!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: HUNT COUPLINGS.  (Read 1017 times)

Offline tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: HUNT COUPLINGS.
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2020, 09:19:27 AM »

I tried some of the ‘Short Spring’ versions over on my layout thread and was disappointed to find they didn’t fit the modern type of Farish non-NEM sprung coupler socket.  The type found on 16 ton minerals, box vans, BR standard brake vans, etc.  The design seems to be aimed at the older Poole era twist-fit version which is also what you’ll find on Kato Japanese freight stock.

I didn’t think I had any Poole era Farish but overnight I remembered I have a rake of ‘Tall Tanks’ packed away and so dug them out this morning.  Fitting the Hunts to these is quick and easy (once you’ve got the twist-while-holding-onto-the-spring action sussed) and they couple very firmly indeed.

I’m extremely pleased with how these work and run in this fixed rake of 10 tanks, but the coupling distance is not significantly closer than the Rapidos they replace.  For freight stock at least, there’s definitely a need for an extra close version or two, I’m presuming the range so far is made more with coaching stock in mind.

Come pay day I shall be ordering some of the NEM versions.  I’m completely sold on magnetics for rakes and, as most of my stock isn’t shunted, will be going down this route as long as a little more variety in the range permits it :thumbsup:

And I’d love to see a version to fit the Blue Pullman and other non-buffered MU stock.

EDIT: These are relatively fragile and the twist action needed to fit them puts a stress on them.  Having swapped these around between various items of stock I've now broken 25% of them.  Probably not an issue if you just fit them once and leave them to do their job, but take care.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 10:20:56 AM by tutenkhamunsleeping, Reason: Additional info »

Offline mickd247

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2020, 10:09:28 AM »
Steve @tutenkhamunsleeping

Thanks for your comments and the pictures, could you clarify are the Hunt couplers shown in your pictures standard length or close length? Also could you provide the dimensions?

:beers:

Mick

Offline tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2020, 10:18:00 AM »
Steve @tutenkhamunsleeping

Thanks for your comments and the pictures, could you clarify are the Hunt couplers shown in your pictures standard length or close length? Also could you provide the dimensions?

Mick

These are the 'close' ones, I have nothing worth fitting the standard ones to so they're still in the pack.

Within the limitations of the ageing human eye and a ruler, the critical dimension is approx 6mm over the length of the stalk and magnet. In other words, ignoring the T piece that goes in the coupling box.

Standard ones seem to be 8mm and a bit.

Offline koyli55002

• N Gauge Society Number: 5508
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2020, 09:08:45 PM »
I tried fitting the "spring close" Hunt couplings to some Farish MGR's tonight and was rather disappointed. Although they DO bring the spacing between buffers down by 1.5mm, they were a VERY tight fit within the coupling box....so tight as to make it pretty much a rigid bar coupling between the two wagons. The wagons, as a consequence, derailed on a 15" radius curve. I think the previous poster who thought they were designed for the older spring coupling boxes was bang on target.
I did, however, like the idea of having the magnets coloured differently - although they do rather glare at the end of a rake.
Mindst you, abiout twelve months ago, I close coupled both my HST rakes with home made magnetic couplings ....... :censored:

Online Phoenix

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2020, 09:41:14 PM »
Hi all,

one of the youtube channels I watch is "Simon's Shed" and he has just posted a review of the NEM close coupled version, and has them on a rake of 7 coaches.

Here is his review ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIMH43PFcqY

Hope this is useful

All best wishes

Kevin

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP