!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: A 6 x 3 port layout derived from a Cyril Freezer plan  (Read 938 times)

Online DCCDave

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Google+
    • MySpace
    • PhotoBucket
    • Twitter
Re: A 6 x 3 port layout derived from a Cyril Freezer plan
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2020, 01:45:55 PM »

If you moved point B to just where the lines diverge to form the loop would not that give you a gentler gradient?
Cheers
Dave

Offline Eggmarine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27026
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2020, 02:59:53 PM »
@DCCDave you're right i could ease that gradient, and average it out. I need to address the height of the quay too as at the moment it's huge, i'm considering making a mock up to help visiualise things.

Offline AlexanderJesse

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2020, 03:39:09 PM »
As for the trainstore in the underground.
http://www.moba-trickkiste.de/wie-macht-man-planen/datenbank-gleisplaene.html?id=269&task=view&total=270&start=6

Could a similar layout help you to get longer and therefor more storage and a gentler gradient?
=================
have a disney day
vapour is just water and therefor clean

Offline Eggmarine

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2020, 04:51:32 PM »
http://www.moba-trickkiste.de/wie-macht-man-planen/datenbank-gleisplaene.html?id=269&task=view&total=270&start=6

Could a similar layout help you to get longer and therefor more storage and a gentler gradient?

That's interesting Alexander, an early version of my plan had storage on the loop as you suggest but i abandoned it due to access issues.

Offline AlexanderJesse

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2020, 07:36:22 PM »

That's interesting Alexander, an early version of my plan had storage on the loop as you suggest but i abandoned it due to access issues.

Maybe you could combine it with a helix to go "down" more to get a better accessability?
=================
have a disney day
vapour is just water and therefor clean

Offline GrahamB

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2020, 08:04:09 AM »
My exhibition layout Southwark Bridge (Link at the bottom of this post) is  "Minories extended."

The length is dictated by the platform length. In my case I wanted room for a diesel, four mark 1's and another diesel. The diesels being Southern Region so 33's and 73's which are short when compared to a 66 or a tender steam loco. The length of the layout is seven feet six inches and uses Peco code 55 small radius points.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2020, 08:11:13 AM »
Well worth a look, Eggmarine!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Eggmarine

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2020, 08:19:52 AM »

@GrahamB wonderful layout Graham, i lived and worked in Lambeth for seven years and you've hit the nail on the head as far as evoking a place is concerned. Watching it actually makes me feel like visiting the Smoke again.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2020, 08:23:18 AM »
Graham. It's one fine layout capturing a part of london. See you soon. Chris

Offline GrahamB

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2020, 08:27:38 AM »
Thank you. I'm a Bermondsey Boy and go back as often as I can. Pie and Mash anyone? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lIbXk6TwRo

@GrahamB wonderful layout Graham, i lived and worked in Lambeth for seven years and you've hit the nail on the head as far as evoking a place is concerned. Watching it actually makes me feel like visiting the Smoke again.

Online DCCDave

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Google+
    • MySpace
    • PhotoBucket
    • Twitter
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2020, 10:19:44 AM »
My exhibition layout Southwark Bridge (Link at the bottom of this post) is  "Minories extended."

Hi Graham,

I don't see the link. Is your sig working?

Cheers
Dave

Offline GrahamB

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2020, 10:59:50 AM »

Hi Graham,

I don't see the link. Is your sig working?

Cheers
Dave

My signature seems to be working fine (Well, I can see it). I've copied it here;
Tonbridge MRC Member.
Pics of Southbridge are at http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=3092;u=298
Pics of Southwark Bridge can be found at http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.msg463185#msg463185

Offline Eggmarine

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2020, 05:49:08 PM »
Thanks for your collective feedback, after deliberating it looks like this is too much to fit in the current footprint. Sticking to the size means it can inhabit my current layout space to compromising the other way means reducing the layout which would make it the 'next layout. The port aspect gives a lot of operating potential but it clashes with the need for gradients and clearances.

I think i'll rework the plan to have a goods facility instead of a port and perhaps in future revisit the Minories + Port idea as an L shaped terminus to fiddle yard.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 05:50:56 PM by Eggmarine »

Offline Jayk

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2020, 11:45:25 PM »
   I guess it depends on how committed you are to the individual elements. I can see a way forwards if you really like the overall theme. It again borrows from CJF design processes, the one I'm thinking of is that the track formation is folded back on itself from prototype in order to fit the space. So the station, bridge, docks would all normally be in a straight line (give or take).

The only issue, really, to solve is where the track exits below the dock entrance. If you model it with a high waterline then you don't need much depth below the baseboard, especially if you go with some nice murky water. You could almost paint and single coat varnish or that other method with the toilet tissue / kitchen towel soaked in diluted PVA. This eliminates the need for much of the height you would need to drop.

It would then be possible to exit the track under a building such as a warehouse which you can front onto the dock entrance. With a reasonable building width there should be enough visual distinction between those parts of the layout from the various viewing angles.

Regards,
   -Jayk.

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal