!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Modern buses in N  (Read 382 times)

Offline woodbury22uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Modern buses in N
« on: February 14, 2020, 04:20:33 PM »
N scale is not so popular for modern UK buses and coaches but I have just received two models which are relevant to the London travel scene over the past 15 years or so.
Lemke MiNis have released the left hand drive Setra S431 DT double deck coach in a wide range of liveries. I chose the SNCF Ouibus livery (Ref LC4472) which is registered DV 173 BF and was pictured on the Paris-London route in 2016. Photo available on Flickr showing the same coach at the corner of Grosvenor Gardens.

https://farm8.static.flickr.com/7077/26874850415_f51aa8d906_b.jpg

The model is wholly plastic in 1/160 scale, with a high quality application of the colourful Ouibus livery, which has now been superseded by the Bla-Bla Bus brand. Although fitted with a detailed interior on each deck the tinted glazing does not allow it to be seen clearly. The right hand side destination shows “Paris”.

The second item is a right hand drive Mercedes Benz Citaro-G articulated bus in 1/150 scale in a basically red Japanese livery for the Seiryu Liner service which operates from Gifu railway station. This would lend itself to easy adaptation to the liveries used on this type when in London service in the 2000s. Manufactured by Tomytec as part of their Bus Collection (Ref. 303169) , it has a detailed interior on both sections and a solid plastic bellows as part of the front unit which allows the rear unit to pivot around it.

As a bonus the Citaro can be motorised using a chassis from the Tomytec Moving Bus sets - B-L1 and B-L2. The motorised chassis offers two speeds - a scale 20mph or 30mph, front and rear lighting, illuminated destination display, and operating brake lights actuated by under road magnets which slow the bus for bus stops. The bus slows, pulls into a bus stop and pauses for about 8 seconds before restarting gently and accelerating away. The bus stop is part of the B-L1 and B-L2 sets.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 05:03:25 PM by woodbury22uk, Reason: Spelling »
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
Re: Modern buses in N
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 05:01:36 PM »
They look excellent I must say. Working buses... mmmm...  :hmmm:

Offline mr bachmann

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 05:08:22 PM »

dont fall into the same trap as my self , bought a set did'nt  use it for around 2 years , them came time to try/use - the battery had died being Lipo type it would not charge from flat/empty ,
the chassis with button cell battery is a better option .

Offline woodbury22uk

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 07:03:28 PM »

dont fall into the same trap as my self , bought a set did'nt  use it for around 2 years , them came time to try/use - the battery had died being Lipo type it would not charge from flat/empty ,
the chassis with button cell battery is a better option .

I have revived a dead Li-po on one of my chassis by disconnecting it, and giving it a few pulses of 5.5volts from  a USB charger cable. Bare the ends of the cable and apply the + voltage to the red cable, and negative to the black cable. At least replacement batteries are easy get from online sellers, even if a bit fiddly to fit.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Offline mr bachmann

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 09:28:20 PM »
[qoute woodbury22uk] I have revived a dead Li-po on one of my chassis by disconnecting it, and giving it a few pulses of 5.5volts from  a USB charger cable. Bare the ends of the cable and apply the + voltage to the red cable, and negative to the black cable. At least replacement batteries are easy get from online sellers, even if a bit fiddly to fit.
[/quote]

I tried that some months ago with out success - how posible would it be to adopt button cell to the same chassis ?
thanks

Offline woodbury22uk

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 01:40:12 AM »
[qoute woodbury22uk] I have revived a dead Li-po on one of my chassis by disconnecting it, and giving it a few pulses of 5.5volts from  a USB charger cable. Bare the ends of the cable and apply the + voltage to the red cable, and negative to the black cable. At least replacement batteries are easy get from online sellers, even if a bit fiddly to fit.

I tried that some months ago with out success - how posible would it be to adopt button cell to the same chassis ?
thanks
[/quote]

If you could get enough cells into the space used by the Li-Po to get the same voltage, then it should work. You would probably need at least three button cells to get the voltage so they would need to be small and probably therefore low power and with a short life. I would just replace the Li-Po with a fresh one, and recharge regularly.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
August Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal