loco facilities , goods and incorporate parcels in a separate bay at the station

Offline degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #368 on: Yesterday at 12:47:55 PM »
My thoughts were that the two Sidings at the front were to be a parcels depot or similar, didnít realise until your later post that you were looking at a island situation.

I agree with Mick that would not work due to access problems

Thanks Mike,

Yes I realise that now, I havenít been back upstairs yet For another look, but Iím not sure about the passing loop, I may pull one of the tracks out, to leave a bit more space.

Despite our sporting differences I will still communicate with you  :veryangry: by the way I was a little drunk on the way home by train that day

Haha, last major trophy any of the north east teams have won, its ridiculous really. Funny how successful teams from yesteryear are nobodies now. Thinking of teams like Burnley, Huddersfield, Leeds, Sheff Wed / Utd, Preston, Sunderland, etc etc, etc.
OíLeary  buggered it up for Leeds by trying to buy success, nearly bankrupted the club and they have wallowed ever since. I do feel they would have got up this year though - they deserve to be back in the prem, a proper club👍

Take it easy mate

Cheers Derek
Cheers Derek

Offline degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #369 on: Yesterday at 12:51:09 PM »
I would have separate space for loco facilities , goods and incorporate parcels in a separate bay at the station
Thanks Chris,
I did think about that, but I donít think there is sufficient space for a bay at the station, I could cobble something up in the sidings area to be honest, just need to decide whether to lift on bit of track to create a bigger gap to plonk in some scenery.

Cheers Derek
Cheers Derek

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #370 on: Yesterday at 12:57:45 PM »
How about just a lor of brute trolleys and red star parcels office adapted   .... https://railsofsheffield.com/products/27921/scenecraft-42-191-n-gauge-red-star-parcels-office        like this .... derek many small to medium stations did not have room for a bay. Just a thought

Online impinabox

• Awards
« Reply #371 on: Yesterday at 01:17:48 PM »
Is the station leg of the layout to be scenically connected to the other leg?  Or will there be some sort of break like a road bridge over the tracks with the road disappearing off into the corner at a high level?

You originally asked about scenery so I've not given any thought to the track functionality - you seem to have plenty of suggestions for that anyway! 

If you have a tunnel to the left of the station and want to hide all of the rear track then I could imagine a town behind the station - presumably a back-scene where your blue line is maybe with low relief buildings against it and roof tops on the 'lid' behind.  Or you could have the station itself being at a low level with the blue line being part retaining wall (directly behind the station) and part just rising round at either end.  Plenty of scope for roads from the town and space behind the station for car parking, buses, road freight etc.

Personally I'd be disappointed at not being able to see anything of the trains along the whole of the back of the station leg and worried about having points and sidings in unseen sections of track.

Mike

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing badly.

Current layout project: Halfway - https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=48537.0

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #372 on: Yesterday at 03:19:56 PM »
Derek

Having just destroyed the only piece of sheet I had for my new control panel, I thought I would take it out on you by adding more confusion.

An idea to solve your dilemma, hope the statements make sense

1) Have the two track siding at the front as a parcels / goods etc, one platform plus building and one spare line, the building and platform at the front of the layout.

2)  Keep the loop lines, but bring the back one towards the front one, say normal track spacing. If you remove one you will loose functionality of being able to use the line into the station, whilst you have a train waiting to be split and taken to the parcels, goods areas.

3) Build a series of bridge or viaduct type structure to provide a higher road,at a slight angle left to right across the layout, to go over taking all tracks and crossing to the right of the pair of points for the Sidings.

4) Provide a ramp down into the area between main line and loop lines, this provides vehicular access from the higher level. This gives a large area to develop, say maintenance yard, scrap merchants etc with some small buildings, Portakabin, repair workshop, vans and a load of junk. Other industrial ideas could co there say ready mix concrete plant.

5) between the points and the front of the board reduce the height of the road down towards the front of the layout, near the fron provide access road to the parcels / goods area.

I suggest you forget about the stock you have now, but think what you would like in the future and do not compromise on the layout now due to your limited stock, in the long run you may come to regret it.

If you follow it all, think it over

Stay safe

Mike H  8)

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #373 on: Yesterday at 03:24:46 PM »
Could not have said this any better. Seconded

Offline degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #374 on: Yesterday at 06:53:57 PM »
Is the station leg of the layout to be scenically connected to the other leg?  Or will there be some sort of break like a road bridge over the tracks with the road disappearing off into the corner at a high level?

I think it would have to be as there isnít much clearance where the 2 legs meet. There is also 7 lines of track curving towards the station platform, so not sure a bridge would fit, it may end up as concrete or grass just not sure.

If you have a tunnel to the left of the station and want to hide all of the rear track then I could imagine a town behind the station -  Or you could have the station itself being at a low level with the blue line being part retaining wall (directly behind the station) and part just rising round at either end.  Plenty of scope for roads from the town and space behind the station for car parking, buses, road freight etc.

That was my original thinking exactly as you have described it. Tunnel on left, retaining wall behind station and town scene on the lid of the tunnel - plenty scope to bring road into and out of the station. That could cover the full leg of the station from left to right.

Personally I'd be disappointed at not being able to see anything of the trains along the whole of the back of the station leg and worried about having points and sidings in unseen sections of track.

Yes I understand where you are coming from, but I have 2 dead end sidings in that section, the idea was to take branch trains out of platform 1 or 2 and park them there as though they had gone somewhere, they could then be brought back in at platform 2 or 1 making it look like it went away and has come back, hence why I wanted to hide that section.

Going further around that leg there is a 90 degree bend which is unnatural so that needs hiding, which means the full length at the back of the station in reality has to be hidden.

I think the difficult bit is the front corner where the 2 legs of the L join. There isnít much clearance or space to get scenery placed. Whatever ends up at that point needs to blend into the parcels or goods area that is on the non-station leg. Need to try and envisage the suggestions of road bridges and how / if they could fit in.

Many thanks Derek
Cheers Derek

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal