!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cala Cuina (a small Southern European layout)  (Read 1170 times)

Online weave

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Cala Cuina (a small Southern European layout)
« on: February 09, 2020, 01:37:06 PM »
Hi all,

Some of you will know that I put up a test track next to the computer on the breakfast bar in the kitchen over Christmas which was great fun running trains without having to disappear upstairs to the train room.

Having some Portuguese rolling stock and Arnold promising some long, long awaited proper Italian locomotives from the '80s and '90s towards the end of the year I thought I'd construct a small beach based layout to accommodate them all.

For the moment it'll be set in my fictional principality of Izaro with French SNCF and Spanish RENFE trains running on a dual gauge track. I wont make it dual gauge, far too complicated, so just in my imagination and also it would muck up the future Italian idea.

The layout is 3'3" x 2' (1m x 61 cm) and is just an oval of track with a siding behind the sky and a line coming off at the front going to nowhere (somewhere in the future) but it's really so I can run trains in the kitchen while on the computer with the TV on and work on the beach and fishing boats (I now have a little train cupboard behind me as well and all with the permission of the powers that be  :thumbsup:).

Also it's reasonably easy to pick up and then put on the dining room table in the next room which we never use so, so far I think I'm getting away with it  ;).

Few pics now. I'm using bits and bobs and things that never got used to keep the budget down but it's slowly getting there.

Overview of the layout....

20200209_122944 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

Not sure if photos working as flickr is doing something differently so will post now and carry on later but hopefully this one shows where the fishing boats will be (on the post it) and the coffee jar is where a large rock will be. I thought the transformation from sea to sky would be impossible for me to model so there will be low rocks to the right against the sky going round behind the large rock as from where I permanently sit I won't see the join...

20200209_122748 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

More pics and ramblings later.

Cheers, weave  :beers:

« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 12:01:59 AM by weave »

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
Re: CALA CUINA (a small Southern European layout)
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 01:48:56 PM »
Looks very interesting Chris.
A different approach as the sea is on the inside not on the edge.
One to watch I think.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 01:50:17 PM »
PS.
Iím not mentioning Friday night other than the cider was fine as was the first 45 seconds of the match!

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 02:09:37 PM »
Hi again,

Have sorted Flickr so a few more pics.

I don't mind the tunnel mouth on the curve showing the tight radius too much but thought I'd hide the far end one to give the impression the track went left around the coast.

The building on the right is a Tomix Japanese beach bar but will become an Italian Pizza bar which can fit into an Izaro, Portugal or obviously Italy scenario.

Not sure what's going on top of the tunnel top left......

20200209_122842 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

20200209_122853 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

Finally, for now, I'd like some frontage to the station. The platform will be extended on the bottom left and then I hope to have a 2' x 6" add on section for palm trees and buses which will fit into my justification why express trains might stop here (Rule 1 etc.). It will just fit next to the computer and although it was an afterthought it'll probably work better as it would have made the layout heavier and more awkward to carry and also I can work on it separately.....

20200209_122956 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

Haven't done them yet but hopefully some train photos later.

Thanks for viewing.

Cheers weave  :beers:
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 02:11:17 PM by weave »

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 02:18:53 PM »
PS.
Iím not mentioning Friday night other than the cider was fine as was the first 45 seconds of the match!

Hi Martin,

I felt your pain especially after such a wonderful start  :(

Offline cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 07:59:59 PM »
 :hellosign:   :greatpicturessign:
 Very interesting Chris, look forward to following this build   :thumbsup:
       regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Offline AlexanderJesse

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 05:51:49 AM »
If the sea is on the inside... then an inspiration might be the station of the Cinqud Terre in northern Italy where the train often exits from the tunnel mouth directly into the station. Then you would a sheer cliff some 50 to 100 meters high...

Nice idea for the reuse of the table.
=================
have a disney day
vapour is just water and therefor clean

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 09:13:56 AM »
Very many thanks for those super pictures, Chris.

I really enjoy your continental layouts.  It's fascinating to see something so different from my own project.

The additional scenic section, separate from the main layout, is a good idea.  I once did something slightly similar, in order, like you, to minimise the size of the baseboard.

I look forward to seeing progress.

With best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 10:54:07 PM »
Hi all,

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement. I didn't manage to get any train pics done on Sunday as a boozy late, late lunch called for a siesta and well those in the know will know.

Although the electrics are Kato and therefore pretty simple they still need doing so all done this evening as had to work today except I just need to drill a few more holes in the board but all working fine.

Hopefully some pics tomorrow of some '60s trains and a bit of history to explain why Cala Cuina will now have more traffic than it did in the '50s.

For those that don't know me there will be '80s and '90s trains too at some point. Still can't remember what happened to the '70s, must have been a late developer  ???  ;)

Speak tomorrow, take care out there, still windy here.

Cheers, weave  :beers:

Online weave

• Awards
Re: Cala Cuina (a small Southern European layout)
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 12:15:28 AM »
Hi all,

Not a lot to report except to say sorry for the lack of promised train pics. I've always had problems with Kato #4 points but this one, the smaller one nearest the camera was behaving itself....

20200209_122803 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

Unfortunately not any more so I have replaced it with a larger #6 point like the one behind it. They are so much more reliable, however it has caused problems in that there is no way to shunt anything into the station siding as the point is so much longer. A loco will just fit to come off the oval track and go in but I wanted to be able to shunt the odd booze wagon in there for photo purposes  :).

So, the next plan is to have a 5/6" extension at the lower end (I think the layout will still be pickupable  :worried:) with an extra bit of track and also have the controller as a permanent fixture rather than just on the portable wine box sat on the stool.

This means a bit of re wiring but in the long run it should be more efficient.

Sorry, bit boring but just letting you know the progress or lack of as such.

Hope to get cracking this Weekend. Thanks for reading.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2020, 08:53:50 AM »
I know what you mean about Kato #4 turnouts, Chris.  Changing to a #6 is a good idea.

In my experience, Kato #4s are absolutely fine with Kato stock, as they are all part of a very well-executed system.  But try running one of my Union Mills locomotives over a #4 and its likely to be 'all wheels on the ballast'.  They are absolutely fine on the much sharper radius Peco 'Setrack' points, though.

Looking forward to more updates.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2020, 09:32:59 AM »
Thanks John,

Best go #6 point for running and actually it will work better as I have a long single SNCF railcar which I hadn't thought about and that should fit in the siding now as some of what I lost on the open track I gained in the siding.

Also I have to move the layout just for today and it's a bit of a pain pulling out all the wire connectors so having the controller area all self contained will be so much easier.

Am a lot happier than I was when the #4 point started playing up.

So, saw and drill out again for a while this evening to prepare for Weekend Engineering Works. Unfortunately nothing can be done tomorrow as am working for a bit and then apparently it's 'her' day and I've got to shave and wash and wear smart clothes and buy fluffy things  :doh:  :D

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2020, 11:08:38 AM »
Thanks John,

Best go #6 point for running and actually it will work better as I have a long single SNCF railcar which I hadn't thought about and that should fit in the siding now as some of what I lost on the open track I gained in the siding.

Also I have to move the layout just for today and it's a bit of a pain pulling out all the wire connectors so having the controller area all self contained will be so much easier.

Am a lot happier than I was when the #4 point started playing up.

So, saw and drill out again for a while this evening to prepare for Weekend Engineering Works. Unfortunately nothing can be done tomorrow as am working for a bit and then apparently it's 'her' day and I've got to shave and wash and wear smart clothes and buy fluffy things  :doh:  :D

Buying fluffy things.
The mind boggles  :D

Offline cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2020, 02:06:41 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
 Looking forward to seeing more Chris, I also have just one "4" point so far unused. Enjoy your fluffy things  :goggleeyes:
       regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2020, 07:32:57 AM »
Ooooooo fluffy things  :-[ :-[

Are you also planning painting in shades of grey???

Like the new layout.  :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £55.00
Site Currency: GBP
45% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal