!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Sandley and Dudwell 2015 London Midland  (Read 537 times)

Offline joe cassidy

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Sandley and Dudwell 2015 London Midland
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2020, 11:56:26 AM »
In my opinion you have too much fiddle yard and not enough scenic.

Best regards,

Joe

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2020, 12:22:51 PM »
Normally I would have suggested removal of the reverse curves into the fiddle yards e.g. at the LHS have the RH point followed by a LH point and then all LH points as this would give better running and longer sidings. However, I think you may have done it as the diagram to avoid a point over a baseboard join. Dependent on your baseboard construction you might still find it tricky to use an under board point motor owing to the board framing :hmmm:

Its something i have considered but worst case scenario is i will mount them topside as they will be hidden. Once ive got the boards done i will lay the outside loops and do some testing to see if there are any issues although i'm hoping by using setrack in the hidden section i hope there shouldn't be do many issues. We shall see......

Sorry to persist, but if you intend set track points in the hidden section that, I think, will make those reverse curves even worse

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2020, 12:24:05 PM »
I would if had the space aimed at the station, townscape and industrial units / scenery and two lines leading with a scenic break at each end to a fiddle yard otherwise more than 2 operators will be required. Would agree with newportnobby on that one and also a lift out section for ease to aide derailment  track cleaning plus a scenic break is a design I would think to do
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 12:26:13 PM by crewearpley40 »

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2020, 12:26:15 PM »
Upon revisiting it the thing that strikes me is that all of your fiddle yard roads will hold trains that are disproportionately long for the layout. Seems an inefficient use of space. If you have that much space I don't get having so much 'off stage', and forcing in really tight curves on the scenic section. It's also only a single track loop in the end.

What are the space constraints that have led you down that route? Do you have that whole room, or must it only occupy the edges? Can you make it a square the full size of the room?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 12:27:34 PM by njee20 »

Offline B757-236GT

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24585
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2020, 01:14:43 PM »
In my opinion you have too much fiddle yard and not enough scenic.

Best regards,
Joe

The two fiddle yards at 90 degrees are only for shows where i thought it would be better to have too much than too little to minimise stock handling.

Upon revisiting it the thing that strikes me is that all of your fiddle yard roads will hold trains that are disproportionately long for the layout. Seems an inefficient use of space. If you have that much space I don't get having so much 'off stage', and forcing in really tight curves on the scenic section. It's also only a single track loop in the end.

What are the space constraints that have led you down that route? Do you have that whole room, or must it only occupy the edges? Can you make it a square the full size of the room?

I only really have a space 7x2 as it has to fit into a pre-planned space. If i had the space i would extend it but i think id be a dead man walking if i did that with the authorities!

I will go back and adjust the plan a little i think. Take some of the comments on board and see if i can make it more workable.

Richard
You want the truth, you cant handle the truth. Welcome to the Fox news channel. (Andy Parsons)

Offline B757-236GT

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2020, 09:17:43 PM »
The other plan that i was working was this which is a cornish terminus again set in 2015. Now for this the imreys JIAs would be required. This would go down two walls and to be honest it was a hard toss up between this an Sandley. The name is not confirmed. Maybe if the first plan doesnt work i will need to bail and do this instead.

Richard
You want the truth, you cant handle the truth. Welcome to the Fox news channel. (Andy Parsons)

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2020, 09:42:39 PM »
I'm only impressed with the station area  . How about a traverse instead of a fiddle yard ?

Online njee20

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2020, 09:52:17 PM »
Certainly a very different style of layout - ultimately it depends if you want roundy-roundy or not.

Iíve been looking at lots of photos of the JIAs FWIW, need a really good end on picture, and preferably some dimensions. Information is pretty scant annoyingly!

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2020, 09:55:11 PM »
Nick. Gingespotting thread if google jia wagons

Online njee20

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2020, 10:07:57 PM »
Yes checked Andyís pages, and all the other obvious sites. Most photos tend to be a 3/4 view, not a really good side on or end on, which is what you want for a CAD file.  But anyway, letís keep to Richardís layout thread.

The new one still feels a bit disproportionate. The platform length is 90% of the scenic area. Thereís very little operation, the front half will be in the fiddle yard before the back has left the platform.

What do you actually want from a layout? To exhibit, or for home use? If you only have 7x2 why have 6í long fiddle yard roads? It feels unbalanced.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2020, 10:12:38 PM »
Richard. How many coaches / wagons do you intend to run per train ? Is it an urban scene / industrial?

Offline B757-236GT

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2020, 10:01:08 PM »
Ive readjusted the plan using parts of something else. Ive widened the boards by 6 inches which is as far as i can go and turned it in to two individual circuits. This might make it a little easier to manage.

Thoughts....

Richard

Online njee20

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2020, 11:04:06 PM »
That looks better to me.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2020, 11:07:12 PM »
More manageable
 Still are you allowing for scenics?

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2020, 06:40:15 AM »
Just an obvservation.  The original plan allowed you to run Pendolinos and EMUs back and forth through the station.  With this one, they are limited to round and round.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50%