!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cork sheet?  (Read 204 times)

Offline karlbown

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28920
    • Awards
Cork sheet?
« on: February 14, 2020, 10:18:20 AM »
Further to my Preparing the Surface topic, I've noticed a lot of mention, on here and generally, of people using cork sheet. Is this something you lay over the entire board, or just under the track itself?

And what are the benefits of it? Why is it better than just laying track straight on the baseboard?

Assume I know nothing and you'll probably be correct!

TIA

Karl

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
Re: Cork sheet?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 10:58:21 AM »
In my opinion covering the whole board with it is a complete waste. You really don't need it under the rest of the scenery etc.  I just use 1" strips under the track, plus underneath any buildings/platforms which need to be set level with the base of the track.

Why do I use it?  Mainly because I want to represent a shoulder to the ballast and because I find it makes a better surface for gluing the track (I don't use pins). I don't use it for any sound deadening purposes.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 11:07:03 AM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline DCCDave

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Google+
    • MySpace
    • PhotoBucket
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 11:04:15 AM »
Karl,

Some lay it everywhere, some just under the track (to keep costs down).

I have cork over the full board on my fiddle yard boards, just under the track on scenic section. Be aware though that station platforms and similar should also have cork underneath so they are the correct height relative to the track.

There are a couple of advantages, cork is sound deadening and also evens out any small bumps and lumps in your baseboard surface.

Not you can make the noise worse by securing the cork using PVA, this sets hard and connects the cork, and hence the track on top, directory to the baseboard which can increase drumming. I used Copydex to glue the cork to the baseboard, and then to glue the track to the cork which avoids this problem.

Picture shows transition from fiddle yard to scenic boards:

Cheers
Dave

« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 11:05:35 AM by DCCDave »

Offline karlbown

• N Gauge Society Number: 28920
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 09:18:35 AM »
Thanks guys, looks like I better get some cork then! 2mm a good thickness to get?

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 09:27:04 AM »
If that's what you can get hold of easily then use that.  I tend to use thinner stuff for sidings etc.  I buy it as sheet and cut it into strips.  Shop around as it can be cheaper from non-model railway sources. The last sheet I bought from ebay was from a fridge magnet craft shop.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 10:27:18 AM »
Yes, cork underlay just under the track allows you to have a realistic ballast shoulder.

However, as soon as you add that ballast, all sound deadening qualities are completely negated.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline MarshLane

• 2mm Association Number: 5440
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 02:02:56 PM »
I used cork tiles from Wickes when I did my last 7mm layout, but totally agree with some of the earlier comments - its unnecessary and purely personal choice.  If you fix the track down to the cork, and consequently the cork to the board, the noise transfers through and can become louder. 

So, if your looking to reduce noise, then using screws or pins to hold the track in place, or gluing the track to the cork and gluing the cork to board for example, just renders it a fruitless exercise. 

However, if you want to use it to improve the look as a ballast shoulder, then yes it works well - especially if you chamfer the edges with some sandpaper.  I did try using a craft knife once (not recommended) but not only did I nearly take my finger off, but also ended up with a very 'wonky' edge!  Sanding is definitely better!

Rich

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal