!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: HUNT COUPLINGS.  (Read 2267 times)

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
Re: HUNT COUPLINGS.
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2020, 01:55:21 PM »
They're definitely improving. The first ones, which used the same magents as the OO gauge ones were pretty hideous, but the later ones are definitely neater. I can see the appeal I must say, and continue to be tempted to try them. The ability to simply push together to couple is definitely good. I like the Dapol dummy knuckle couplers, which look good (I've got them on a couple of 350s too), but quite honestly are a swine to couple regularly, basically necessesating lifting one of the items onto the other one.

Online Richard Taylor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28532
  • 2mm Association Number: 3510
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2020, 05:06:00 PM »

Glad someone else has made this comparison!  Is it just me, but I think these things (Hunt couplers, and their imitators, not the Brio ones!) look even uglier and more toy-like than Rapidos.  And they are single-ended (toy-like again) and don't even close-couple.

Richard

Not sure I quite agree with that. Some applications are better than others. The most recent version which is for double-ended operation with a  square magnet is quite obtrusive but not more so than a Rapido, IMO. The single ended ones do work well within say a Class 350 multiple unit and provide very close coupling with the gangways almost in contact on the straight. Much easier to couple up than short Rapidos which have a tendency to contact the lower edge of the gangways in such a formation.

OK, perhaps I'm being too harsh - I'll keep an eye on developments and see if they grow on me!

Richard

Offline Steven B

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12107
  • 2mm Association Number: 4196
    • NGS Yorkshire Area Group
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2020, 09:30:28 AM »
I've recently bought a set of the newer Elite couplings from Hunt/West Hill Wagon works for my Dapol HST and I'm very pleased with them.

Does anyone know what lengths are included in the HST pack? I'd like to fit them to my loco-hauled Dapol Mk3s but need more than what's included in the dedicated HST pack. I think it's the close & intermediate versions but want to be sure before ordering a pack of twenty.

Has anyone managed to get the Elite couplings to fit a Farish Mk1? I'm thinking of using them within my fixed rakes but when I tried they wouldn't fit the Farish NEM sockets.

Finally, has anyone tried painting them? As supplied they're semi-transparent black. I'd like to paint them black and then leave them fitted when I weather the train so they end up blending into the underframe gubbins.

Steven B.

Offline koyli55002

• N Gauge Society Number: 5508
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2020, 04:46:38 PM »
As far as I know, the power cars need a slightly longer coupling, whereas the close couplings work fine for the Mk. 3 coaches. I think the slightly longer length may be due to the NEM pockets being on the bogies of the power car ?

Offline Steven B

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12107
  • 2mm Association Number: 4196
    • NGS Yorkshire Area Group
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2020, 07:54:40 AM »
Thanks. I have the HST pack so know they supply longer ones for the power cars.

What I don't know is if the Elite HST pack contains short+intermediate or intermediate+long. I suspect the former, but my measuring was inconclusive and West Hill have yet to reply to my email.

Steven B

Offline koyli55002

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2020, 08:43:49 AM »
Yes...rather strange that, if buying a HST pack in the original format, the option is there to add the power car couplings, but not yet in the Elite pack.

Online mickd247

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2020, 09:22:58 AM »
In the Elite HST set offered the two power car couplers are included, they state that these are longer for clearance of the corridor connector. 

I have a set on order and will try to measure when I get them.  I think looking at the costs that if they are ok I will order one of the starter packs to do some trials.

No connection blah blah blah.

HTH   :beers:

Mick

Offline koyli55002

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2020, 09:29:07 AM »
That will teach me to scroll down the page before commenting !
Muchos gracias

Offline N_GaugeModeller

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2020, 10:17:30 AM »
Hi

Given that there is a slight size difference between Farish standard NEM couplings and most if not all including Farish short couplings anyone had issues fitting hunt couplings to Farish models ?

What's the size difference I hear you say.

The two little retaining stubs that stick out each side and retain the coupling in its pocket are smaller in diameter on the standard Farish coupling, compared to most other makers including Dapol etc, they are also smaller than on the Farish short coupling were they are the same size as the other makers.

This makes Farish standard couplers a loose fit in non Farah stock and if you force non Farish couplers into the pocket, it no longer takes standard Farish couplings as the retainer is now stretched to fit the larger retaining stubs.

Anyone noticed this

NGM
There may be spelling and grammatical errors in my posts, I am Dyslexic so just think yourself lucky you can actually read what I have written.

I am also in the early stages of Alzheimer's and Vascular dementia so sometimes struggle with basic communication.

You don't need to point out my errors.  Thanks

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal